Modding Diablo 3: what would you do, if it was possible

Let’s say that Blizz did allow it for D3 and supported it by giving us the tools to mod. I know what I would do immediately. I would work hard on finding a way to move the crazy multipliers off of the sets and onto the character through the paragon system. Where we would have more things to spend points on other than +5 to main stat. I might even have diminishing returns as well.

This means that sets wouldn’t carry the bonuses nor would the legendaries. They would carry some cool utilities without extra damage.

1 Like

Maybe the most sucessful mode where bring back all player they could to consider to make the mod official.

Modding allows for texture packs, like what many people complain about in D3. It allows for games that become otherwise unplayable to be played. It allows for difficulty tuning, something D3 clearly needed ages ago. It would allow players to remove updates and play offline if they choose.

Arbitrarily turning D3 into a ‘competitive’ game with rifts doesn’t make it less likely for people to cheat. Blizzard has tried to claim that their DRM measures are for players benefit, but it’s clear it hasn’t worked. The game needs new content and the only people willing and capable of doing it are fans. Let’s stop pretending D3 is more lore driven than a TES game. Entire games have been built through mods and not just using the Creation Kit.

D3 is going to be put out to pasture soon. In reality, it was years ago. It’s too late to allow modding at this point bc that would now require development and resources. D3 was built to fight cheating and piracy, and while it failed to do so, it’s too built in to allow legit players to goof around in their own sandbox (which D3 is, like it or not). In the future when you can still go back to games from the 90s and 00s, but not D3, maybe you’ll begin to understand why such heavy-handed practices faded away so quickly.

1 Like

Instead of modding abilities and skills I’d like to make the current skills flashier as you level. You are getting stronger as you level right? And elemental effects should leave behind a residue of what it was. Massive ice blast in a room? Make the walls and floor have a mist coming off then as they gleam with a shine of ice. Massive fire blast? Walls and floor should be visibly burnt or heated red. Devastating ground slam? Floor should be splintered wood or broken rock. Poison should leave behind a green slim. My point is after a 300+ killstreak in a single spot why should the battlefield look like a clean freshly mowed plot of land?

1 Like

I’d like to change the UI to something a bit more user friendly.

1 Like

Mission Statement:
To make the core Diablo 3 experience better, not build a new game. For that reason, doing things like adding new acts is out of scope. This will focus on game play mechanics like Paragon, Itemization and skill balance. We’re not reinventing the wheel, we’re tinkering.

Short Term Goals:
Patching high priority / low effort systems that have been left to rot or been long standing game play health issues.

Itemization:

• Add new stats: The goal here is to add some additional stats that could pull builds away from crit chance + crit damage if the build jumps through the right hoops. Stuff like hit rating, and additional access to things like elite damage and elemental damage in order to take up stat real estate. Also new stats like:

• Multistrike: Chance on hit to attack again for 50% damage, multistrikes can not critically hit. Aim to support on hit builds through Multistrike.
    • Momentum: While attacking build a “momentum” buff that increases damage dealt by a percentage and falls off when not taking action.
  • Stat work: Buff attack speed to a level where it can reasonably compete as a gear stat (systemic attack speed from skills and passives will need to be reigned in as a result). On hit effects buffed across the board but can no longer crit to encourage Multistrike synergy. Stat rolls will also be mixed up on gear so that there is less clear “BIS” rolls.

• Paragon: More stats added to each Paragon page and Paragon capped at 800. Goal is to force players to stop players from being able to fill out the entire Paragon system and force them to make actual decisions in the Paragon system. For example, each page would have 6 potential stats to fill out and in 800 Paragon levels you can only max out 4. Experience gain rebalanced such that getting Paragon 800 is a meaningful but achievable grind.

New Items / Item Changes:
Adding some powerful items and making some changes to complement our other changes:

• Broken Promise: reworked to prevent all critical hits but increase damage by an amount that allows builds that can make use of stats other than crit chance to use it well without crowding out builds for whom crit remains top dog.

• LoN: No longer a 2 set, now a unique ring. Damage buffed slightly (perfect BIS LoN should almost always trump a 6 set).

• Unity: Melee have long been balanced around the Unity trick which holds them back in teams. The unity trick will be outright removed and melee will be balanced around having a role in teams. The new new Melee Durability bonus should help and additional tuning can be done on the passive and skill section.

• New Elemental support items added intended to be on par with Cindercoat in terms of power and build encouragement. * * New Physical Shoulders: Physical skills have double the chance to trigger area damage.

• New Rimeheart: Chance to deal 10,000% cold damage on crit.
    • New Gloves: Your multistrikes with lightning skills can critically hit.
    • New Holy Helmet: Holy skills can not miss. (Reminder: Hit rating was added as a stat)
  • Adding additional Legendary items with the intent to expand the number of skills with viable LoN / LoD builds.

• New Fist Weapon: Your generators have a chance on hit to deal additional damage equal to a percentage of the damage over time of Exploding Palm.
  • Gem Touch Up: (Goes hand in hand with changes from “Long Term Goals, Legendary Gem Rework” but fits nicely into the plan to nerf crit chance + crit damage and would not be prohibitive for early releases) Remove crit damage and flat damage from weapon slot gems and replace them with more conditional stats.

• Skill Balance Pass: I’ll be reworking most of the “obviously way better than alternative runes”. Things like Exploding Palm - Impending Doom. This won’t be a deep dive as I’ll need to see how skills land with new skill items and new elemental items in the mix.

Melee Balance: Baseline melee durability buff now includes 50% resistance to melee attacks. Melee characters are uniquely vulnerable to melee damage. Ranged characters are simply never in range of these attacks / effects and the extra damage caused to melee has long held melee back outside of ZDPS roles. Keeping the melee damage reduction specific to melee damage keeps heavy damage one shot effects working as intended between melee and ranged characters, while still giving melee a meaningful (much needed) toughness boost.

Rare and elite balance: Rare and Elite mobs have their health increased by 30-50%. Intent is to slow down combat overall and make screen clearing builds less dominant.

Long term goals:
These are larger systemic changes which will require more work and be beyond the scope of initial patches, likely released as full system updates:

Legendary Gem Update:
Two major changes here:

1. Legendary gems no longer socket into jewelry, instead they socket into weapons. Two handed weapons double the effects of any socketed legendary gem giving two handed weapons and dual wield unique angles of customization.
    1. Legendary gems reworked such that they ask more of your build than they do at present. Less generic power => more specific power. For example: Bane of the Trapped no longer self triggers with a slow aura. If you want to unlock this bonus you must include a slow in your build. Some gems will need to be more heavily reworked because they are too general (Looking at you Bane of the Stricken). Some gems will be reworked to fit our overall mission statements a little better, for example:
    • Iceblink: No longer increases crit chance. Instead sets crit chance up to a value of 50% at rank 110. What this means that your crit chance for cold skills is whatever the gem says, independent of any crit chance on gear. Cold skills could use this to free up stat real estate for stats other than crit. Two handed builds could forego another legendary gem to achieve the fabled 100% crit chance build.

Passive Skill Rework:
Moving passive skills away from generic bonuses and toward specific bonuses. There should be less universally good passives and more conditionally good passives. (Less Seize the Initiative, more Mythic Rhythm). Generally will be trying to create more interactive game play patterns which will require players to have more than 1 damage dealing skill on their bar to get the most of their damage. Likely looking to shift a significant amount of power into conditional passives.

Example: Mixed Martial Arts: Your kick skills have a chance on hit to cause your next Exploding Palm to Explode instantly for 100% additional damage. (Kick skills are skills which use a kick in the animation: Deadly Reach, Lashing Tail Kick, etc…).

Deeper Skill Function Pass: After seeing the balance shake out from our initial and passive changes we’ll do a deeper dive on skill balance with heavier rework in mind. Aim to add active portions to most skills that are currently used only as passive stat buffs. The Wizard is a big offender here. Will make bigger functional changes to skills in this pass.

As part of this skill function pass there will be a mandate to reduce the amount of passive team damage boosts and reduce the effectiveness of ZDPS roles including reducing the availability of enemy grouping abilities. In exchange the goal will be to make all classes feel more interactive and powerful in exchange.

Deeper Item Pass: Another section where our mandate will be to reduce generic power and require builds to jump through more hoops to access very powerful uniques. A good example of an item that wouldn’t make the cut is Squirt’s Necklace: It’s too much bonus for no real cost.

2 Likes

I would create various mods in one instance to make the enemies into pokemon and make a sub game out of it in some way.

Another would be to create a custom character with custom abilities based on a point system so as not to make an OP character. Think create a fighter and fighting styles.

Maybe make a more modern playable character base where you are soldiers with guns and u are transported into the demon realm and u have to fight your way back. ARPG DOOMish/haloish

Make it a halo game. Various human heroes/elites unlockable super characters, brutes etc… vs varying halo enemies, covs and Prometheus, as well as flood. Leave in the demons.

Hell while we are at it, i always enjoyed the legacy of kain games why not make it from that too. Health slowly drains u have to drink the blood of your enemies for strength and power. Soul reaver weapons and supernatural abilities.

The list goes on. Clash the warcraft/starcraft characters with diablo. Everyone gets sucked into the diablo world and each faction has to find their way to their own realm, a multiverse theme.

1 Like

One of the problems I had with d3 was the restriction of skills and runes. Given modding power, I want to use different runes of the same skill at the same time.

I wanted to make a crusader who only used the skill phalanx (+failing sword rise brothers).

Another thing I would mod in is making the visual look of each armor tier for each class it’s own set. One of d3’s charms was how each armor tier has a personality.

For example the armor tiers for demon hunter. Tier 1 leather armor says to me red riding hood which buffs wolves. Tier 6 stygian makes you look like an eagle eye archer so it turns your bat companion into a falcon. Tier 7 etched looks like a power rangers villain so a swarm of bats fits. Tier 11 balor is monster hunter so buff the boar.

1 Like

I need the internet to acquire them. I don’t need it to actually use them.

Needing the internet to use them would be where I draw the line.

1 Like

Texture packs are problematic for the developer. Half the people will make your game aesthetically more pleasing for themselves; the other half will replace your textures with flat colors and acid shaders to gain advantage through improved visibility, and THEN get frustrated with how ugly your game looks. Just take poe for example. Last I checked the meta on high level was to reduce gfx quality to minimum.

I prefer playing GOOD games, ignoring bad ones and expecting the developers to do their damn job if they want my money.

Have you reached GR 150? If not, stop talking of how d3 difficulty needs tuning.

Making arguments for my case now, are you?
Surely, you DO realize that this is a huge minus in the eyes of a developer?

And it is a minus for players as well. Because yes, you do get momentary improvement right now by playing offline (and let’s face it - for millions of people it’s about torrenting the game for free).
But you then get a worse sequel because the devs earned A LOT less money than they could have, because piracy. If you get a sequel at all.
Many great game studios closed because their games were pirated so hard that they didn’t have money to keep up.

Show me one person who thinks that.

Diablo series is and always was purely mechanics driven. It gives you play time not through a huge campaign story with tons of secrets and explorable locations - but through making base game mechanics turn what little content they have into highly replayable experience.

In D2 we used to run Baal on the same route hundreds of times. In D3 with it’s rift system - it is even better.

Just go play Diablo 3 on console. There you will see your mods

I dunno, I wouldn’t trust mods made without official tools.

2 Likes

Id make a path of exile mod. Path of Diablo3.

1 Like

if so, we already know it can be done. :wink:

1 Like

Turn it into a mobile game and advertise it as a new game

Nude Succubus as playable class🤔

Shut the followers up, Kormac us such an annoying pain in the buttocks.

It wouldn’t be too hard to build something similar to the D2 maps on D3:

1 Like

I would mute the followers.
I would remove the spitting by the barbarian.
I would make the wizard less arrogant.
I would expand/redo maps.
I would implement a rewards boost mechanism for soloists much like how multiplayer gets the boost.

Yes just some random Mods make more problems than they fix.

Absolutely spot on.