New player here seeking advice and answers

Never played Diablo before, I bought the D3 Battle Chest last night thou and having a blast! I have a bunch of question (pretty excited about D3 even thou is a bit old).

Would you recommend creating a wizard as your first hero? If yes, which one would you recommend? (I tend to pick up game mechanics quick)

When will I start to notice the difference in heroes/builds tiers (many say the wizard is useless and a gimp). Will it be really difficult to get group invites later on if I don’t chose the right hero now?

If I create a season hero now, will I have enough time to get the season rewards before it ends?

What happens when the season ends and I’m not at the level cap or done with the campaign? Will I lose the opportunity to get the season rewards forever?

Do I have to always create a new hero every time a new season starts? What happens to the old heroes, just taking dust and then delete them when I need a new slot to create a new hero?

1. For first hero choose the class that fits your play style. Like beating monsters in the face with axes and swords? Go with Barbarian. Shooting them with a bow from a distance? Demon Hunter. Stand back and blast with fire and ice? Wizard. Like to let summoned imps and skeletons do your dirty work? Witch Doctor or Necromancer. Mixture of the 2? Crusader or Monk.

2. Don’t sweat differences and builds and tiers for now. You’re new to the game. Just play and have fun. Competitive play can come later.

3. Yes, you have plenty of time to finish season and get the rewards. Seasons last usually around 3 months and this one has 2 months to go.

4. At season end you heroes revert over to non-seasonal with all their gear and gold intact. And yes, the opportunity for that season rewards are over until at some point in the future when they recycle through them again.

5. Yes, you start every season with a lvl 1 hero, but do not delete your old ones! They can be ‘rebirthed’ the next season. You have 3 ‘rebirths’ per season. You can read about that later.

Other tips)
Play campaign as a tutorial, then switch to adventure mode. Season journey is done in that mode.
Do not take a ‘power level’ on your first toon. You’ll lose out on a chance to learn the game as you level up.
Go to icy-veins . com. Good reference site for new player. Lots of tips, tricks and things to look for.

Main thing - Have fun and good luck.

4 Likes

Indeed, you may find it difficult to join Public groups if you choose an unpopular Class/Build.
Try joining a Clan or Community with similar interests to yours.
That may be more enjoyable than playing with random people.

2 Likes

Is there a hero set I should try to acquire this season before it’s over? Like I would be missing out if I don’t get it now (maybe because it’s consider BiS or for any other reason).

This is assuming I would only have enough time to level up one hero before the season is over.

Well, I see you have a wizard and a monk started. Remember, you will receive a full set for completing the first 4 chapters of the season - 2 pieces of the set for Chapter II, 2 more pieces for chapter III and the final pieces for chapter IV. These sets rotate from season to season. This season set for the wizard is the Firebirds Finery set, which sucks (it is the worst set in the game). The season set for the monk is the Monkey Kings Garb, which rocks! Go for the monk set. And remember, you HAVE to claim all the rewards with the same character to get the full set - don’t open 1 Haedrig’s Gift with one hero and another Haedrigs Gift with another. It will give reward based on what class opens it, so watch for that. After you complete chapter II, you will see a small green envelope in the lower left corner, that is telling you to check your mail. Claim the reward to inventory then r-click to open and receive your gear. And you only get one ‘free’ set per season, so choose wisely which class you want to receive it (my advice - go for the monk). And of course as you are playing other pieces from other sets will be dropping, so it is possible to gather all sets during the season. But getting that free one helps a ton.

And yes, you should be able to level more than one hero befoe season ends.

1 Like

Phew! Glad I asked, lots of info I didn’t know. Thanks!

So, does it matter if I open the Haedrigs gift right away even if I’m not at max level, or should I wait until I’m max level to open the gifts?

I’m also currently doing the Campaign, should I be doing the Adventure Mode instead then go back to the campaign? — I think this last question sounds dumb, sorry about that.

You’ll be at lvl 70 before you get the first gift (one objective of chapter II is reach lvl 70), so open right away. And yeah, go ahead and do adventure mode. The whole world map is open to you. You’ll level faster that way. Can always do campaign mode later. Campaign is basically a tutorial. But remember, you will have to complete the campaign story line at least once to unlock adventure mode in non-season.

Also, learn how to use the Mystic to enchant your gear! Very important! You want your gear bonuses to match your selected skills and she can do that for you. You can change one stat line per piece (although you can change that one line as many times as you want).

p.s. There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. We were all new players at one point, so don’t be afraid or ashamed to ask.

1 Like

That’s not correct. Any Class can claim Haedrig’s Gifts.

That is correct.

To be clear: Yokahu’s Wizard could claim ALL of Haedrig’s Gifts and put them in their Stash. Then, let their Monk open them to get the full free Monk Set.

I would say yes, switch to Adventure Mode and complete the Season. You still have plenty of time. Seasons are done in Adventure Mode, with one exception, which you don’t need to worry about at this time.

Normally, we tell new players to complete the Campaign first. This way, you get the story line and can learn your way around the game. But, you already have two Seasonal Characters. And with 2 months left, you don’t have to rush through it.

You can always finish the Campaign at the end of the Season. There’s usually 2 weeks before the next Season starts.

Tip: Create a non-Season Character to play through the Campaign. Never delete or Rebirth this Character. If you do, your Progression will reset and you’ll have to unlock Adventure Mode again (in Campaign Mode). When the new Season starts, you can Rebirth one of your current Seasonal Characters. They will start all over, at Level 1, but they retain their Lifetime Kills and total hours played. Your non-Seasonal Character (that you don’t delete or Rebirth) will be your “placeholder” Character. As long as you keep them, Adventure Mode will be unlocked for you to play between Seasons.
Good luck and good hunting!  

I know that. But to get the full set all gift should be opened by the same toon is what I am saying. Don’t open one gift with his wizard and one gift with his monk.

What’s the most efficient way to level up (besides power leveling)?
I put the campaign in hold and jumped to adventure mode. Was a bit overwhelmed but started doing Bounties. Should I keep doing them, how else can I gain xp, maybe free roaming?

Well, several ways:

Massacre bonuses - go to the Festering Woods in Act I and run around to group enemies into mobs, then blast em all down together quickly. You’ll receive extra experience for ‘massacre bonus’. Do that in all areas of Act I that have large open areas with lots of monsters, once cleared restart a new game and do it again :slight_smile:

Cains Set - at lvl 23 there is a set of armor you can craft that gives bonus experience. It is called Cains. The recipe should drop fairly early while doing bounties so yeah, run a few rounds of those until that plan drops. Teach it to the blacksmith, craft a set and watch your experience go through the roof. Create 3 of the pieces, except for the head piece - see below.

Leorics Crown - you’ve probably had one of those drop by now. Wear it and put the highest level ruby you can make at the jeweler in it. Rubies give exp. bonus (when placed in helms) and the crown doubles it, so a win-win! As you are able to make higher and higher level gems replace the ruby with the next higher one.

Nephilim rifts - Boring at low levels, but you’ll get gold and lots of mats for use later on.

Also, get Kanai’s Cube. It’s a game changer! Talk to Zoltun Khule in town. He wants you to go to the Ruins of Sescheron and get his cube for him. It is in Act III, northeast corner of the map. In there you are looking for the entrance to The Elder Sanctum. The cube is in there. It’s a fairly large zone, with lots of mobs (good exp.) so it may take a bit of looking to find. Cube can do all kinds of things that make or break your adventure. Google it and read what it can do for you. (edit: if you are having trouble getting the cube, send me a friends request and I’ll come help you get it. Nefertiri#1907)

Good luck!

1 Like

You need Bounty Mats to extract Legendary Powers from Legendary items using Kanai’s Cube. You need to extract 20 Powers for a Season Objective. You need to equip your 3 Legendary Powers (in Kanai’s Cube) for another Season Objective. And to complete the Season Journey Guardian Chapter you need to extract a total of 40 Legendary Powers.

Check your Season Journey Objectives here: D3 Planner, Season Journey Tracker

You can start by doing a few rounds of Bounties. (Round of Bounty = All 5 Bounties in each of all 5 Acts and turn each one into Tyrael as you complete an Act). You need one of each Bounty Mat to extract a Legendary Power and you want to equip 3 Legendary Powers as soon as possible to boost your Character’s efficiency. (They don’t need to be your Class build required Powers. Just try to equip useful Powers depending on the Legendary items that drop for you early in the Season).

You can save doing most of your Bounties until later in the Season. At higher Game Difficulties you’ll get increased loot, including Bounty Mats, from the Bounty Cache you earn from Tyrael.

You can alternate between Bounties and Nephalem Rifts to keep from getting burnt out on either one. At Level 61 you’ll start collecting Death’s Breath’s needed to complete the Blacksmith’s and Jeweler’s Training. You’ll also need 5 DBs for each Legendary Power you extract. (That’s 17 total you need just for starters). Nephalem Rifts are also where you collect Greater Rift Keystones.

At Level 70 you’ll be eligible to run Greater Rifts and begin collecting your Legendary Gems. You can alternate between Bounties, Rifts and Greater Rifts as needed.

Good source of information: D3 Planner - Difficulty Overview

When you’re in-game, press Shift+J to bring up your Season Journey Window. Here you will see the Season Objectives you need to complete for each Chapter. Note: To earn the rewards for a particular Chapter you must complete all previous Chapters too.

Once you complete Season Chapter IV (Chapter 4), the Season Journey Window will not automatically advance. You can still complete subsequent Chapters, but to see the Objectives for Slayer through Guardian Chapters you must click the Enlist button in the right side panel of the Season Journey Window for each subsequent Chapter.

Season Journey Rewards:

• Complete Chapters I and II for your first Haedrig’s Gift.
  • Complete Chapters I through III for your second Haedrig’s Gift.
  • Complete Chapters I through Chapters IV to earn your final Haedrig’s Gift, Portrait Frames and Cosmetic Pet.
  • Complete Chapters I through Conqueror to earn an extra Stash Tab. (The maximum you can have is 13). You also continue to earn the Season Chapter Portrait Frames.
  • Complete all 9 Chapters through Guardian to earn the new Portrait Frame and new Cosmetic Pet.

Good luck and good hunting!  

1 Like

A lot of good info in this thread, thanks!

I can tell I’m running into a new issue now… I’m hoarding.
What should I be keeping in my stash, what should I be salvaging and what should I sell?

Every time I get a rare or better for hero class I might roll in the near future, I stash it. Should I stop doing that? I’m about level 42 lol… I just think those items would be useful later on in an alt.

Also, I already spent 100k gold in a new stash tab. Should I keep buying tabs or maybe I just need to manage it better.

1 Like

We’ve all “been there, done that”. Some of us still do. You’ll learn soon enough what to keep and what not to keep.

• Gems.
  • Infernal Machines
  • Ramaladni’s Gifts (Consumables).
  • Components for a Staff of Herding (Every player should have one).
  • Legendary Gems1.
  • Legendary Potions. (Maybe keep a couple of each type. Extras can be salvaged).
  • Puzzle Rings. (Transmuting one in the Cube will open a Portal to The Vault).
  • Bovine Bardiches. (Transmuting one in the Cube will open a Portal to Not the Cow Level).
  • Set items for your Class Set Dungeons.
  • Legendary support items for your Class build.
  • Items to equip on your favorite Follower.
  • Useful Primal items. (Salvage useless ones for 15 Forgotten Souls each).
  • Normal (white) items.
  • Magic (blue) items2 you’re not currently using.
  • Rare (yellow) items2 you’re not currently using.
  • All items you don’t want or won’t use. (You’ll learn which ones in time).

Nothing. Gold is plentiful. Especially on higher Difficulties. Salvage, don’t sell. (If you get items you can’t salvage, you can sell those just to get rid of them).

YES.

They’re not. Trust me. You’ll find better items as you level up. Your alternates will find their own. The only exception is Legendary and Set items an alternate might put to use early on. But, you’ll learn more about that as you gain more D3 game experience.

Keep in mind that the Stash Tabs you can buy for in-game Gold are ALREADY YOURS. YOU OWN THEM. Only buy them if and when you need them. If you don’t buy them in the Season, you can always unlock them in non-Season. Once you’ve earned your 5 extra Stash Tabs by completing the Conqueror Chapter in 5 subsequent Seasons, you’ll start each new Season with 8 Stash Tabs. The 5 you earned in Seasons will become 5 you unlock with in-game Gold in later Seasons3.

1 When doing Season Objectives that require you to Level 3 Legendary Gems to a particular Rank, make sure you keep those LGems in your Stash or on your Character. DO NOT use any of them to augment your gear or give them to an alternate Character until you complete those Objectives. Urshi must “see” all three Gems for you to get credit for those Objectives. They are NOT cumulative.

2 Items drop at your Character Level. So, you’ll always find better versions of all items. And saving these (white, blue, yellow) items for an alternate Character is moot.

3                D3:RoS - Maximum Stash Tabs

Product Free For Gold Subtotal
Diablo III     1         3 =         4
Reaper of Souls         2 =         2
Necromancer     2 =         2
Seasons   ̲ ̲5̲ *       _̲_̲ =       ̲ ̲5̲
Total     8         5 =       13
* Earn one Stash Tab by completing the Conqueror Chapter in a Season. Maximum: 5 Tabs in 5 Seasons.

Asᴋ ɴᴏᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ ᴄᴀɴ ᴅᴏ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ - ᴀsᴋ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ᴅᴏ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ.

I do not hide from my enemies.
I do not run from my assailants.
I seek them out; I hunt them down;
and then, I quickly dispatch them. ~𝑃𝑒𝑟𝑢𝑠𝑜𝑒

2 Likes

Is Life on Hit gear stat worth it?

I’ve been trying to stack it as I level up in my monk. I have around 5k LoH and 45k hit points, so I figured that as long as I’m constantly hitting something I could face tank anything.

But now I’m starting to think my approach is not too optimal since I can’t find anyone stacking it (looking at the players profiles and inspection their heroes). I have only died once ( because I was constantly frozen and couldn’t hit anyone) but my game setting is only on Hard, so maybe that’s why I’m not dieing.

So, should I change my approach on LoH and prioritize other stats? If so, I wouldn’t be sure how to survive in fights.

I would not spend too much time trying to optimize your gear if you are still leveling to 70, because you will constantly be changing out your gear for better pieces.

Concentrate on Dexterity, Vitality, and All Resist so that you have high toughness. On pieces that can roll crit, such as rings, amulet and bracers, try to get crit chance and crit damage.

As a monk, you have lots of available healing skills, and I would use those in combination with at least one Life on hit or life on kill stat. The other places where you have life on hit should be in Dex Vit, and all res.

If you have high toughness, you will need very little healing, and a little bit of healing will go a long way, because you will not be losing much health.

1 Like

You’ve come a long way, pilgrim. Congrats on 70! Now your seasons’ journey can begin in earnest. It’s fairly self explanatory as you go along, but by all means feel free to ask away if you have any questions.

p.s. Now that you leveled one toon on your own I guess it’s okay if you got power leveled! :crazy_face: j/k play how you prefer.

1 Like

Haha thanks, it was a great journey! My monk has come a long way…

Still working thru Chapter IV Seasonal tasks. I’m on Master difficulty at the moment, and my Monk feels really powerful. Gonna change it to Torment VI tomorrow and see how it goes.

Im also trying to decipher where to spend the Paragon points, I haven’t spent a single one yet to not mess it up.

Don’t worry, you can reassign paragon points anytime.

1 Like

For your paragons - movement speed, cooldown reduction , all resistance and resource cost reduction probably help the most at the early stages. But as Mask said you can reset them at any time, as many times as you like.

1 Like