More Akara resets, but at a cost

I suggest that after you get your free den of evil respec, you can keep doing it but at a gold cost. I’m thinking character level x 1000 should be the cost. (A level 34 character would cost 34000 gold to respec)

The biggest problem I had when I started playing d2 was I never knew what skills were good and what were bad. Since d2r is coming to consoles where a lot of people have never played diablo, I think it’s a good change for those that are new and could benefit experienced players who want to switch up their build without needing a token. (I also suggested in a different post about making the essences for a token drop in normal and nightmare but at a lowered rate)

I recently played d2 coop with a friend who had never played it before and he was complaining about his damage, so I asked what build he was doing and I told him it was a pretty bad setup. I’m going to play d2r with him when it comes out and something like this would be a benefit to inexperienced players like him and I don’t see any harm in adding it to the game as it would remove the frustration of bad builds and let people experiment with different setups easier.

I’d like to hear what d2 vets think about this, and maybe people who are going to be new to this game.

7 Likes

This has come up before and I appreciate your point to make it more appealing to new players I think there’s already too many opportunities to respec as is. You used to have to make a new char for a new build. Decisions had much more weight back then. Now There’s a respec for den of evil quest x 3 plus essence cubed.

17 Likes

A new player probably won’t be able to get the essences by themselves in hell on a bad build. My other suggestion for making essences drop in earlier difficulties would help this, but I like the akara gold cost idea more.

Making infinite respecs require killing hell baal is asking a little too much of a new player imo and I think infinite repecs should be more accessible (not necessarily common though)

2 Likes

Trading for essences has always been popular but the new player also has the option to make a fresh char like we used to back in the day. This is just my personal opinion on the subject.

15 Likes

True, trading is an option. I mostly play sp so essences are not common for me at all. Trading is something I’ve never done so they might be pretty common.

Forcing players to make new chars is something that I feel would frustrate new players rather than being an option for them, although the shared stash would let people transfer gear easily so maybe it wouldn’t be that bad.

D2R being a modernized version means making things more accessible (shared stash is a good example of this idea)

I played the Game after a break of 19Years.
This 3x respec is not what i know.
Remove it.
Diablo was always good without respec.
Play D3 if you want respec anytime.

13 Likes

I like how you think everyone plays online. I have played this game 20 years and I have never played online, and unless they change to instanced loot and not deleting your characters after a 3 month walk about, I will never play online.

Given how things like plugy won’t work with this version of D2, we need more akara resets.

It is amusing to think the way you play is the only valid way to play.

3 Likes

Woah there mr amused they already said they have made it easier for modders. You can also import saves from D2. shrug

I am also mr amused by the implication of us needing to make a change for D2R because some 3rd party mod not working.

2 Likes

All I ask for is some way to infinitely respec easily without killing hell baal. Not everyone will play online so trading for tokens isn’t a great solution.

I will mostly play sp and I would like to have respecs without needing to use mods (I’m not opposed to mods, I mainly play plugy) but I think a better option should exist.

4 Likes

Respecs for gold is already way too generous… they’d have to rework the entire end game essence system if that was implemented…

You get 3 free respecs and unlimited if you can make it that far… that’s reward enough.

5 Likes

Well having respec cheaper than resin your merc is a no go from me. The essences you can use on any character once acquired. If you never have played D2 most people flubbed their first toon. But you should be able to get all 3 respects before you know your toon will not make it in hell. Hell is the real check in this game.

Isn’t 3 reset points / skills enough? I was happy when they implanted 3 chances of resets. Need No more.

5 Likes

3 resets definitely isn’t enough for new players. And new players aren’t going to want to make a new character just to try new skills. This isn’t 2000 anymore and not everyone is a hardcore gamer.

D2R being released on consoles introduces so many new people to the game and having to make a whole new character just to spec out of a bad build will make many new players quit I feel.

I get that the game is hard and I don’t want many balance changes to the end game, but there needs to be some accessibility give new players an easier time playing through the game for the first time. Some new form of skill resets that helps new and experienced players is something that should exist, otherwise new players are going to stop playing.

Saying no to a change that would have little to no impact for experienced players, but greatly helps newer players makes absolutely no sense. Nobody has yet given a good reason to NOT include it (or any reason at all)

6 Likes

Then I have a suggestion for how much It could cost and It shouldn’t be cheap.

300k would be a good price.
Isn’ that expensive either.

If you sell items in Hell for 30k each great items you find you’ll be avaliable to reset your skills when you reach 300k gold. Then gold is more worthable in the game.

1 Like

I like that idea. I agree it should be expensive, but I think it should be based off char lvl. 300k gold for a level 30 char is a bit too much imo, but it should be a lot for the level (maybe 5k per char lvl?). I just feel there should some option aside from the token for infinite respecs (it doesn’t have to be gold)

Diablo 2 have also this inplanted in the game.

• Twisted Essence of Suffering (dropped by Andariel and Duriel)

• Charged Essence of Hatred (dropped by Mephisto)

• Burning Essence of Terror (dropped by Diablo)

• Festering Essence of Destruction (dropped by Baal).

which will allow you to reset your attributes and skills.

Really I’m very good with this.

6 Likes

Google Token of Absolution.

4 Likes

Against.

As others have said there are plenty of ways to respec your character already. If you are too poor and bad at the game to get a Token of Absolution on your own you either make a new char, or more likely, will find someone online who will help you for free.

All of these suggestions to make Diablo 2 less unforgiving are in fact just making it less Diablo 2.

6 Likes

So you’ve played it once in like what 2002, then ditched it for 19 years, and now you’re here making demands, telling the players that played this game for said 19 years, to play diablo 3? That’s some audacity you got there.

6 Likes

Nah, the game is fine the way it is. One freebie respec per difficulty, plus unlimited respecs with tokens.

There must be a price to pay for making a mistake, regardless if it’s accidental, intentional or due to ignorance.

1 Like