Nerf Thread on General

It does not matter what my particular views are on game balance as these decisions are controlled by Blizzard. I am willing to express my views as I encourage others to do the same. On this issue, my views align well with the Matthew Cederquist, the game producer.

Matthew Cederquist acknowledged that their max GR target is GR 141 for 10K paragon player and wrote:

"Hey,

I haven’t chimed in to this thread in a while but i want to make sure everyone understands.

In the blog post we’ll be presenting, it’ll go over the specifics of how we balance and hopefully answer many questions.

Some have already deduced through multiple threads and replies how we envision our balance.

• Classes that are 1-2 GRs above or below our projected max GR is good.
  • Classes that are 3-4 GRs above or below our projected max GR is the grey area where we could potentially look at it to make some adjustments. Whether that be through numbers tweaking, items, or whatever other means.
  • Classes that are 5 GRs above or below our projected max GR is not good and we would aim to balance them in the near future.

So, if you’re looking at Crusader…we can all look at them and say, “Good Day! Have your fun for now!”, but…more likely than not, they’ll come down a bit next patch."

Here is the link that shows the quote in blue.

I want to highlight the fact that he wrote: “i want to make sure everyone understands.”

He is trying to be transparent and let everyone know their thoughts on game balance. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with him. I agree with him on this issue.

I want to highlight the fact that he wrote: “Some have already deduced through multiple threads and replies how we envision our balance.”

Many of us deduced his/Blizzard’s current ideas on game balance, because he has made multiple posts in multiple threads about this topic. His posts have been abundantly clear and reiterated over and over again. A blog post is forthcoming.

Wouldn’t it be great if all classes were within 4 GRs of each other?
Is it bad if one class outperforms another by 10 GRs?

On Dec. 11, Matthew posted about the AoV set

Maybe they were auditioning for a film remake…
http://ximg.co.uk/images/2019/12/20/the_table_guy.jpg

3 Likes

To be fair I’m not suggesting that everyone should be able to run 150 in sub 10 minutes.

But when you look at the number of people that are doing 150, hell, even 140, it’s such a minor selection.

The Table guy is hanging his hat on what Matthew said about one particular person, conveniently forgetting that not everyone else is in that level.

Or even close to that level.

2 Likes

Not true. Read his post that I quoted. It is not about one player but their general strategy. To add to this I looked at players with less than 2.3K paragon. The results are the same whether you are high or lower paragon.

FACT: Blizzard nerfed thorns necromancer in patch 2.6.7
FACT: Blizzard nerfed a wizard build in patch 2.6.7
FACT: Blizzard nerfed a crusader build in patch 2.6.7a
FACT: Blizzard has posted about their general strategy on balance in multiple threads.
FACT: Blizzard has stated what GR difference around their max projected GR target of 141 is considered good, questionable, and wlll aim for a correction in the near future.

Yes. I quoted it for you and others to read. I think it is abundantly clear their thought process. You can accept it or not. You can advocate to change Blizzard’s stance or not. You can not change the fact that Matthew gave you insight into their balance idea.

Way to completely miss the point, but anyway, he said in what you quoted that they already have a strategy.

Oh wait, we’re back to changing posts after they’ve been replied to again

Either let it go, or go and get a job there.

2 Likes

FYI

Nevalistis responded to me about the ETA for the game balance blog post.

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

These balance posts lately are getting out of hand, they have been talking about balancing the game since the year the game was released, remind me, how many years ago was that? It hasn’t worked out all that well has it?
Dose anyone left that is still playing the game really think they are going to totally balance Diablo III before Diablo IV is released? Not to likely. Does anybody even care, except for the unbalanced “Balancers” what class is the flavor of the month for Seasons as long as all classes get a fair shot at it for the short time that D3 has left?
If anybody thinks that there is a way to balance D3 my thoughts would be you would first have to Remove Paragon points or set a cap on everyone at the same level especially in Non Seasons Just for starters (not going to happen) and the rampant cheating that is going on and has gone on in both Seasons and Non Seasons would have to be eradicated and all cheaters would have to be banned (never going to happen).
Anyway I hope that everyone gets a chance to have their favorite build or class balanced (BuffeD) up to be top dog at least once before we move on to D4 and have to start “balancing” that game too.
For me it is still “Spin To Win” and don’t you forget it! :yum: :yum:

2 Likes

Actually at different points in time the game has been relatively well balanced. See Prokahn’s threads on GR efficiency. Even in patch 2.6.6, the game was reasonably balanced with the major exception of wizards in terms of GR efficiency. Several era 11 classes would benefit from an increase in power (e.g. non-thorns necromancers). This is the metric that has most relevance to a wde-range of players rather than the tippy-top of 8K+ players that account for 96 of the top 7000 solo leaderboard entriies (1000 per class times 7 classes). Unfortunately, Patch 2.6.7 was a mixed bag in terms of balance.

Even with all that Gobbledygook you didn’t answer my question.

4 Likes

Which question? I think that some of your questions were rhetorical. If the question is do I think that they can totally balance the game before DIV is released, the answer is no. If the queston is to whether they can balance the top clears of non-seasonal GR clears on a per class basis to 5 GRs from worse to best, my answer is yes.

Look at the data for yourself:

They could even get their next patch. You bring down crusaders and raise DH & necromancers so that the median of the top 10 GR clears are 143-139.

1 Like

He does that a lot. He doesn’t have an answer so replies with masses of data.

Wait until he hits you with tables.

Maybe he should run for a political office.

Politician - one who has mastered the art of never stopping talking, without actually managing to say anything.

Pretty much a perfect fit.

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: To late, you did have to mention that! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, that’s his other new habit, changing his posts after people have replied.

1 Like

It is not a new habit. You will see that almost all my posts have edits.

Please give me a few minutes before replying. Often, I see that when I start to compose a message or hit post, you will already be or almost immediately begin typing a response.

Of course, I edit my posts. There tends to be typos/grammatical errors/poorly conveyed concepts. Often, I need to switch from one thread to another to cross-reference numbers. My initial post is often partial as I copy/paste things from multiple places and do not want to lose my work. After posting, I re-read and edit my post for clarity.

If I’m typing on my phone, there tends to be even more typos and often I will edit my post a handful of times to catch spelling errors that sinisterly slip through my small screen.

Can you please point me to where he says 141 for 10k paragon player? The quote you posted and the thread you linked never mentions gr level anywhere from a Blizzard source that I saw. I’ve been seeing people claiming he said that, but yet to see the post where he did, and I’ve searched the blizz post tracker back a month.

1 Like

The 141comes from multiple posts.

Here is his comment in relation to a GR 142 non-season clear for a barb @10,288 paragon

Here is his comment about a crusader that cleared GR 146 in non-season

I think there are more.

1 Like

Thanks, I had missed those

The non-season GR146 clear for barbs was @ 9477 paragon and crusader have 5 GR 150 clears already in this era/non-season.

I see the Trolls are relentless lol.

In the meantime, I crafted my own Railjack and waging space battles with my crew and crafting new frames. Just came up with a Captain America Atlas Prime with sword and board build. So much fun.

While Diablo is dying.

I am uninstalling this miserable piece of a game…

Good luck you all with these trolls without any real perspectives. And I am definitely not buying D4.

F.

4 Likes