[Main Thread] Windows 19041 - Freezing for 5-10 seconds

Read someone else commenting that the Razer Chroma SDK (which I assume is an API to make peripheral RGB react to in-game cues) causing issues, which got me thinking about the Corsair iCue software I have installed. (iCue is their equivalent of logi’s g-scrub and razer cortex if you weren’t aware)

I’ve never thought about it, but D3 controls colours on my KB as described above; it’ll flash orange when a legendary drops, green for set items, the colours will fade out on 1,2,3,4 in sync with cooldowns. Looks very pretty.

I didnt set this up or configure it, and assumed it was designed to work out of the box. GTA5 does a similar thing, as do a few other titles. (none of which I’ve had problems with, I might add).

Anyway, I quit iCue and ran D3, and not only have the freezes stopped, I haven’t even gotten any stuttering (which was fairly constant when accessing any panels, the maps, etc). So far in S23 I’ve lost 3 HC toons, and 2 lots of T16 bounties while inviting clan-mates for turn-in. Wish I’d thought of this sooner… I had previously tried all the other fixes and nothing else worked.

I’m not 100% sure it’s iCue yet, but it looks that way. The game plays much, much smoother, and no freezes or stuttering at all now.

I just assumed it was fine because i’ve not had any problems with other software, and it was just using the default profile with absolutely no changes to any key assignments etc. Running RTX3090 on 466.27, Windows 20H2

Tried removing the iCue software to no avail. Tried everything that everyone has proposed and nothing works. I surmise from people’s different outcomes that those that are successfully fixing this are probably people that are not playing for a long time at a go. I wish these things would work but at the end of the day it’s Blizzard that needs to fix this and by the looks of it this issue is not a priority - it doesn’t even seem that it’s on the radar. There was a couple post from the blues requesting information then one that indicated they had enough information but more than a year later and still no fix.

Mate, you are a life saver. I have been using this fix for a week now and have not had one FMOD error.

Sure it’s annoying signing in each time, but compared to a HC RIP it is nothing.

Now hopefully Blizzard can write something into the script.

Hey guys, there are so many confusing work arounds. Personally, if you don’t want sound, changing the fmodex64.dll as described works. I tried it for a week but couldn’t hear Gobs, or Gob packs.

So I went with creating a shortcut on the desktop, as per Adeavian-1934. I might note that a few other users also mentioned changing the affinity.

1. Write click on the desktop, select new ; then shortcut.
  2. The create shortcut wizard should appear asking for the location for the item.
  3. Input - C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “Diablo III64” /affinity 3 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64\Diablo III64.exe” -launch
  4. Hit Next
  5. A window appears asking for the shortcut name, call it what you want and hit Enter.
  6. The window should disappear and a CMD prompt or Dos window icon will apear on the desktop.
  7. Make sure the blizzard launcher is not active in your task bar.
  8. Double click on the cmd prompt box you created. The game should launch and it might take a few seconds. You should get a normal login screen and authenticator, not the blizzard launcher window.
  9. If it does not start, try the following.
  10. Right click on the shortcut you created and select properties.
  11. Left click anywhere in the ‘Target’ line. Left arrow all the way to the start of the line.
  12. Right arrow space by space, when you get to a " quotation mark, delete it and replace it with one from your keyboard. For some reason, quotation marks are not the same on all computers. Do this for all of the " marks and when you get to the end. Select Apply then OK.
  13. Double click on the file you created again.

This solution did work for me with a couple of tweaks. Obviously had to change drive letter to where my Diablo 3 is installed. Also changing the quotation marks in the hole line fixed the problem of it not running mine where different than they where in this line…

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “Diablo III64” /affinity 3 “E:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64\Diablo III64.exe” -launch

The last change I made in the game was to change my sound setting to 16 bit.

Running with no problems as of yet!

Will tried this fix for a day works great playing solo but if I pay with others game locks up and crashes!

Back to playing with no sound for now!

I tried everything and it didn’t work, when I removed the conversion of the elements of my char completely stopped the problem …

Still getting the 10+ sec freezes after using Mirror Image despite whatever they did in the Wednesday patch.

Been playing since Friday with no issues that affect gameplay. I still get some errors in d3debug but they are different to previous faults that lagged game. Most importantly my sound is working fine. Not sure why this works for me but it has stopped me rage quiting the game.

I downloaded and updated Visual Studio 2019 files. (Only need to do once)
https ://aka.ms/vs/16/release/VC_redist.x64.exe

I open battle.net and let D3 update, after I go to Diablo folder x64 and Shift delete the following files after each update.

msvcp140.dll - vcruntime140.dll

Back to battle.net and hit play.

EDIT: Reading other posts I need to test this with COE equipped or on a team member. Will test tonight

Well… This action actually worked for me. Using the affinity has allowed me to play 12 hours straight without a single freeze.

2 Likes

Big thanks to original poster. I think Adeavian. With the fix. Just like others the dumb quotes got me and fixed them too. Adeavian even noted this issue later and addressed. Thanks!.

The really dumb thing here is that Blizzard does not fix this in the launcher. Launching the game sans Launcher will most likely cause issues if an update comes up and you miss it due to no longer using it.

I am sick to death of this problem. Over 12 months this has been happening and Blizzard either flat out refuses to fix it or is unable to. How about fixing it as a next season theme hhhmmmm , ridiculous that players must create all these work arounds for such a common issue - it is clearly an issue with the damn game.
Utterly ridiculous this isn’t being addressed and fixed.

6 Likes

Me too. I quit the game until it gets fixed cuz it’s unplayable. Constant troubles with this game since release, now I need to remove sound to play? It’s broken so much it’s not worth my time then and devs don’t care as well so nothing left for me to do here.

3 Likes

Hello, I have recently started to experience this problem, i guess since my Nvidia updated to the currently latest 466.27 and quite surprised to see that this problem has actually been going on for almost a year now.

But I was even more surprised that Blizzard still couldn’t address the problem and find a permanent fix over few workarounds just as if it was quite normal to sacrifice the sound of the game altogether to make the game playable.

Well, it seems they abandoned Diablo 3 and all the loyal gamers along with it.

1 Like

It works but the game runs much faster than normal. Something is not right somewhere.

The above fix of replacing the DLL and VCruntime work. Took a bit of messing around but definitely stops the freezes on my machine.

This problem had Blue comments in August last year. Surely there is a definate fix by now, rather than us playing around with CMD line code.

1 Like

Does not work for me. In fact the freezes have now become a freeze into a crash.

Yeah I am having the same issues especially when I am doing GRs in game it freezes for couple minutes and then comes back like nothing happened except my character is either dead or my resource is depleted like Hatred since I’m playing a DH this season.

I have literally tried any possible solution I updated my game drivers , scan and repair diablo 3, etc. and nothing fixed it as of yet and it’s getting annoying I know it’s not my PC because I just upgraded to a new gaming PC few days ago so everything is good and updated regularly so for sure it’s a diablo problem that needs a fix ASAP

Can we get an update instead of just closing the other post, also can this TOPIC get moved to BUGS where it belongs! Nothing is happening and players are leaving the season fast. Thanks!

Some background info would be nice, we as a community have nailed the fault down to FMOD and new Windows update not playing nice, what have the dev’s found? How long to actually fix if they are going to, if they don’t intend to, then tell us so we can go enjoy something else.

5 Likes