[Main Thread] Windows 19041 - Freezing for 5-10 seconds

^^^ ^^^ ^^^ Just follow their guide but replace the " "
This 100% worked for me. Not a single crash in 17 hours.

I was ready to post today about the success however… if its not one thing its another in this janky game. Just died (HC) in a GR110 because the server lagged out. Nothing wrong with my internet. Unreliable horrible product that requires so much effort to enjoy. I’m at the point where I resent that I actually like this game when it works but enough is enough eh?

Well i have tried this shortcut thing and it will not work at all… " cannot find diablo" or thing happens. Iv tride modifi it and other links to the diabloIII64 and nothing.

seems like its the code “C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “Diablo III64” /affinity 3” that seems to be the problem. if i just link to the location its fine
have edit it in multiple ways

cant play this game due to the freez issue

Try this :

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “Diablo III64” /affinity 3 “D:\Jeux\Diablo III\x64\Diablo III64.exe” -launch

Just replace D:\Jeux\Diablo III\x64\ by the directory where Diablo3 is installed on your pc.

I’m getting 10 seconds of full freezing the game since yesterday with my firewbird wizard.
It was no problem but a bit laggy from start of season, until i turned sound channels to 8bit/16bit but never had these full freezes.
Since yesterday i get a full 10 sdeconds freeze and die.

doesnt work, i give up

1 Like

Defo seems positive atm using this fix above, will report back after some more higher wiz runs

1 Like

The more wizz in group the better.
U will get a lot of position errors, but with the 2019 runtime no freeze.
Go on.

1 Like

Working great not one issue all night, first time in years, and i have SOUND!!!

Note : Read the whole post theres an extra step to take once to get it working with no issues.

it doesn’t work …for me!
the definitive solution is this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “Diablo III64” /affinity 3 “D:\Jeux\Diablo III\x64\Diablo III64.exe” -launch

I started hearing about this a year or so ago. When I updated win10 from 19H2 to 20H2 i got the freezing problem. So i reversed back to 19H2 and Freeze gone. So I did a clean new install of Win 20H2 current version and again Freeze. Tried the Fmod but still freeze. So I now have win 1019H2 on one partition with updates disabled and a second win 10 current version 20H2 w updates but no diablo. When i want to play i reboot to the old version of windows 10 pre freeze Fmod. Sure wish there was a better way forward. Such a long term problem that has affected so many players.

Example my group 4 players play every day for an hour. 2 players use the Fmode no sound work around have freeze problems due to update 20H2. One is using win Xp from Ukraine no freeze problem. and my solution above.

blz dropped support for this OS ~3 years ago :joy:
min req to run game is windows 7

Hello, sorry I didn’t read this entire thread so if someone already suggested this I apologize. I have been struggling with random lag spikes for about two weeks, trying to figure it out, reading forum posts, even changed my network card, lots of things. I finally purchased some software to monitor my network traffic to try and pinpoint what was causing these lag spikes on my machine, and it appears to have been the BattleNet client.
So tonight I started up the client, launched D3 from it, then closed the client. It was the first time I could play the game for more than 10 minutes without any lag spikes. I even was able to do a regular rift, no lag spikes, and I can never do that. My monitoring software actually seems to have pointed to the BattleNet updater, but I can’t say for sure. Just wanted to share this with people in case it helps someone. I didn’t install anything else or change any settings, I actually upped my video settings because I have a new Asus desktop with a great video card (RTX 2080 Super), left sound settings alone, etc. All I did was not have the BattleNet client running during gameplay.

Cheers

I’m also freezing every rift/gr at minimum once for 5-10 seconds, sometimes up to 3. in a 5 min run. there’s little to no lag at anytime until screen freeze comes in. if I’m channeling before freeze comes in I can continue to hold the spell and survive sometimes. I have played multiple seasons but skipped last season and I have never had this problem happen. turning all graphic settings to lowest or highest doesn’t cause more or less lag, and it doesn’t change the amount of freezing. drivers up to date, tried repairing diablo 3 and then reinstalling it completely. tried to run at 32 bit, tried to run in administrator mode, disabled sound. all my other games run as well as they ever have. I spent 40-50 hours playing firebird solo gearing with no issues and as soon as I start joining grs its completely unplayable. also the first time I’ve tried firebird so ima switch to vyrs and see if that stops it for some reason though I doubt it.
I just seen they are updating something on the 5th so I’m really hoping this is the issue they are fixing.

Really sorry for you :frowning:

It worked for me.

Try a few runs without convention of elements equipped and see if you still have the issue with the freezes

Read someone else commenting that the Razer Chroma SDK (which I assume is an API to make peripheral RGB react to in-game cues) causing issues, which got me thinking about the Corsair iCue software I have installed. (iCue is their equivalent of logi’s g-scrub and razer cortex if you weren’t aware)

I’ve never thought about it, but D3 controls colours on my KB as described above; it’ll flash orange when a legendary drops, green for set items, the colours will fade out on 1,2,3,4 in sync with cooldowns. Looks very pretty.

I didnt set this up or configure it, and assumed it was designed to work out of the box. GTA5 does a similar thing, as do a few other titles. (none of which I’ve had problems with, I might add).

Anyway, I quit iCue and ran D3, and not only have the freezes stopped, I haven’t even gotten any stuttering (which was fairly constant when accessing any panels, the maps, etc). So far in S23 I’ve lost 3 HC toons, and 2 lots of T16 bounties while inviting clan-mates for turn-in. Wish I’d thought of this sooner… I had previously tried all the other fixes and nothing else worked.

I’m not 100% sure it’s iCue yet, but it looks that way. The game plays much, much smoother, and no freezes or stuttering at all now.

I just assumed it was fine because i’ve not had any problems with other software, and it was just using the default profile with absolutely no changes to any key assignments etc. Running RTX3090 on 466.27, Windows 20H2

Tried removing the iCue software to no avail. Tried everything that everyone has proposed and nothing works. I surmise from people’s different outcomes that those that are successfully fixing this are probably people that are not playing for a long time at a go. I wish these things would work but at the end of the day it’s Blizzard that needs to fix this and by the looks of it this issue is not a priority - it doesn’t even seem that it’s on the radar. There was a couple post from the blues requesting information then one that indicated they had enough information but more than a year later and still no fix.

Mate, you are a life saver. I have been using this fix for a week now and have not had one FMOD error.

Sure it’s annoying signing in each time, but compared to a HC RIP it is nothing.

Now hopefully Blizzard can write something into the script.

Hey guys, there are so many confusing work arounds. Personally, if you don’t want sound, changing the fmodex64.dll as described works. I tried it for a week but couldn’t hear Gobs, or Gob packs.

So I went with creating a shortcut on the desktop, as per Adeavian-1934. I might note that a few other users also mentioned changing the affinity.

1. Write click on the desktop, select new ; then shortcut.
  2. The create shortcut wizard should appear asking for the location for the item.
  3. Input - C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “Diablo III64” /affinity 3 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64\Diablo III64.exe” -launch
  4. Hit Next
  5. A window appears asking for the shortcut name, call it what you want and hit Enter.
  6. The window should disappear and a CMD prompt or Dos window icon will apear on the desktop.
  7. Make sure the blizzard launcher is not active in your task bar.
  8. Double click on the cmd prompt box you created. The game should launch and it might take a few seconds. You should get a normal login screen and authenticator, not the blizzard launcher window.
  9. If it does not start, try the following.
  10. Right click on the shortcut you created and select properties.
  11. Left click anywhere in the ‘Target’ line. Left arrow all the way to the start of the line.
  12. Right arrow space by space, when you get to a " quotation mark, delete it and replace it with one from your keyboard. For some reason, quotation marks are not the same on all computers. Do this for all of the " marks and when you get to the end. Select Apply then OK.
  13. Double click on the file you created again.