Missile Firebird weapon gem

Every build breakdown I see recommends an EMERALD in this build’s weapon, which seems odd to me. Doesn’t the build focus around causing as many 6-piece-bonus procs as possible, NOT critical hit damage? As far as I can tell, crit damage is entirely useless to the build. A ruby for a base damage buff or a diamond for elite damage seems better. No build breakdown I’ve found even mentions the weapon gem, let alone explains why emerald is preferred over…literally any other gem. Am I missing something regarding how damage is calculated with this build, or did this somehow go under EVERYONE’S radar?

It all adds to overall 6pc FB damage, CHD would be the best choice really. If a gem did AS though you’d likely choose that over the CHD, would probably need to be a good amount though. That’s why it performed so well with Wizardspike with Ethereals season.

So simply put, the damage being dealt per effect stack is NOT simply base damage? The damage being dealt accounts for hypothetical CHC and CHD? Basically, it’s applying damage based on DPS on the stats list, NOT weapon damage. With all due respect, what you said didn’t really answer my question. You just said “It adds to damage.” Okay, but…how? My question is how the build’s damage is calculated.

So even though the build doesn’t actually get its damage from critical hits, if I have 50/500 CHC/CHD, that means the build will still deal 250% more damage on average thanks to hypothetical crits?

Yes (twenty characters)