My account was created without photo ID

My account was created without photo ID
You were happy to take money from me without photo ID
So why do I need photo ID to close it?

I will not give my photo ID to a company that supports a communist dictatorship.
I am a member of the EU by not allowing me to delete my personal data you are infringing on my rights protected by the GDPR.

Allow me to delete all data associated with this account without need of photo ID immediately upon my request via your company’s web client or face civil action in a court of European law.

12 Likes

I’m running into the same problem, but I’m in the USA.

2 Likes

If you don’t trust them to keep your data safe what makes you think they’ll actually delete it?

2 Likes

There have been too many cases of slightest significant others, parents, former friends, etc being able to delete accounts(which also deletes ALL game keys), and people complaining that they didn’t do, that Blizzard asks for proof that you are the account holder requesting, and not a malicious party.

4 Likes

Deleting your account does nothing that will affect blizzard in any way. They have your money.
And the only thing you clamoring to delete your account proves is that you do not have the willpower to not play the game.
Uninstall and move on. If you can.

6 Likes

I have no willpower? Dont project your own flaws onto me please.

I have not played any blizz games for over a year.
I’m to busy with POE to play this kids game kid.

2 Likes

If those said significant others have email, authenticator and phone access to your account; what makes you think it’s hard to achieve a photo of government given identity? All other paths to acknowledge the player is blocked and forcing them to give identity photo. Why do you think it’s exactly hard to achieve?

4 Likes

You know that GGG who makes POE was 100% bought out by the huge Chinese gaming company Tencent right? They are 100% Chinese controlled.

Tencent has bought 5% of Blizzard stock, but that gives them zero control over the company.

Yes, nearly every company in the world wants access to the Chinese market to sell things, but you seem to support one actually owned by the Chinese.

That is not related to the topic of the thread of course.

If you wish to have your account perma delete you will need to provide the requested documentation. If you email privacy@blizzard.com they may allow you a different method. They used to accept a Notarized copy of your ID on paper sent via snail mail before they allowed digital submission.

4 Likes

I’m guessing because there is more potential lost of closing an account than creating one. Someone trying to troll wouldn’t spend their own money to purchase a product but a troll might try to have Blizzard close someone else’s account and so Blizzard would like to make sure they have a more detail record of people closing accounts.

I wouldn’t want a troll closing my account and I for one, am glad Blizzard has safeguards to prevent this. Imagine coming back to find a troll had Blizzard closed my account without a way of recovering it. I’m sure Blizzard would face more backlash from that.

3 Likes

It is not usually trolls, sadly. It is room mates, ex significant others, current significant others, siblings, and even hackers who get enough account info to target someone. Imagine being decent at some sort of competition and have your account closed by hackers.

Blizz has to take reasonable means to ensure the actual account holder wants all the keys and other digital goods (with monetary value) removed. If they don’t they could be sued for not only the cost of the lost digital keys, but damages as well.

2 Likes

So, if you choose to never play them again, how is that not functionally identical to having deleted your account to prevent you from ever playing them again?

1 Like

So OP, guess you had better get rid of your computer, monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Those are probably all from China too.

1 Like

It is none of my business or anyone else’s for that matter why you do not play any, but because this is a public forum and you are posting regarding a platform company that you no longer bother with, anyone naturally will ask: WHY BOTHER???

I must have a bad side, because that made me want to laugh at the irony in that and I do not believe laughing at anyone is a good thing.

1 Like

This is correct (sort of anyway, you’re not personally a member of the EU, and they’re not literally infringing on your rights). Under article 17 of the GDPR you can request “erasure” of your personal data. However I don’t believe they are prohibited from asking you to prove it’s actually you asking. In GDPR terms: they need to be sure you are the “data subject”.

If you provide a photo ID as proof then that too becomes part of the data to be erased.

Posting this on the forum rather than in a reply to their customer support takes away much of the credence to your claim.

2 Likes

Just a thought…

Has anyone that truly is so adamant in deleting their account, actually written to support and asked if there is another way to validate you are who you say you are?

I have not to this day encountered any corporation or government department that does not give alternatives for secure transmission of confidential data, and alternatives in the ‘type’ of identification.

Contact support and ASK THEM. It is no different to getting a license, a birth certificate, a passport or any form of confidential personal data.
Nobody is infringing on anyone. They are actually trying to ensure you are protected and it is not a hoax with someone else trying to sabotage you FFS.

EDIT:

They may be able to give you a verification SSL with a VPN where you can provide a scanned alternative proof of ID. As an example - A utilities bill with your address matching the one on file, so on and so forth…

Yes, I have. There is absolutely no way other than first providing your real name (which also requires a scanned ID!) and then opening a new account deletion request. This is, to put it mildly, a load of bull$hit (also apparently you can’t say sh!t on this forum, that’s nice). I never paid for any games using this account (I think I created it, played Hearthstone for <2h total, and forgot about it until the recent tournament fiasco).

May I make a suggestion?

The fastest path to your satisfaction that is. Do you have a separate uninstaller? That is, one that removes all traces of the installation rather than a default Windows or MAC uninstall?

Uninstall all your games, then last, uninstall the Battlenet application and reboot.
It will do what you wish if so and remove all traces from your computer.

It will be the fastest way to get what you seek. Last, use a registry cleaner to get rid of stragglers if you have one, i.e. if MS Windows.

EDIT: There are many free registry cleaners out there. The ‘Auslogics’ free registry cleaner is good as an example.

The other option is to post your account details and password online somewhere so someone can steal your account. Easy peasy. No more account and no photo ID required. I mean, unless you want to post that too and let a bunch of people steal your identity?

Disclaimer: Do not do this.

1 Like

That is hilarious :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: