Necromancer Set Balance

This is just my thoughts on the general set balance of the Necromancer, and I’m not a top pusher or anything so my opinions may not be valid at the top level of play. To echo what others have said as well, I think masquerade set should include bone spirit, or death nova, or anything in addition to bone spear.

My absolute wish for the Necro is for the new masquerade set to have a belt, ring, or bracer. It has such a cool 2 set effect that if nothing else, it might make running the other sets (tragouls, Rathma, Pestilence) worth it. It’s the only class that doesn’t have the ability to run 6 set and 2 set. Another option would be adding set items to the aforementioned 3 sets to get their respective 2 sets. I feel that this might add some reason to run any combination of these sets rather than just LoD.

My problem with the necromancer class is that save the new bone-spear and maybe inarius, there’s no reason to use any of the other sets past the early game. Legacy of Dreams builds outperform every single other set. For instance, LoD mages are just objectively better in every way to Rathmas, similarly blood skill buff damage from Tragoul’s is less than even a Mid level LoD build. I also feel that the secondary effects on these sets don’t justify the use of them over LoD.

Basically, I just want more reason to use any of the necro sets rather than LoD.

I’ve seen this idea floating around and my problem with that is you’d basically be admitting bone spear sucks so let’s put other better skills in there so that the set doesn’t suck.

Bone Spirit with one item can multiply it’s damage by 50-100x (Defiler Curiass 500% x10 - 20 seconds). Situational? You betcha but it’s opportunity cost, it’s the fact that It can do that not that it always does that.

Blood Nova with one item can multiply it’s damage by 80-120x (BloodTide Blade). Against situational? Yep, but it can happen (400% x 20-30 mobs).

Bone Spear can only ever multiply it’s damage by 8x (Maltorious Spike). No situation in which it can multiply further from it’s single item mod.

Hell even a primary skill like Scythe that cost no essence has it’s 20-30x item mod in Legers Disdain! Hardly a condition for that, just scythe 20-30 mobs

It’s got an enormously disproportionate disadvantage over other skills.

1 Like

If Blizz were going to go this route, they would have done so already.

They are not in the business of using ideas pulled directly from the Forum, as has been evident from years of small addtions/changes with every ‘new’ item or tweaked skill being something different , and usually worse, than the many ideas on the forums. its as if they have an internal rule that if its something specifically suggested already on the forums, dont do it and think of something else.

Necro most certainly needs more usefull items, or the ability to better use the non class specific legendaries.
Necro can make good use of cold damage for example, but we dont use FrostBurn or Rimeheart.
Why ? … because proc coefficients on Necro skills and effects are terrible so neither items legendary affect can be proced at any reasonable rate to be useful.

Ill also point out that whilst Inarius has had a small buff in toughness, its stil ridiculously squishy for its seemingly intended purpose of being a melee range set. You have to make massive sacrifices to get enough toughness to even be remotely capable of handling close quarters combat in even sub lvl 100 solo GR’s.

Aquila’s Chest
or
Razeths shoulders (cant have both working at the same time)
along with either
Cpt Crimsons with high RCR
or
Dayntee’s,
and ofc the Kalan amulet to buff Inarius Bone Armor.

Do that however and u loose some damage, and even then your not THAT tough.
You can also forget trying to include any dmg reduction from rings as that would require a massive loss in damage.

And if u even dare think about adding in some speed from Stuarts Greaves, say goodby to at least 50% dmg reduction. making u so squishy u cant even easily farm T16 level GR’s

Necro’s itemization is all over the place, its no wonder they have been hamstrung into the same couple builds revolving around LOTD and/or Mages for so long.

If they are going to add a skill to the damage multiplier it should be the primary scythe attack.

The set is tanky enough for close combat. They made the change to HV to let the sims cast it, and there are enough support items to make it scale damage.

The set could give the LoD scythe build a run for its money.

Boring… yes, but at least you would be able to push past GR 120 with it.

There are definite issues and I’m getting nervous since we are running low on time for the PTR

*Additional skills should definitely be added to the set. Death Nova, Bone spirit, possibly even Grim Scythe

*Necro needs support items like bracers, belts, etc. That will also help smooth things out

*If the devs are only wanting bone spear. Then make it interesting. Bone spear is horrible in general. But its really bad at dealing AOE damage as well. Add something like “bone spear gains the teeth rune. Additionally, the first time teeth deals damage per cast, it will cast itself again at the impact point”

That would help with single target damage and damage overall

Just some ideas. A lot could be done with the set to make it better with little effort. I just really hope something gets done. Cause right now this set isnt very interesting and doesnt provide a smooth, streamlined play experience