New monk set seem to go against gameplay philosophy

I don’t get it…
Blizzard time and time again mentioned that passive gameplay is not something they aim to make players have.

Yet, 7+ years after initial launch, we get a set that its design philosophy is straight up bizarre and offensive towards that idea.

A: No attack that the monk does will damage anything, since he has to just… wait for things to die in the swirl of Sweeping wind
B: This clearly relies on filling the skillbar by nothing but defensive abilities and cyclone strike, since again, no active attack does significant damage to enemies.

I thought we are done with DoTs and waiting for enemies to die. I would like my monk’s attacks to damage enemies, actively please. Release me from the Wave of Light jail i am in for the past 3+ years. If i would like to clear screens and fast, i would obviously run that one.

“well, smartboy, what would you suggest?” well… that stuff inside Sweeping Wind will actively be taking more damage from other abilities… please?

Thanks.

5 Likes

Shall we wait for people to test it first?

8 Likes

The damage increase is temporary so you have to keep hitting with TR to keep it stacked.

Also, sweeping wind dies if you don’t attack so, again, you have to keep hitting. There is a belt that keeps it going as long as it is not doing damage, but if you are using SW to hit things, then you have to hit along with it using another attack or it will die even with the belt.

It is true that the thing you are hitting with isn’t the thing doing the most damage.

Having to constantly TR will make this a very active build.

Nothing seem “very active” to me by casting a non-damaging skill on enemies to keep a DoT up. This is not what monks were designed for, this seems very wrong.

Boss fights, especially in higher GRs are going to be dragged into a patience game of just keeping the DoT up and waiting. This isn’t monk, idk what this is…

Like said, i think many will agree that having SW rather apply a debuff for some skills to come in might be a better, more versatile build maker.

I guess we’ll have to wait for the steam to blow this weekend. I never skipped a PTR, and not planning on doing so this time.

1 Like

Passive is usually considered just wandering about while damage happens - a pet build for example. Active is usually considered “you have to keep doing things”. This build should be active based on that.

If you just wander about with this set, the damage will disappear very quickly.

If you are worried about just sitting there as a gamer, you won’t be. You will be actively participating in what is happening on the screen. SW doesn’t target enemies on its own, you will have to position it to do its damage, and you will have to be somewhat constantly casting TR both to position yourself, and to keep the stacks up, and possibly to apply CC for both DR and triggering other damage bonuses. You will have a lot to do.

If you are worried about “but the button I keep mashing isn’t a damage button”, then that isn’t quite true (TR does damage, it just doesn’t get the huge multiplier), but it is true that button isn’t the bulk of your damage. I wouldn’t say that makes the build “not active” since you do have to keep mashing it and you do have to aim it and you do have to aim it strategically. You will have a lot to do - thus “active”. Find some other word to describe what you don’t like about this set, but it is “active”.

While we can’t tell for sure until the PTR is up, the fact that the bonus requires 30 stacks “within a short period” could require you to be constantly using TR as fast as you can to maintain the stacks. And the frequency of them may become quite a challenge depending on what they are calling “a short period” to maintain the stacks.

2 Likes

Isn’t the PTR part of the end user critique to a new sets viability and determined issues? Take it for a spin, think out of the box on how it will play, then write about what’s good vs bad. Blizzard is not complacent, if changes are needed they will happen.

I think Sweeping Wind is more like an aura than a dot.

This is the tempest rush build that those two in the video saw from a guy on the consoles and ranked with it at the very last day of Season 2 (everyone at that time played another subpar monk build).

Gameplay wise I would say it’s in the middle between active and passive.

1 Like

Quin96 looks so relaxed back then in that YouTube. lol

1 Like

This won’t be anything more than a speed build. I just wish we didn’t have to use TR with it.

I’d much prefer to use a generator with it to proc cyclones like I used to in vanilla.

At least Barbs got something this patch. Unfortunately it also means that Monks are most likely going to be the absolute weakest solo class in the game.

3 Likes

I am not a fan of this skill. But I hope it is competitive, it will be another option.
However, my only concern will be about balance.

We currently have a delicate balance between WoL, Gen and Explosive Palm. If the skill of this new set is stronger, unfortunately these builds will die.

Well, I hoped LTK was buffed, or maybe Static Monk’s ability could come back as a good trashKiller.

2 Likes

It will be the new Chantodo.

Hit like wet tissue to collect stacks and then just run around like a headless chicken, letting SW doing all the killing.

what balance you talking about? Explosive palm is completely unusable, its totally subpar because you dont have enough defense to clear high GR. If you talk about GR 70 then yes.

Generator is also way inferior to WOL.
WOL is like bazooka wizard, boring and we have enough of this crap.

1 Like

I would add that the need to “add a speed build” is also strange to me.

The supporting items of WoL are so powerful, we have 3 whole set options to choose from (Inna, SWK, LoN) to run it with. Its fast, high on survive-ability, extremely high on damage, and can clear whole screens.

The Monk IMO does not need another, possibly sub-par speed build.

I would really, really like to see some sort of change in mechanics for this one. Being able to increase the radius of SW to perform other, large variety of attacks with it can open up some great options. Give us tools to be creative, don’t lock us down again.

3 Likes

???
Did you look at the leaderboard? Uliana is rank 1 Asia (127) with 2800 paragon (good map but no conduit)
WoL is 130 with 4k + paragon …
R6 / Shenlong is extremely dependent on FD RNG and good elites, yet RXT made 133 at 12m +. They don’t use this build in season because it’s so hard to play.

A:Incorrect. . . Tempest rush is MANDATORY for this new set. If you don’t think that is an ‘active’ skill. you don’t know monk~
B: Incorrect… besides the above - you need mystic ally and montra to keep your resources high enough to run tempest rush or the whole build goes to SHIET.

I’ve played ‘tempest rush’ build and its far from “Passive” - just like any other build it requires certain things and simply having a “skill bar with only defensive abilities” is far from the truth. dare i say you are ignorant or just trolling?

1 Like

TR is not mandatory. It enables SW to have an increased radius. The bonus to SW of 10,000% is after the period in the TR sentence of the 6 piece bonus in the patch notes so SW will always be buffed by 10,000% with the 6 piece in effect, even without TR on your skill bar.

1 Like

So you call two people using those builds with extreme RnG a delicate balance?

/smh

Tickling mobs with a wet noodle (again, 0 buff to this skill) to provide sweeping wind damage seem to be backwards logic in active game design mechanics. Applying damage actively with an AoE as a tool in the background should be the design, and not the opposite.

This is exactly the problem i was talking about. Look at the amount of resources a player need to invest to apply an AoE ticking damage as a single source of damage in this build! doesn’t it look completely backwards in logic to you?

No, I call it delicate balance old builds that were used in push by the best diablo players. So we know with 99% accuracy how far each can go. If you do not agree, I will be happy to read your arguments.