New player with a few questions!

TLDR: New player. Not sure what I’m doing.

1. If I raise or lower the difficulty of my game, how does that affect the drop rate of the mats needed for the Kanai’s Cube from the end chest of clearing a map of bounties?

2. How can I target certain legendary affixes? Is there a way to farm particular legendaries from mobs/bosses/bounties Ect…?

3. Is the way to get better gear to simply increase the difficulty of the game? Do the same bounty on a higher difficulty and I’ll get an upgrade? How do upgrades work in this game? (Again, new player. Think master to Torment 1 at this point)

4. Barbairan. I don’t want to play “spin to win” but I fee like it’s too good not to. It does too much damage, and has more survivability and mobility than any other abilities that I might want to use instead. How do I get around this problem? (Not playing to be the best, just playing to have fun. I don’t need to get all the best gear Ect… but I still want to have as easy/difficult of time a with other abilities (seismic slam) as I do with Whirlwind. Right now it takes about twice as long to clear a bounty with Seismic Slam as it does with Whirlwind. Am I just stuck using Whirlwind because it’s just that good, or is there a way to make other abilities as viable?)

Hey guys, as a new player that just hit L70, I have a few questions that I was hoping could be answered here.

1. Just got my Kanai’s Cube. I did all the bounties in all the acts, and got some mats to extract a few legendary affixes. Cool. That’s fun. I was doing all my bounties on master difficulty. If I choose a higher or lower difficulty, will that affect how many mats I get from the chest at the end of each act? (The one from Tyrael for finishing all 5 bounties)

On master difficulty, I got 3 mats for that particular chapter. If I put it on a higher difficulty for more of a challenge, might I get 4? Likewise, if I put it straight to normal and plough through the bounties will I get less? What’s more efficient?

1. Is there any way to target certain affixes? Is there a way to farm legendaries? Do particular events/mobs/dungeons/bosses drop certain particular gear? Or is it all just RNG and a guessing game? Anything in the game can drop anything in the game.

1. How do I get better gear? While doing my bounties, and my Nephalem rift, I got a bunch of loot, but nothing was an upgrade. Do I have to do all that stuff on higher difficulties in order to get better loot? If I kick it up to Torment 1, will I start getting better upgrades, or do I have to put it up a few notches of difficulty?

1. I’m currently playing a Barbarian, and I’m having a lot of fun, but I feel that there’s really only one play style that’s viable.

I’m not here to try to cap leader boards or be the best in the game. I’m here to have fun. That being said, I want to play a build where I can charge around, and use my Cleave ability and Seismic Slam. However, even though doing that is fun, I feel locked in to using Whirlwind. It’s just too good not to use. It does a lot more damage, and has a lot better survivability, and a lot more mobility.

How do I get around this? I know that there’s a Seismic Slam legendary affix. Maybe that will help. But that then goes back to question 2. How do I get that particular one?

Thanks in advance for the help. I know noob questions like this can be frustrating for some people to have to answer over and over, but I’m a new player, and a lot of guides only go into high end stuff that A- I’m not ready for, and B- don’t know anything about.

Ps. I don’t plan on grouping up with people. Nobody’s going to want to do content at my difficulty range. I’ll just hold people back and frustrate them.

Edited for Grammar and punctuation.

Bounty mats:
Normal - Master = 3 mats
T1 -T6 = 6 mats
T7 - T9 = 8 mats
T10 = 10 mats
T11 = 12 mats
T12 = 14 mats
T13 = 16 mats
T14 = 18 mats
T15 = 20 mats
T16 = 22 mats

And yes, higher level Torment means more drops, therefore more of a chance to get an upgrade.

2 Likes

Now, every time I log out, the bounties reset. Can I just do them over and over and continue to get the end chest and the mats with it? Or can I only do them once per day?

1. Already answered above.
  2. Diablo does not allow you to target gear drops or farm them from specific mobs with some exceptions. Those exceptions are for interesting cosmetic items for transmogs.
  3. Level 70 class sets only drop from Torment 1 and up. The same gear drops in any difficulty, but drop chances go up in higher difficulties. Exception, to unlock Primal Ancient drops you need to clear a level 70 Greater Rift solo for that mode.
  4. Barb stuff I will leave for barb experts.

Yes, you can do them over and over. Leaving the game resets everything you already cleared, including Bounties. It is not like WoW where you have daily quests.

Oh, another hint - Legendary drop rates go up in higher difficulties, which you know. However, they are also double in Rifts. So, you might want to do rifts for a a while. You can also spend the blood shards you get with Kadala on mystery armor. Sometimes she gives you something good. You can also use the cube to upgrade a rare item into a legendary. If you are looking to get a specific weapon that is a good way to move that along.

Edit for links.

Game Guide covering all sorts of stuff and has a list of items you can find. Game Guide - Diablo III

Cosmetics, Wings, and Pets thread List of all Wings, Cosmetics, Pets, and Promos

2 Likes

Man, the Diablo community is so much more helpful and friendlier than all the other Blizz communities.

I really appreciate the help guys.

2 Likes

You will find some great people on this forum, just stay away from the trolls and the snow flakes. Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay. :metal: This might also help.

1 Like

You need to be playing SEASON mode . That will help you a lot .

Concerning Legendary drop rates (from Icy Veins website)

For the sake of information, the bonus to legendary drop chance inside bounties scales as such:

• No bonus on Normal to Master;
  • 15% on Torment I;
  • 32% on Torment II;
  • 52% on Torment III;
  • 75% on Torment IV;
  • 101% on Torment V;
  • 131% on Torment VI;
  • 164% on Torment VII;
  • 205% on Torment VIII;
  • 256% on Torment IX;
  • 320% on Torment X;
  • 400% on Torment XI;
  • 500% on Torment XII;
  • 625% on Torment XIII.

And as mentioned above, create a Seasonal character. Various rewards can be earned for completion of the journey - a stash tab, a full armor set as a gift, portrait frames and an exclusive pet.

2 Likes

By completion of the journey, do you mean the story mode, or making it to L70? Likewise, can I use my newly acquired Kanai’s Cube affixes?

I’m assuming everything transfers over just like any other character?

Seasonal heroes have a Season Journey to complete. It consists of a number chapters, split up into tasks, and rewards are granted for completion of the chapters. (Note, these are not the same as chapters in the Campaign). As an overview, take a look here…
https://d3resource.com/journey/

I just looked at the character creation screen for the seasonal heroes, and it sais that you can’t use any non-seasonal items, and that everything is essentially separate from my main heroes.

Once I get the rewards (mainly the gear set) will that be transferred to my main hero? Do I do that through the stash that isn’t connected? Or is it patterns that I’ll get that will allow me to craft the items on my main hero?

Finishing the Story in normal mode unlocks Adventure mode. Perfect! Glad you did that!

Seasons are a chance to start from scratch but earn really nice rewards that carry over to non-season when done (at the end of the Season which is usually 3 months). You get a FULL set of Class armor that is a major power boost as well as cosmetics. Also, Adventure mode is unlocked by default in Seasons.

So - Seasons start from NOTHING, but whatever you earn there carries back to non-season.

Season 20 info and rewards Season 20 Now Live - Diablo III

Old article, but it covers how seasons end and how your experience, gold, gear, etc all carries over to non season. Season 13 Ending Soon - Diablo III

Yeah, last one of those they published was…
https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22312196/season-14-ending-soon-8-31-2018
Not sure why they no longer publish one of these as these blogs cover a lot of frequently asked questions that get posted around the time a season’s due to end and would seem to require not much more than some dates / times as the only alterations.

Oh, and for the OP…

1 Like

Also, a quick thank you to those helping tonight!

:tea: :wine_glass: :beers: :bread:

Yeah, in Season you start from scratch with nothing, but it levels fast. You could always get a power level, but I generally discourage that for new players as they skip out on learning the game (but you finished campaign and probably have a good working idea of how the game works to a degree, so that wouldn’t apply here). It’s separate from your non-season - nothing is shared between them at this point. Just consider them as 2 Mirror Universes to each other.

For the rewards, you don’t receive anything for finishing Chapter I, but starting with Chapter II you receive 2 pieces of the armor set for finishing, Chapter III you get 2 more pieces, and after Chapter IV you get the last pieces. Also some neat looking wings this season. You only get one free set per season so be sure of which class you want to get it. But don’t worry, enough set pieces drop on their own during play that you will likely see ALL the armor sets before season ends. After that comes Slayer, Destroyer, Guardian, Congueror, etc. for different rewards

At end of season you keep everything you earned, it just rolls over into non-season.

Edit: I see on your profile you made a seasonal Barbarian. Good choice - the armor set for Barbs this season is the Immortal Kings. One of the things you have to do is complete a set dungeon and Immortal Kings is arguably one of the easiest set dungeons in the game. Everybody hates set dungeons but you almost have to try to fail the IK one.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any insight on my Barbarian Whirlwind issue?

Can you explain set dungeons a bit? I’ve never heard that term before. Do you basically have to do a dungeon in order to get your set? When does that pop up?

I’l try :grinning:. Each class has 4 armor sets (for now, new ones are being introduced but that’s a separate issue) and each has a dungeon associated with it. If you have all 6 pieces of a set you can enter that dungeon and if you complete it’s objectives you get credit. In regular non-season there are two sets of cosmetic wings you can for completing all set dungeons for all classes. In season you have to Master at least one to get credit during the season journey.

Each one has different objectives - kill XX number of enemies while doing such and such , etc. in the time allowed.

There are videos on Youtube showing how to do the majority of them. Search for ‘Diablo III Immortal Kings set dungeon’ and it’ll show you what needs to be done for it. Like I mentioned it is super easy.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

These are dungeons you do once you have your full set, not to earn it…

The easiest of these is the Immortal King dungeon and, as IK is the free set this season, that’s a good choice.

1 Like

Since you are already playing seasonal and can play adventure mode, as soon as you can play T2, start doing rifts. If you do a level 13 greater rift without spending gold, you can begin accumulating legendry gems with a 100% upgrade chance on all 4 level increases if you complete the GR in less than 15 minutes. If you die in the GR but complete in less than 15 minutes, you will only be able to upgrade a gem 3 levels. Legendry gems can be socketed in jewelry to add a legendry power.

There are websites that give you directions on how to equip sets. Sets allow you to survive higher GR levels which give you more legendry items and more materials. At higher GR levels you upgrade legendry gems to higher levels making them more powerful. One of the more comprehensive sites is Icy Veins. Just Google Icy Veins.

Playing seasonal allows you to get a complete set of armor. Shift J will open the page that shows your season journey progress and what tasks remain to be completed to complete each chapter of the season journey.

When you have a complete armor set, you can do a set dungeon associated with that set. Diablo Wiki has a page that gives you the location of each set dungeon. Just Google Set Dungeons and look for the Diablo Wiki page that shows “full list”.

1 Like

John! you play a lot of Barbarian. How do I get away from Whirlwind? I don’t really want to use it, because I’m not a huge fan of the “spin-to-win” method. I want more utility and different abilities.

But it’s too good to give up. It deals so much damage, and has better survivability and mobility than using other abilities.

Do I just equip gear and affixes that value different abilities and force new play styles to be better than Whirlwind?