Need advice starting necro

Going in this weekend with a new necro this season and i’m interested in the new LoD builds particularly the thorns one - what i’m not understanding about the gameplay is how you apply the thorns dmg. I played a lot of the crusader thorn builds and i understand that relying on the monsters to kill themselves on you does not work and you need some kind of active skills that build off your thorns. By reading guides and such i see that you spam them with multiple curses and rely on your skellies to kill them while you walk around doing nothing. I do not understand how the build functions.

You don’t apply thorns with skills, the monsters kill themselves hitting your minions. The only “trick” is using a special philactery which builds up skelli damage over time.
In every rift level you order your skellies ONLY ONCE to attack a big health minion (aka Juggernaut if possible) and making sure, you NEVER kill that minion .
Consequence is, that your skelli damage ramps up and up & up.
Rince & Repeat this on every floor level.

Still weird. Monsters killing themselves on your minions depends on their attack speed and animations. Also how do you make sure you don’t kill a minion your skellies are attacking? And what’s the point if you build up their damage you can’t transfer to whatever you want to kill?

Thats why i said, you should tag a Juggernaut, if possible.
If a Monster is tagged doesn’t mean, your skellies won’t attack anything else.
Make sure by moving, that your skellies attack all monsters, except the tagged one, if manageable.
Make also sure, you don’t loose contact to the tagged monster (the skelli Icon in the bar MUST stay highlighted.) In such a way the skelli damage will grow & grow.

From “the master” himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0lhggOhY4

Ewk, that sounds so complicated. Isn’t there a newbish version strategy video for this build? I just want to do the season journey, i’m not interested in hitting the highest GR possible.

@darkspell
Well, Thorns necro is not a beginner build: Maybe you wanna watch this Rhykker vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GaPoKLl1E