New D4 Dev Update

Looks like ATTACK and DEFENSE are still in the game, the shallowest form of stat itemization that makes mobile games look complex. Also, the talent trees are even less complex than the shallow trees in diablo 2, which is a feat in and of itself. It’s okay though, they flipped some UI elements and changed some graphic filters on inventory graphics :^). The direction they are heading in is making me REALLY optimistic for release! /s

5 Likes

There is a “details” button at the bottom of the character inventory.

https://i.imgur.com/NGFEfef.png

and I think it will work like D3 details where it will show more information and stat of your character.

1 Like

Awe… widdle bubba dun dwopped his sippy cup

Truthfully, whether in D2 or D3 (or Grim Dawn for that matter) stats are not really that complex at all. Are they a knowledge check? Sure, but it isn’t that hard to figure out and see the information scrolling as you add numbers to a stat.

What will matter are the Affixes, Suffixes, and how the ‘Legend Dust’ (the unique item you can add to a Rare) and the interaction of Rares to Legends act. Those were the most interesting parts of itemization in most ARPGs because those are the areas that allow you to really play with a character outside of a predetermined route (the tree).

As for the skill tree/system the truth is until we see an in-depth layout of the system I’d assume that it is still being worked on. That was changed in D3 at the 10th hour and I think (or hope, take your pick) that it is still in it’s infancy stages of development.

I’m sure, Attack and Defence will be just complex “finishing” stats, which all players are going for in all ARPGS. But usually people do their math in 3rd party programs to calculate their “real effective” dps (Attack) and so called “EHP” (Defence). Here the game will do that for you. Convenient.

Good to see and already with concerning numbers :smiley: #criticaldamage

1 Like

Deal with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/dr4koj/list_of_affixes_from_the_diablo_4_demo/

See the list and use CTRL+F for “Critical”

I am dealing with it with giving my opinion :slight_smile:
Thanks for your attention

I like they put some attention onto “breaking conventions” with monsters but there are 2 problems at announcing it AT THIS particular stage/time

1. Simply can’t (or at least shouldn’t) pretend nothing bad happened already, both with the reveal/feedback as well as the recent events with the company itself
  2. They are STILL using the PR bull style of describing stuff. AS IF they’re intended for those that are on the inside of the company to read… I’d much rather have an “overview of what is attempted” to change/update things rather than things like:
  • parallel platform development
  • new race/family of monsters

And they even did a “reveal video” which got like 1/4 ratio of likes/dislikes and rightfully so… That reveal vid was mostly a “wax model” with rotating camera lol

Don’t get me wrong = IF ANYTHING, again, I’m HAPPY they’re revisiting/changing the Monsters (hopefully along with a monster-behavior algorythm, at least one of the issues I talked about as very important), but can’t help but feel it’s the “same old PR methodology” that in the first place made things worse

PLS change the inventory too. like d2-d3

Because “complexity” makes a game more enjoyable to play.

As long as Attack and Defense are just two out of hundreds of stats, they are fine.
Attack and Defense are not necessarily any worse than Strength and Armor from D2 etc.
But… it could be worse. Much worse.

Im not seeing the big problem here.
D2 used armor, strength for base-defense attributes. With things like FHR, MS, Max Block, CBF, Resistances, FCR on teleport (or those meta-Enigma people that shouldn’t be playing D2 with some 1-button item).

So for this discussion to go anywhere, OP has to do research, specifically “what is Armor, what is strength, and how does 1pt of each of those affect one’s D2’ character”.

Like what does 1 armor pt in D2 actually, effectively, do to your char?
Same with 1 str, which I believe ups armor, its been a few years.

BC if D2’s armor stat ‘wasn’t good enough’, what is?
How is “defense” different than d2’s “armor”.

Itemization absolutely cannot be “Just hunting for prefix/affixes”.
They should matter, big time, but shouldn’t be all that matters.

Ie OP, do you want items to be blanks? 0-armor chest pieces with idk 6-8 prefix/affixes on them?

If they did that, they’d have to create prefix affixes that add armor or “defense” so you don’t get stabbed with 100 percent of your AI melee attacks.

Then, your pool for Cannot Be Frozen, FHR, and such gets heavily diluted, making those even harder to find on a yellow, to beat out the meta-uniques that are sure to reign atop the copy-websites and youtube videos.

You want yellows in some, or all, who knows, to be the epic gg took 2 years to find loot. W/o a base stat or w/e like Armor, the pool for those yellows gets diluted, and it would be super boring.

I’m failing to see how “armor” is different than “defense” and surely that’s due to me not googling it up for an hour. If OP is for real on his complaint, he/she should start with explaining exactly what “armor” did that was different than “defense” and why that is bad.

You know, research is critical before making a post about itemization right?
Just trying to help you OP, even if you didn’t do a throughout explanation, at all, or demonstrate you did your research prior to typing and hitting post new.