My wizard keeps dying with a single hit in spite of energy armor with the force armor rune

My wizard keeps dying with a single hit. The energy armor with the force armor rune is supposed to limit all incoming damage to a percentage of my maximum life. With the shields I have active therefore (which exceeds my total life), it should be impossible for me to die on a single attack. It should take more than 2 hits to kill me and yet i repeatedly die on single events like a grotesque exploding on death. This is getting frustrating.

Just curious, what if removing Squirt from your cube?

1 Like

Force Armor only absorbs up to 100% of your maximum life.

If you get hit for 0-35% of your maximum HP in damage, you take that amount of damage. Force Armor doesn’t kick in.
If you get hit for 36-135% of your maximum HP in damage, you take 35% of your maximum HP in damage (to either your shields or HP).

If you get hit for more than 135% of your maximum HP in damage, the damage you take starts increasing above 35% again. E.g. if you take 200% of your maximum HP in damage, Force Armor reduces it by it’s maximum cap of 100%, so you still take the remaining 100% of your HP in damage. If you take 400% of your maximum HP in damage, you take 400-100=300% of your maximum HP in damage to your shields/HP, not 35%. Since you’ve exceeded the Force Armor cap. You can see how, if you take a large enough amount of damage (like eating a molten explosion or a grotesque explosion on higher difficulties), you can end up overwhelming the Force Armor cap along with all of your shields and then all of your HP.

If you’re in way over your head, Force Armor alone isn’t enough. You need sufficient DR to keep attacks in the 35-135% of your maximum HP range in order for Force Armor to be really effective. If you have no damage reduction, Force Armor quickly gets overwhelmed at higher levels.

1 Like