My New PC Grants +5 GRs

Wishful thinking. But I did just finish ordering all the parts for my new computer (old one’s GPU died and the SSD+HD are failing). If anyone is interested, here are the specs:

• Core i7-9700k + closed loop liquid cool
  • 16 GB DDR4 3200
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • 500 GB PCINVME + 3 TB HDD
  • 800 watt PS

No lights, no flashy RGB nonsense. Just a plain ol’ sleeper that will last 5-7 years without upgrades–just in time for Barbs to get a buff! I think I got it all for a steal, too. Just waiting on the last few parts to arrive before assembly. I’ll be able to play D3 again, and some Doom Eternal when it drops, and the strategy games I enjoy in my downtime (what little I have).

Computers are one of the only luxury items I permit myself.

Anyone else re-building or considering?

9 Likes

What were your costs? I am leaning to getting a new PC probably next year and for some reason I am leaning towards getting an AMD processor.

All parts, including lots of miscellany not listed in the OP + a new case, shipping, etc. was $1300.

You can build a great system via AMD, but I’ve read a few things here and there about some problems with certain motherboards and Ryzen processors; should be water under the bridge next year. I’ve never had issues with Intel and my last PC was a real workhorse.

I can’t wait to cover myself in thermal paste and hose off with coolant.

3 Likes

2018 was a pretty bad year for building a PC, but today’s prices are looking pretty good. Good luck with the build. :slight_smile:

Absolutely!

As Intel pushes the X9 series, their 9th gen i7s and i9s are dropping in price. Most folk don’t really need much more than an i5 or i7, and many boutique integrators are starting to do auto upgrades to i9 at no additional charge.

SSD prices are finally plunging, too. Late summer has, so far, been very good for building a new system.

1 Like

I just got a modest gaming laptop. The old one was ftom 2010 and PoE was lagging in density. Looking forward to setting up the games.

Asus ROG FX504GD-58250 Intel Core i5 8300H 8GB 1TB + 256GB SSD GTX1050

Nice! I bought an Acer Predator Helios 300 in January so I could play D3 again. Looking to build an actual computer next year. Prices are just getting better and better.

Nice! The only PC related part that ever gave me +X GR was my new router that stabilized my connection a couple of years ago. Hope that the new gear can do all you are looking for, and more.

My wife actually surprised me with an out of the box Alienware last Christmas after my old computer died as I had told her almost 20 years ago that I had always wanted one (and subsequently never got one). They aren’t what they were back then, but it was such a sweet gesture.

Have had the 1080ti since release but recently went to a 8700k cpu, im not too sure on jumping the gun on a new graphics card until something has a better % increase in performance to price ratio.

Doom Eternal will be a day one purchase for me.

Why are computers one of the only luxury items you permit yourself? I’m asking this as a pseudo-rational hedonist.

I agree with the ‘no lights, no flashy RGB nonsense’ but I bought a fan controller and 3 x 480mm radiators for a new watercooled beast that I can’t bring myself to build until true 4:4:4 144Hz 4k 27" HDR monitors come out, which I suppose will be very late 2019 or perhaps mid next year.

Mine is about 5 or 6 years old now days. But I just don’t play games that push it too much. Might be good for a while still. I’ll see what the Next Diablo product requires for a graphics card maybe that would be a good mid-life upgrade.

Wow! You’re right, that’s incredibly sweet. Sounds like you married an awesome, thoughtful woman!

Alieware has had a lot of weird ups and downs. Back in the early 2000s, they were the king of boutique PCs, but then their build quality started to drop. Lately, though, their builds are back in the mix for top-notch pre-built systems. Very cool, mah dude!

Same. And I never do that with games. But Doom 2016 was so, so, so dang good, it still blows me away. Can’t believe a game that good even got made in the first place.

Good question! A couple of reasons. I’m back in grad school, so I’m extra broke. That’s probably the most pertinent reason. Beyond that, I’m not a materialistic person. I don’t have a TV or fancy furniture or even a car! Part of it is that I come from a blue-collar background, and any time I’m about to spend money, a little voice starts growling in my head: “Do you really need that?”

I had to force myself to buy these computer parts, fighting the voice the entire time :joy:

Check out the RTX 2060 Super. It’s as good as the 2070 and about $100 cheaper with less power draw (still 8 GB). I don’t think 2080s will be worth the money for another year or two.

Anyone else gonna go for a new build soon?

Congrats on the new compy!

One thing I would suggest to people is to spend good money on a really good monitor. I used to upgrade my PC every 2 years, but since I had kids it is less than that. Back when I was single, one year it dawned on me. I was using the same 17CRT monitor for more than a decade and I never liked it. If you keep a monitor around that long you might as well spend good money on a monitor because you don’t really need to upgrade very often and it makes gaming more enjoyable, at least it does for me. I went big when I had this epiphany, and spent 2.5k on the best 30 inch monitor I could find at the time. That was 15 years ago and I still use it, but its on it’s last legs. Still money well spent in my opinion for as many years as I have used it. The monitor has lasted me probably 5 PC all of which cost around 1k to put together.

You are correct, I have replaced the monitor to a 27 inch a year ago. The really big one are cool but I’d have to upgrade some other stuff too to use the high end graphics features.

Yeah I was able to get my hands on some pc parts that somehow “fell off a truck”. Went from my 7700k 1080ti to 9900k 2080ti for fixing a laptop for someone and some cash.

But it’s a nice change. Since I play all my games in 1440p can finally keep over 144 FPS for my monitor.

But anyone updating their pc do some research. Because amd cpu are a steal to be honest. The gap has been close between Intel and amd.

And I highly recommend at least getting a 6core/12 thread cpu. Since it’s what the stnandard has become as the 4/8 threads are going out the door.

I bought new hardwares for my pcs last week, and the last part, the vga cards come to my hands tomorrow:)
Cpu: ryzen 3700x
Cpu cooler: be quiet dark rock 4
Mobo: msi x570 gaming plus
Ram: 2*16gb 3200hz cl16 ripjaw v
Ps 750w seasonic gold plus
Storage 1tb samsung 860 evo + 4tb wd red
Vga msi 2070 super gaming x trio

Gz for your new pc Free:)

Br Adam

1 Like

The performance gap isn’t as close as most claim. The i9-9900 is outperforming Ryzen’s latest in almost every way, and the same can be said for Nvidia’s cards over AMD (though the gap there is, admittedly, much closer). Then again, most folks aren’t even going to use what the newest Intel or Ryzen offer in terms of power and performance, and I sure didn’t want to deal with the i9’s temperature issues.

Daaaaang, grats, mah dude! That’s a beast machine you got there!
+10 GRs for sure!

In gaming, Intel 9th Gen is generally still king though not by much. In productivity, Ryzen 3000 series dances all over Intel 9th Gen in almost every way.

5700 and 5700 XT compete pretty well against the 2060 Super and 2070 Super respectively. AMD have nothing yet to compete against the 2080 Super and 2080 Ti.

1 Like

I’ve been tempted to upgrade but am waiting for games like the new Elder Scrolls (maybe 2020 but most likely a couple of years past that) to come out before I do so. There are a couple of games some friends have tried to get me to play with them that would require me getting a new graphics card but unfortunately I don’t have the time to play like I used to to justify the expense. Unless my machine catastrophically fails or some incredible game comes out I don’t see upgrading anytime soon.