New Rumor/Leak - D2 Remaster

Remaster is updated graphics, remake is updated game. I agree some people would be upset if it was a remake, but a lot more would be upset if it was a remaster. It would literally be the same game we all played for years and years. I don’t think that’ll make anyone but a very small niche group happy for long.

We’d need updated systems and items. That’s why Diablo 2 has survived so long - modding. Unfortunately, that small minority of players will be very vocal about leaving Diablo 2 alone. In their view. it is almost sacrilege to change anything.

then how far should they go? change gold to auto pickup is an ice QoL, but what else to not change the game all too much?

i would not say no to updated graphics, but i dont feel they should to much else either. And from what i understood its almost like making a whole new game if they want to remaster d2 since the codes are so bad from the back-up

If you say they need to upscale it more you need to give more specifics. They already made D4 open world with no loading other than entering instances. They even introduced ‘random’ attributes on each item and pretty sure the item modification will be more than any Diablo game yet.

you are talking about D4 here, while we other are talking about D2. might get a little confusing mate!

Fair enough my bad. I think they are mostly working on D4 though. Remaster of old games should wait. Especially if they are competing with other companies.

priority #1 is better endgame, like GRs/Maps or whatever. At the very least, they’d need to add that. They’d probably need to fix skills, too. Tweak the trees a little bit.

yepp, but it would not be the same team and would make a wery little impact on D4 to have a remaster for d2. but im not one who really needs a remaster, the game is kinda fine like it is to go back into from time to time.

more stoked for d4!

then they are just making another game from the base of d2, meh new stuff is what we are getting with D4, a remaster of d2 with better graphics and resolution + some QoL like gold pick up is all i would ask for while we wait for the next diablo game.

There are lots of mods for D2. U should try those. Personally i am waiting for 4. I over played D1, D2 and D3.

Also stoked for it. (If u didn’t notice)

They really do need a D4 section on this forum.

It should definitely be a remaster, not a remake.
Anyway, the remaster/remake thing is not black and white. You can have gameplay changes in a remaster. But they should of course be quite small, and not change the overall feel of the game. Whereas with a remake, basically anything goes, as long as you keep the lore/setting/whatever.

Diablo 2 with new graphics, and a shared stash would be a good foundation. Could do a few other things like stacking of gems, runes etc.
Optimally all remasters should simply have two game modes: Play the

1. Original version where the only difference is the new graphics, or
  2. New version with some gameplay changes. By keeping the original version around, the devs can go a bit further with changes in the new mode. Like balance changes, QoL etc. Even a few item adjustments.

Since when have we ever cared about what the minority thinks?

Do you consider the recent news about Classic Team “D2 news”?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/blizzard-absorbs-activision-studio-after-dismantling-classic-games-team

https://www.diablofans.com/news/49244-vicarious-visions-merges-with-blizzard

Quote from that article:

“Vicarious Visions, based in Albany, New York, has been working with Blizzard since last year on the Diablo franchise, including a planned remake of Diablo II, people familiar with the plans said. They asked not to be identified discussing private information.

AKA, unknown sources with non confirmed information. Unless D2R is announced next month at blizzconline then D2R most likely isn’t even in development at all and isn’t coming for a long time. more rumors and hearsay.

I agree.

:confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball:

Your interpretation shown below is incorrect…

Let’s look at what you posted:

They asked not to be identified. This means that their identities were known to the reporter but that the reporter respected their issues not to be identified. This occurs all the time in reporting and is often a stipulation of those providing information for not wanting adverse repercussions for speaking with a reporter.

The rules of journalism ethics in relation to source is:

For the purposes of clarity, the following definitions apply (as referenced in the AP Stylebook):

• Off the record: The information cannot be used for publication (or broadcast). The source cannot be identified.
  • On background: The information can be published (or broadcast) but only under conditions negotiated with the source. In most cases, the sources will not want their names published (or broadcast) but will agree to a description of their position (e.g. “…a senior administration official”).

From the article, there were multiple sources that confirmed the information as well as the review of internal company documents. This means that the information was confirmed.

No. We know that D4 was in development during Blizzcon 2018 and was not announced. Therefore, your hypothesis is refuted with recent historical precedence from the diablo franchise. Also, the original diablo reboot on GoG proves otherwise.

There are some interesting websites that discuss confirmation bias that might be of interest.

1 Like

We know that NOW. We didn’t know it then.

But a D2 remaster only makes sense as a bridge between releases. The time for that was like 3 years ago. Not with 2 new releases in the franchise already in active development.

My point was to show the logical fallacy in another poster’s argument.

You already stated that there are 2 new releases in development. Why would a remaster of an old title really be a stretch of the imagination? The games appeal to distinct albeit overlapping players. More money for Blizzard.

Irrespective of whether it makes sense to you personally, the reporting and taped interviews certainly indicate that a D2R is in development.

D:I appeals to a different audience than D4. There might be some overlap, but there would be vastly more overlap with a D2 versus D4. That doesn’t necessarily equal more money for Blizzard. I know that if D:I, a D2 remaster and D4 are all available at the same time. I’m buying D4, and that’s it. If a D2 remaster were not competing directly with D4, however? I’d buy that as well.

I can’t think of a scenario that gets me to buy both games if they both release around the same time. I’d always buy D4 first, and if that flops… well, that wouldn’t exactly encourage me to buy the remaster.

Ah yes, let’s hype it up. Because that’s been working out well for the Diablo community recently.

Regardless of whatever things “indicate,” I’m going to wait for a real announcement. This type of speculation does absolutely nothing positive.

There is an article on the Verge about the studio Vicarious Visions focusing exclusively on Blizzard games.

They also state that Vicarious Visions has been working on the Diablo franchise since last year. That work includes a Diablo II remake, according to Bloomberg .

And then there is more detailed reporting here:
Blizzard Absorbs Activision Studio After Dismantling Classic Games Team - Bloomberg

Jason Schreier has been reporting on Blizzard and Diablo for awhile and appears to have many sources where the accuracy of the information is independently confirmed later.

1 Like