New to Hardcore, cant increase difficulty?

Hey longtime diablo 2-3 player here but i haven’t made a single HC character until now. i wanted to make it extra scary so i went to crank up the difficulty from the get-go but it says i can’t put it past ‘expert’ until “at least one character finishes Act IV”. does this mean i have to complete the whole campaign up to diablo or JUST kill diablo in adventure mode?

About Game Difficulty: Diablo III

When you start up a game of Diablo III, you’ll be able to select the difficulty level you’d like to play on. By default, Normal, Hard, and Expert are available. You’ll unlock Master difficulty when any of your characters completes the game, and Torment difficulty when any of your characters reaches level 60. Once you’re playing, you can adjust Diablo III’s difficulty on the fly with the START button (consoles) or by opening the Game Menu (PC, default key 「ESCAPE」) and selecting 「LOWER DIFFICULTY」 or 「RAISE DIFFICULTY.」 There are some limits on how far you can raise or lower Diablo III’s difficulty while playing without recreating your game.

HC and SC are two independent modes. You need to unlock them seperately.

About “completes the game”, I think, it means killing Diablo if you don’t have RoS, or killing Malthael if you have RoS, both in Campaign Mode.

1 Like