New info about NHAM bug from PezRadar (fixed I think)

I think that’s the basic gist of it, but again I still haven’t read it very closely so I’ll need to go back and reread.

Ya i read it twice and still wanted to make sure i fully understand the bug as well as the “fix” for it. lol

2 Likes

He doesn’t really specify if there have been significant changes between the beta client version and what we’ll see on live. I would guess we didn’t see these fixes in beta given how common rubberbanding was in beta?

3 Likes

Alright, I’ve looked at it again and this is how I understand NHAM bug.

It’s a desync/miscommuncation between the client and server sides of D2, on bnet the client is running on your computer and the server is running on the bnet servers, in single player the client and server are both running locally on your computer which is why NHAM is also present in single player.

The bug is that when you get interrupted, serverside this is properly handled and your character is interrupted so your attack/spell fails and your animation is supposed to get interrupted. However, this isn’t properly communicated clientside so it continues the animation anyways which makes it appear that you always miss your attacks/spells.

The fix makes it so that the client and server are properly synced up so that the animation is interrupted clientside.

At least that’s how I understand NHAM bug, I could be wrong. It has nothing to do with latency/ping/netcode though I think.

2 Likes

as far as i can tell it says that you will now see things more accurate to the server so it will behave the same way it does now it just wont look like you were attacking any more because the glitch/bug was actually the animation not the attack not going through.

2 Likes

Yep, I think that’s the proper explanation. So it is a bug but for a different reason than people thought.

The de-sync made the animation on client keep performing, while on server were “stopped”. So, with their optimizaton the problem shouldn’t happen at same degree or frequency, could happen if you have a really poor connection, but would be really rare to actually happen.The NHAM in theory was a hit that got canceled, maybe the dodge/evasion from amazon and other character locks could be also based in the same pattern.

I knew it had something to do with server and client, when D2R got leaked for the last time right before it was announced I played a ladder at the time after I finished the last ladder and I started getting the MHAM so often and other issues that I never had before and I knew it had to do with something they changed server side that got the client to act that way

So when i got evade animation while fend, fend animation should not finish after evade, but due the bug it did? But that’s not the case anymore and i can start a new fend series directly after the evade?

If that’s the case, it’s fixed :astonished:

maybe? Evade/dodge animation cancelling out Fend might be a separate bug. Since NHAM bug seems to stem from you being put into hit recovery? this whole thing is so weird. It sounds fixed though if your character stops the attack/spell animation when something else occurs. Wither its being put into hit recovery or another spells animation. Hopefully at least.

Not really a big deal to me.

I thought this was a bug that even happened in single player, not just bad online. I guess I’m wrong?

it sounds like it was also a bug in general with the spell/attack animations continuing when they were interrupted. Like if you get interrupted in the middle of Nova, itll still cast the Nova but itll look like it didnt hit any monsters, even in SP. Now that should be fixed and you won’t see the Nova, since it didn’t actually exist.

1 Like

So how does fixing the online fix an issue that happens offline? I guess there is no reason wondering. Just a few more days and everything will be well documented anyways.

He explained how the bug occured online and how its fixed. It would be beyond stupid if they ONLY fixed this bug online and it still occurs in SP, don’t you think? lol (maybe im giving them too much credit)

But they specifically said they didn’t touch the bug itself and that they think the bug was linked to online netcode. In that case, how does fixing the online Netcode fix offline that doesn’t even use netcode?

I feel like these are 2 separate issues and they fixed half of it. I hated teleporting online with fast cast rate and every other teleport didn’t move me. That’s the issue I think they fixed.

No, he explained what we perceived as the NHAM bug. Not that the bug wasn’t fixed, it was never a bug in the first place with anything missing, it was a bug with the animation continuing after it had been interrupted. So i really hope they fixed whatever caused the animation to continue in SP as well.

2 Likes

I re-read the post and it specifically says these issues are a client/server issue and everything they changed was sync related. Nothing about fixing client only issues.

Player does something → Server says no → Player still does it but it does not exist.

Single player does not have this check.

I know. which is why i said in my first post im just assuming they also fixed whatever caused the animation to continue in SP. obviously this issue was worse online and they found the exact cause. They should be able to hunt down the cause of the same bug in SP. cross your fingers.

I’m all for that, It sounds like they haven’t yet, but it’s a step closer.