Nerf Thread on General

It is quite fun watching the little child throw his toys out of the cot, now he’s been put in his place by a blue.

2 Likes

Yes and yes. Does that mean that I am wrong? Maybe, maybe not.

In real life, I have monthly meetings to discuss data analytics. One thing that recently occurred was someone else’s analysis of a case-control study with two subgroups of cases. Each “sample” had ~50,000 data variables per sample and >200,000 samples total. You can imagine this data requires supercomputing for analysis or filtering to make the dataset manageable.

As you can imagine, this type of data analysis requires considerable expertise and rigor to analyze correctly. The primary individual responsible for this analysis was a junior faculty member who has a PhD in statistics. He typically provides high quality analysis. Among our team, I was the only one to raise concerns about the data analytics because it did not make logical sense and failed what I would call a simple reality check.

Over the next several meetings and privately, I continued to voice my concerns to no avail. I also analyzed a subset of the data for myself. Low and behold, a sheepish e-mail was later sent out to the team that his prior reported analysis had a simple error, leading to erroneous conclusions.

The reason that I relate this story is there are time when someone says “You are wrong.” They may or may not be correct.

Blizzard’s data analysis may be completely correct. Their analytical methods and dataset that they used is proprietary. Their data in the API is not. In the case that I described above, there was enough transparency to make an independent analysis of the data.

There are very few people who post on these boards who really play around/analyze the leaderboard data. In general, the results of the analyses are reasonably similar even when using divergent methods. I am just stuck by game blog analysis that appears in opposition.

Do you know if you keep going, you’re just further proving yourself to be a troll.

1 Like

Not all heros wear capes

2 Likes

Have you noticed there are some real testy people on the Forums today, I really can’t imagine why! :expressionless:
As always, Spin To Win! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
:peace_symbol:

2 Likes

The only data point that matters now

6 Likes

It has to be mighty hard for you to analyze accurately and come to the same conclusion as Blizzard did when some of the data points or data are kept secret, as Blizzard stated. You are just wasting your time without all the numbers if you are trying to come to the same conclusion. :nerd_face:
Good luck and stay sane!
:balance_scale: :yin_yang:

3 Likes

There is some irony in the statement of a reality check being required… :rofl:

1 Like

I am trying to stay sane. I’m just perplexed. I looked at the top 200 WD clears (of the total 8,000 leaderboard era GR clears) worldwide currently that would grossly overestimate the “average” scaled player at 5K if this is true (specifically these players represent “the highest level of play” as Nev stated). I agree.

You do not need to scale the data if you have actual player data @ 5K. Even with this current leaderboard where several new records were set since early December, the actual WD average for players (n=30) between 4.5K and 5.5K paragon is GR 128.0 in era 12/non-season.

I have reread Nevalistis’s post too many times. It definitely is an issue to reproduce a method given limited details and lack of knowledge of what data points were considered.

How many people are playing Barb this season/patch vs how many are playing WD?
I’m willing to wager, that more people are playing barb, therefore you’ll have more clears on the barb leader board which pushes out the rankings, this is the range of your data set, surely you know this.
So the comparison between a rank 130 barb and rank 130 WD that you and peewee are making doesn’t stand, at least in the manner you’re both trying to present your presupposition.

Would you go to your team meetings at your workplace, and confidently present sets of analyses that don’t take into account all of the data because you do not have access to it and claim it to be accurate?

If there is a nerff, I believe this would be the best way. This would make Barb’s builds a little more balanced but would keep WW speeds as they are.

My point wasn’t to do a pairwise comparison of ranks.

I agree with class popularity being a factor that will skew the data. That is why looking at GR efficiency can be helpful.

No. I would critique data analysis that does not make sense. In my example, I was able to calculate the likelihood of the event occurring to be 1 in 10^43. The age of the universe is thought to be 14 billion years or 4x 10^17 seconds in comparison.

“I don’t have access to all the data, yet I am still trying to analyse the data, and tell the people who do have access to all the data why they are wrong and I am right!!!”

I originally thought you were trolling us.

But apparently it’s your own ego trolling your own common sense.

1 Like

I’ve pointed out how that is not the best way, because it would be a much larger nerf than 4-5 tiers. But there’s no nerf incoming, so there’s nothing really to discuss.

@ Everyone else: Please don’t engage with trolls and Fun Police. They’ve been shut down via official channels, and the more you interact, the more present they are. Ignore what they post wherever they post it, and eventually they will fade.

6 Likes

Well man, why are you beating your head against Blizzard’s wall of secrecy? You know as well as I do if they don’t give you all the numbers you will end up “blowen farts in the wind” no matter what you do.

You should use your talent to help get the 3 lower classes Buffed up. Help get the proper Buffs that they need, I am sure you could be very helpful to them with your “dog and a bone” passion, to get them in the right direction and still keep things to the balance that Blizzard is striving for. Think about it anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:
Keep on a Spinning!
:peace_symbol:

1 Like

I know that I am beating my head against a wall of secrecy but some information has been provided. If everything is self-evident, what is the fun in that?

I am trying to think about the various ways on how someone would analyze the data within the context of the information provided and how to fit the results provided.

LoL I am sure you will come up with something. :shushing_face:

I can’t find the ignore option on these new forums. Am I blind or did blizz just forget it?

It no longer exists, but by ignore I simply mean DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM, AT ALL, IN ANY FORUM, PERIOD.

Don’t give them the time of day or the attention or validation they so desperately seek.

2 Likes

If there will be no nerff, ok.
But IF there is, nerff lamentation or WW would affect not only push, but speeds (which represents the majority). That is why, if hard cast is removed, WW would be 141, but our speeds would be fine.