Need help with getting a new computer

I have tried finding other sites that could answer my questions when it concerns getting a new computer. Since I couldn’t find anyone that could help I decided to come here for help. I will be a bit long winded, but I feel I need to be in order to give those replying the most information needed to assist me in getting a new computer.

My current computer is an ASUS Essentio CM1730. It is a duo core Athlon computer that I bought around March or April of 2012 to play D3 and The Secret World that was release a few months after D3. I turned it into a gaming PC by buying a Video Card and a case fan due to being concerned about more heat and the need for better airflow. The worker was real helpful in choosing the right video card and case fan that got the job done. I installed the case fan and video card myself.

Before that I have installed just about everything on a computer except for installing the CPU, Cooler, and putting the mother board in the case. This was during the IDE days, yes pre SATA.

I have watched videos on how to build a PC and feel confident that I can go that route if needed. Although I would prefer to buy a computer already assembled. I could also go the route of upgrading a non gaming desktop to a gaming rig if needed.

I know that I don’t want to spend more than $700-$800. I know that I will probably be needing a new monitor keyboard and speakers at least.

Also I have learned that refurbished computers are not a bad option either. Here are the list of games that I would love to be able to play on the new computer. If needed I could drop PoE and get a different game like maybe Grim Dawn.

The games that I like player are as follows

PoE
Diablo 3
Secret World Legends
Star Trek Online
Champions Online
Diablo 2 with Median XL Sigma

Below are the questions

1. Should I buy new or refurbished?
  2. If refurbished how can I tell who done the refurbishing so I can make sure that it is a good buy?
  3. Do I buy a gaming PC so I don’t have to do anything to it?
  4. Do I need to by a non gaming PC and turn it into one?
  5. If I do buy a non gaming PC will I actually cause Windows 10 to deactivate when I upgrade it to gaming?

Years ago I never had that issue with other computers. But since Windows has advanced to where it is today I am concerned about such things.

1. Or do I just build it myself?

Even though I would like to avoid this because I haven’t been able to put together a build that will do what I need for the price that I have earlier mentioned.

First off, this will be an incomplete reply due to the fact that there are others who would be more qualified to answer you. However, I believe you could get some of the answers you’re looking for by checking the sites for the games you play (want to play) as they will list minimum requirements which will give you a baseline of what you need. Once you know what you ‘need’, then you can search computer sales online to find compatible computers, which will give you a priceline idea and the information you need to know if you can afford to upgrade components. If you go looking for what is listed as a ‘gaming computer’, the prices will be higher, so search for just desktop (or laptop if you prefer) and the baseline needs you have. If you take the time to look, you can find a good computer for a good price as a rule. Unfortunately, I haven’t looked lately so I am unaware how COVID19 has affected the prices. I bought a good computer in 12/18 for around $600, that has no issues with streaming or gaming (is it high-end or esports capable, no). There are sites that you can ‘build’ your own off a baseline they post, choosing each component from a list they give you, so you might try that when you get the minimums you need, and you can check how each item changes the price and choose that way. CyberPower is one, Magic Micro I think, is another. Hope this helps. Good luck!

If your current comp is 8 years old, to me that screams ‘buy a new one’.

I’d imagine a gaming comp would be more flexible and has less hoop jumping in the event you want to upgrade or make changes.

That would depend on the type of license you have.

Are you looking to transfer Windows 10 from the old comp to the new?

That depends on how confident or skilled you are in doing this.

You will get sticker shock when you see the prices of computer components.
There’s a worldwide shortage of chips, to the point where GM and FORD have to build vehicles with missing modules.
The price of new graphics cards, if you can actually find one, has skyrocketed due to the demands from cryptocurrency mining.

My best suggestion is to cobble something together from used PCs. You might find something workable being sold locally on Kijiji or similar platform. Maybe you can scalp one off someone unaware of the shortages.

Just as an example; $3000 for a new NVidia 3090GTX graphics card here in Canada 2 months ago. Just the card! Its original M.S.R.P. was $1499. And today I saw an add for one at $3240 CDN.

So be prepared to see very high prices.

Good luck on your build.

I already bought and put together a computer around September of last year. Below is the part’s list minus the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

CPU: Intel core I3 9100F 3.6 ghz quad core
Motherboard: MSI B365 PRO-VDH Micro ATX
Memory: GSkill 8g DDR4 2400
Storage: Western Digital 1TB hard drive
Video Card: Asus Geforce GTX 1650 4GB memory
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Q300L Micro ATX
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified

And it has been working fine ever since then. The scariest parts of putting it together wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

When I put it together in a test bench first and fired it up I got it working just fine. Then when I put it all in the case I tested it one more time before finishing any cable management that I learned by watching videos on building computers. Then when it worked just fine I went on to use it as I have been doing so since then.

One more thing the parts that I got only costed around 800 dollars after tax. All of the parts are brand new as well. That 800 dollars also includes windows 10 OS.