Me So Thorny Achievement Help

Been working on getting the thorny achievement done and feel like my progress is extremely slow.

Using the invoker build, was running torment 6 but have now bumped it down to 3.

A couple questions to maybe help this move a little faster.

When does the achievement page update? Seems the only reliable way for me to force the achievement page to update is to quit Diablo and restart it. Even exiting the game I’m in and starting a new one doesn’t always get it to update.

Steed charge with spiked barding DOES count for thorns damage for this achievement is what I read somewhere… is this correct?

I’ve just been assuming that the thorns aura from the invoker counts for the kills; can I get confirmation on that?

(would figure all this out for myself, but with it being so hard to get the achievements page to actually update it is hard to test)

Any other general suggestions for the achievement? I’ve been running nephalem rifts at torment 3 so that I insta-kill pretty much every non-elite when I ride over them with the horse.

Based on a quick bit of googling, something I saw that was recommended: Stack up as MUCH thorns as you can. Every piece except weapon (with exception of Neanderthal) can do so. It also scales off your strength, so the more strength you have, the better.

Now, we have to keep in mind how we trigger that Thorns. I don’t know if Spiked Barding does or not. Only real way to be sure, is to log in, killed just a small couple enemies with it, then leave entirely and check for an update. If they all counted, cool. If not, then we know it doesn’t. I know for a fact Sanguinary Vambraces do NOT count towards the achievement.

As for Invoker 6 piece, I imagine it probably does? However, it’s also unnecessary.

maxroll.gg/d3planner/120582645

This is something I threw together, utilizing only the 2 piece of Invoker. You want to stay on low difficulties, but the damage you get from Hack does count. Alternate ways you can do it is to wear the Hack, and cube Akarat’s Awakening, to get better uptime on things like Provoke, Iron Skin, and Akarat’s Champion. But basically, we stack as much strength and vit as we can to increase our thorns. We use Captain to get extra damage out of CDR (which we want anyway). Since we have extra rolls that don’t matter (attack speed won’t help if we one-shot groups around us, crit doesn’t affect thorns), we can also fish for some extra Resource Cost Reduction for extra damage mitigation.

Also something else that can work to help, is do the same test for Bombardment Barrel of Thorns. If that counts as Thorns damage for that, I would replace Law of Hope with Bombardment Barrel of Thorns, and replace the Aquilla Cuirass in the cube with a Belt of the Trove.

EDIT: Also, I should probably look and see timeframes… Was just idly browsing, saw this post was on the front page, didn’t see it was 2 months ago… My bad.

2 Likes