Loot Questions and whatnot

It would have to be server side loot like every other RPG just for the anti-cheat/security.

1 Like

they should really just make it an option once you create a game what kind of loot you want, make FFA the default one or whatever will make some people happy

1 Like

I think it would only confuse a lot of people to have two different loot mechanics in games.

Um that has NEVER been the case. Heres the thing, people want this remaster to be the exact same as before. If you want it that way, go play the original. you will then get your cake and eat it to. The rest of us want something better.

We hope to do that with better graphics and sound.

You should join them in D3, or wait for D4.

The original game is deteriorating to the point where itā€™s going to be unplayable for an ever growing part of the people who love playing the game. IMO the main purpose of D2:R is to address a large number of issues plaguing the original game. A simple ā€˜fix it allā€™ patch wasnā€™t going to cut it for the original game, otherwise they would have just done that.

Getting slapped with a two week Battle.net restriction because you forgot to turn off your VPN isnā€™t fun.
Having to use a glide wrapper just to get the game in a playable state should not be needed.
Then thereā€™s the whole botting problemā€¦

The only thing that Blizzard should do to this game as far as progression is to iron out the lengthily list of long standing bugs that have plagued the game, keep the pressure on the bots/hacks and keep the lid on any item duplication methods.

Any changes, new content etc. that would significantly change the way the game has been played for the past 20 years would deviate from the intent of this remaster; to preserve the game as we remember it for us to continue playing now and into the future.

1 Like

Different loot distribuction mechanic doesnt mean better. It will be different, not better. It can be very easily worse instead.

1 Like

if such a simple thing like that would confuse anyone, maybe d2 is not the game for them

There are downsides to personal loot. We have to be mindful of this when talking about giving options for personal loot and FFA loot.

The problems of FFA loot are also obvious. There is a reason the devs have asked about it in a survey, and most games these days are not made with FFA loot.

This is a difficult question, and although I believe personal loot is typically a better design, the downsides may actually be worse if cheating can be kept to an absolute minimum.

The cheating part is what I am most skeptical of. I doubt Blizzard has the capability to stop pickit hacks, as they are a difficult client side program to detect.

If pickit is not an issue- I would like D2 to remain FFA, or a new realm with both options.

If pickit is an issue - FFA loot only could destroy the gameā€™s economy.

1 Like

Shared loot is terrible and is really meant for younger childeren. Its the equiv of a ā€œstory modeā€ on a RTS campaign

Going to have to disagree here, just from a game developer standpoint. FFA loot is easier to exploit with client side software. There are plenty of good reasons for shared loot in developing games.

That being said, I really, really hope Blizzard finds a way to get rid of pickit software. I would love it if a true FFA-style loot system was viable again, as it was pretty fun in D2 before 2003-2004 when pickit became so bloody popular.

see, and I think youā€™re wrong there, so we are gonna have to agree to disagree there as well. the game devs clearly disagreed with you, or we would have seen personal loot initially.

if you allow personal loot, you will damage the economy greater then allowing bots.

The game developers have stated it was more an issue that personal loot wasnā€™t a thing, back then, not that it was a conscious choice.

I agree that personal loot has downsides, though I think comparing it to allowing bots is hyperbolic, and think that if you are honest with yourself, will admit the hyperbole.

FFA has downsides too, and software that allows items to be picked up before a human can click, is certainly one of those downsides.

For the record, I hope D2r has FFA loot as the standard option, but if Blizzard is forced to admit they canā€™t stop pickit software, something will need to be done.

just seems like a terrible route to me that butchers the entire essence of the game.

they cant seem to stop flying hacks in classic, but that doesnt mean that they just allow every character to fly.

Loot dropping in hardcore and, and risking life to get that, is integral to the game.

Hell, Iā€™m gonna say, Loot dropping in SC, and risking your life, and your HP to get it before someone else, is INTEGRAL to the game.

If you give us personal loot, might as well make softcore have no death penalty, hardcore only have an exp loss, introduce a Blizzard Rune Shop, see what else happens :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Canā€™t disagree with much youā€™re saying, and unless I saw noobs with pickit in every game I run, I would still stick to FFA loot myself, if given the choice. I am always able to take much more than 1/8 of the loot, as I usually run my own games, so FFA is of great benefit to meā€¦

Iā€™m just disappointed that cheaters ruined the best Arpg of all time, for nearly 20 years.
Pickit will sour me on D2 again, so if it makes a resurgence, theyā€™ll need some tools in their kit. A personal loot option is one of those tools.

Personal loot is bad in many ways, and creates its own issues, which is why Iā€™m very skeptical unless itā€™s implemented for combating cheats. I donā€™t really like it as an answer for things like

• my computer is too slow
  • I have bad internet
  • my fingers hurt
  • personal loot is fairer

But to combat cheats- I would put up with it and think itā€™s a fair compromise, depending on their anti-cheat capabilities.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe that my post here was flagged and removed, this community is cancer

i was gonna beat cancer, but i couldnt find cancer, so i found this guy with cancer.