New computer cannot start Diablo 3

Hello, I hope that you can help me with this problem starting Diablo 3.
I have a new computer with Windows 11. In my Battle net app I have installed Wow, Wow classic, Diablo 3 and Diablo 4. All games function except for Diablo 3, which does not seem to be able to start.
In Battle Net “game settings”, I can see that the games all have the same path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Game"
So for Diablo 3 it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III"
When I launch the game I see the Diablo 3 logo, then there is an icon in the activity tray. If I click on the icon, the game window pops up, but it’s all white, and there is also a small error pop up: “C\Program is not available. Access denied” (But in swedish)
It is a swedish computer, so I think “Program Files” is simply called “Program” here. I don’t think that can be the problem, since the other games function.
This is what I have tried

• Going manually to the path and right click on the file “Diablo III.exe” and choose Run as administrator. In this case, the Battle net app is started where I can click Play, which gives the same problem.
  • Run Scan and repair in Battle net
  • Uninstall and reinstall in Battle net
  • Battle net Game settings: Run in 32-bit client

I would appreciate any help on what I can do next. Thanks!

Hi,

Looks like some kind of crash when the game is trying to launch…

There is some troubleshooting steps here:

You’ve already done some of those… but I would give a try to step 5 if you haven’t yet.

Diablo III is very “sensitive” to overlays and stuff running in the background. Are you using a Razer mouse and/or keyboard ? if so, see Known Technical Support Issues - [Updated June 21, 2020!] - #2 by Zuvykree

You could also contact Blizzard Support with a ticket… use this link to start the process:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/279/ticket

2 Likes

Hi Boubou, thank you so much for your input to help me. I tried to do the step that you mentioned on number 5. Unfortunately I don’t quite understand what to do. It says to go into the Task manager and choose Startup tab, and close all items.
In my Task manager, I don’t see a Startup tab. I guess it could be a language difference.
I’ll try to translate what I see from swedish.
Processes, Performance, App history, Autostart apps, Users, Information and Services. And it’s not really tabs, but it’s a menu to the left. I’m afraid to mess up something.
Do you think it means the Autostart apps? To close them?
Thanks again!

1 Like

It looks like yours is labeled Autostart apps.

This is what mine looks like. As you can see, the Startup tab is between App history and Users:

It also looks like your Information tab is labeled Details on mine.

1 Like

Thank you very much Perusoe, I did this now and restarted, but it didn’t help. I read about the possible problem with Razer mouse or keyboard, I don’t have that, mouse is Logitech and an old generic keyboard, none of them have any special function. I did the D3Prefs.txt change anyway, but that didn’t work either.
I’m kind of afraid now that my new computer is broken somehow, but hopefully not since the other games are working fine.
I will put in a ticket now, to see if Blizzard can help me. Thanks for now! Will update if I get a solution.

2 Likes

Since you said it is a newly installed computer, there is a chance you just have newer DxDiag installed.

Hmm, just checked MS site, they say there is no standalone dxdiag installer anymore.

What happens if you try to run the 64-bit version of D3?

Hi MadTom, thank you for helping me. If I understand correctly, running the 64-bit version is being done if don’t click “Launch 32-bit client” in Game Settings in the Battle net app. So then I have tried both those options. I put in a ticket earlier, so I hope for a solution there. Will update here if I hear anything. Thanks :+1: