More lag on D3-US than D3-EU from US East coast?!

Just in from Technical Support…

(17 days after they last updated the thread)

1 Like

Good update, finally. The staff was off for most of the past two weeks.

Looks like Singapore was IT/ISP related and resolved by the ISP. Group play was game related.

Hopefully it is better from here on out.

Could be routing around the midwest tornado zones on congested lines? I had a HORRIBLE time with anything the first few days after. Blizz has data centers in Chicago and LA and I don’t know which hosts D3.

1 Like

I live a bit NE of you, and it’s always been that way for me. EU, I get 90-100 ms, Americas has always been 140+, excluding super early in the day when almost everyone is asleep.

Having followed the threads complaining of this on the US servers, the lagginess seemed to mostly be confined to public groups, at T16 only, i.e. if players joined T15 no lag happened. Also, if they created a private T16 group, and then opened it for people to join, those games were also fine. That doesn’t sound like a routing issue getting to the servers, but more like one (or more) blade in the farm that hosts T16 public games to have been wonky.

1 Like

There were 3 diff things from what I can see.

• Group lag related to new seasons/specs?
  • Singapore/SEA ISP/IT issues
  • The OP who has noticed general increased lag in public and non public games from a few weeks ago.

I often do challenge rifts and a week or so ago did the CR on NA and had ungodly amount of lags compared to what I’m used to (from EU). Talking 1200 ms, absolutely unplayable.

Ended up just making a new game (didn’t change a single setting), lag went down to maybe 100ms max. So definitely something to do with servers, be it one of the servers being RIP or the routing being RIP. I didn’t check for server IP tho unfortunately.

I hear this all the time from people in public games. The only problem I’m having is in public t16 bounties. Plus the problem is I’ll try to get into t16 game and it will just sit there. Sign out from windows and log back in. Restart the game and 99% I’ll get in to a bounty game with no lag.

When it comes lag I really never get it. I’m on the east coast in Pa. I can play both of my accounts at the same time on the same internet connection with no lag. Plus how many people play on a Laptop vs a Computer. How many people use wireless vs hard wire connection. You have to put all those factors into place too.

But the first thing people do is go after the server. From me to the server I have on avg 18 hops. Plus it can get up to 35 at times too. So you are really at the mercy of the internet not the server. Yes the server does have their problems at times. But it is more the internet connection I feel is the problem.

1 Like

It is lagging in non-season as well. In the past we did not see this kind of build combinations in the groups.

Right now I am getting lag spikes from green to red and back. Everything else works just fine except D3. Southeast US.

Codes 3006 and 1016 constantly.

2 Likes

Exactly. I am also getting 3006 and 1016 regularly only on NA server. Even if i get through after tens of tries, there’s a ton of lag even in private game. Nothing has changed even after the fix Technical team is claiming to have resolved the issue.

Asia server works flawlessly. So, looks like issue exists for NA server. I have played all seasons of D3 on NA server without any issues. I am from Bangalore, India.

Thank you guys for all of your replies. Nothing is fixed. Here is a link to my post in the main lag tread in the Tech support forum ==>

In a prior post in the Tech support forum thread I identified a series of nodes connected to Level 3 (big tele comm company). Level 3 has been a problem since back in days of vanilla WoW release (not the WoW classic reboot). I’ve contacted Level 3’s tech support within the past 7 years and the tech acknowledged there were issues on certain lines. However, because I’m not the owner or lessee of those lines and lack the accounting information and authority, I can not demand changes to those lines.

Blizzard is not a lowly consumer. They can effectively lobby their ISP to get other ISPs to fix the problems on their end (the other ISPs) or lobby to get data rerouted around Level 3. Blizzard will not do this because the lobbying effort most likely would require their lawyers to get involved. I’m pretty sure that Blizzard could make that case that the lag cause by data flow through Level 3 was hurting Blizzard’s business and that they were losing customers ($$$). I’m sure that someone in this forum is going to say that Blizzard can’t do that. Let Blizzard lose 35% to 45% of their WoW US subscriptions in a 30 day period due to lag that could be traced to flow through Level 3 and Blizzard’s lawyers might sprout wings.

Before anyone says the lag is partly caused by the pandemic and people working from home. Let me say that there is NOT enough people working from home, that are online from 12:30am to 5:15am EST, to clog up the internet, to cause the lag we experience in D3. If it were the case then every online game would be experiencing the same levels of lag. Typically, between 12am and 5:30am EST, latency drops and through put increases because people log off and go to sleep. Simple speed tests will show this.

Lastly, Level 3 is not the only problem. Meteor might be on to something that is internal to Blizzard.

Good joke…

8 characters required

But the problem is I have played t16 public bounties, rifts, & GR’s with no lag. Again I’m on the east coast USA about 3k from the server. Plus I play off & on between 8am to 10pm.

If this is so true about the US servers. I should be getting lag just like everybody else, but I’m not.

But they are. A larger one perhaps, but a consumer nonetheless.

It depends on if you are routed through Level 3 Communications or not. Depending on your ISP, you will use different backbone lines to cross the country.

The big backbone companies have been an issue forever. They don’t listen to “nobodies” like me, or you. We don’t have a business relationship with them. They don’t listen to anyone except the people who put money in their pocket - other big ISPs using those backbone lines.

IF that is what is going on, it can be a major pain to wait for them to fix it.

I’m coming up to what 10 yrs playing this game. In the 10 yrs I have not really have had the problems most of these people have. Yes every body does get lag here & there, but for me it isn’t a problem.

The only problem I have had this season is the t16 bounties. I’ll try to get into game and some times I’ll sit there waiting at the 5 diamonds. Log out of windows and back in. Restart the game and 99% of the time I can get in with no problems.

Plus you can’t blame everything on the internet or the server. You know that 1/2 of it really has to do what you are running the game on too.

I have a friend that played the game on fix up old Dell computer. He was always complaining about lag and disconnects. He just got a better computer and all his problems went away.

As @MissCheetah says it really depends on where you are and if your traffic is flowing through Level 3. As for what I’m running the game on I have a Ryzen 7 1700x with 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 7 3700x with 32GB RAM. The 1700x has a GTX 1060 6GB and the 3700x has a RTX 2060 Super. I use a wired gigabit ethernet connection only for gaming. I have 300/30 down/up high speed internet.

Run and post your WinMTR results. Here is how to do WinMTR:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/27780

This might explain generic bad performance when connecting but it absolutely fails to address the issue reported whereby public T16 games are laggy. Specifically T16, and publics. If you join T15 or lower, the lag’s not there. If you create a private T16 game, and then open it up to become public, the lag’s not there. There’s something wrong with one (or more) of the blades in the farm used to host the T16 public games. There’s no way this is intermediary ISP network hops, this is internal to the hosting farm, not the route taken to get there.

This ^^ is why I said that you were probably on to something in a prior post. However, when running WinMTR there are lag spots along the way. The results in the WinMTR runs could be skewed if the ISP’s are pushing ICMP traffic to a lower priority. Alternative tools other than WinMTR would be needed to determine this. The general high latency in solo games is yet another issue.

Minor correction from my prior post… I have 300/30 down/up internet, but the results tend to show 330/35 when running speedtest.

Yesterday there were two of us in a private game no lag. Then a friend join the game making 3 people. That person was having lag problems. He even tried to restart the game still lag. A 4th person join the game and he had lag.

So those 2 people had lag and the 2 of us didn’t. I ask the Sadie the person I was playing with before the others join. Do you ever get lag and she said very little. Those two people left the game after awhile because of lag. Sadie & I kept playing with no lag.

I’m in Pennsylvania, Sadie is in Minnesota, One guy is Florida, and I don’t know where the other guy is at. But we all over the country. The thing is 2 of us no lag and the other 2 with really bad lag.

Plus Sadie & I really never get lag. Why we must be very lucky or have good connection to the server. Sadie doesn’t play in to many public games. I do t16 bounties, rifts & GR’s with no lag.