Micromanaging bone armor

Summary: the Scythe of the Cycle penalty to Bone Armor duration is excessive … unnecessarily so in my view.

As many have observed, the new Necromancer MoBC set feels under-powered. There are a number of enjoyable aspects of the design, including targeted use of bone spear from the player and 2 simulacra, and tankiness of the build due to multiple available sources of damage reduction.

A little mentioned factor that significantly reduces the enjoyment is the necessity for micromanagement of bone armor. I tested with ancient gear and 1700 paragon. There are two specific weapons that complement the 6-piece set bonus by adding bone spear damage, and both are usually included: Scythe of the Cycle and Maltorius’ Petrified Spike. Therein lies the rub.

The nearly obligatory Scythe of the Cycle, by reducing bone armor duration 4 seconds per cast, introduces an undesirable need to micromanage that skill. Once the skill cooldown is over and it can be re-cast, at 1.6 attacks per second I am able to cast only 5 bone spear and then the bone armor lapses. I have been able to keep bone armor active, by tapping the assigned key frequently, although often it is not yet off cooldown, requiring that I keep my eye on the toolbar timer. However in each rift, once or more, depending on mob density, I have been losing bone armor stacks. The penalty is reduced damage and toughness.

The annoyance of having to divert my attention constantly and to renew the bone armor buff so frequently, detracts from enjoyment of the build.

A similarly annoying factor is the difficulty in maintaining Essence. I have managed to do so for the most part by sacrificing other offensive and defensive skills to employ Devour, Life from Death, and Reaper’s Wraps. Even with such compromises, I have found that I have to include a generator skill, Bone Spikes.

I will likely (barring patched improvements) play the Demon Hunter GoD set in Season 21, rather than the Necromancer, despite eagerness to play the Necromancer. I have not enjoyed micromanaging bone armor and Essence. The DH does top off Momentum regularly, but that interruption of strafing feels productive, since the primary skill is buffed. For the Necromancer, it is solely an interruption to the play, admittedly one that has been required for other Necromancer builds also.

Aside from tweaking damage output, I propose:

1. Reduce the Scythe of the Cycle penalty to Bone Armor duration from 4 seconds to 2 seconds.
  2. Add greater benefit to primary skills, preferably faster Essence restoration. Essence on hit as an item affix is an alternative. At least add a compelling auxiliary benefit such as a damage bonus, cooldown reduction or incoming damage mitigation. Currently the restoration of Essence is tedious.
1 Like