Loot Pickup Idea

Before I post my idea of loot pickup let me just say that I am strictly for shared
loot like the original D2, but if they implement a different loot pickup then hopefully this could be a compromise for the way that loot is picked up, or at least the way that shared loot is handled by leechers, and ranged players. For my idea there would hardly be any leechers, and ranged players would have the same chance of picking up items as close quarters melee combat players.

The most common/sought items that people pick up right away, including ninja looters are unique items/set items/rare items/runes. These four are what most people try to pick up right away when they drop. With that said these types of items will only be able to be picked up from players that have gotten a hit on the monster(leechers, especially level 1’s, would hardly get the loot because they wouldn’t hardly ever get a hit on the monster), and also these will be timed loot. Here is an example:
These players are all partied, and only 6 players get a hit on Andariel:
Player 1 Level 88(has at least 1 hit on Andariel)
Player 2 Level 84(has at least 1 hit on Andariel)
Player 3 Level 1
Player 4 Level 76(has at least 1 hit on Andariel)
Player 5 Level 10
Player 6 Level 89(has at least 1 hit on Andariel)
Player 7 Level 67(has at least 1 hit on Andariel)
Player 8 Level 79(has at least 1 hit on Andariel)
Once Andariel dies, the 6 players that have gotten at least 1 hit on Andariel will have a chance to pick up the common/sought items(unique items/set items/rare items/runes). The Level 1, and Level 10 that didn’t get a hit on Andariel will have a 0% chance of picking up the common/sought items(unique items/set items/rare items/runes). All other items that drop will be shared loot so that will be FFA for anyone to pick up. Now, the 6 players will be on a set timed loot pickup(2-3 seconds) for the common/sought items(unique items/set items/rare items/runes). These 6 players will see the items, but can’t have a chance to pick them up until the 2-3 second timer is done. This will allow ranged players to have a chance to pick up items that close quarters melee combat players usually pick up first. If these 6 players decide to not pick up a certain common/sought item(unique items/set items/rare items/runes) then after all 6 players leave the area of these items then they become shared loot and anyone can pick them up so that way they don’t go to waste. With this example it makes it to where leechers wouldn’t be able to ninja the loot as much, and also ranged players would have a better chance to pick up items.

This is just an idea of mine that could help towards the “loot” debate of shared loot, or personal loot. Also, this is just one example/variable and there could be others that I haven’t thought of right off hand. Let me know what you all think. Could this be a possible compromise for the way shared loot is handled? Any other ideas for loot pickup? Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally do appreciate the thought and it’s not a bad idea at all but anything other than what it currently is, FFA, seems convoluted to me.

Keep in mind there is certainly a way to create ‘personal loot done right’ that I would 100% agree with and argue for.

I just don’t think it belongs in D2:R

7 Likes

Yea, I want D2R to stay shared loot(FFA) which in recent interviews the Devs said that they are sticking to shared loot(FFA) for D2R. But, if they do change the way loot is picked up later down the road then I don’t want personal loot, or even the option of personal loot. I would rather have the loot pickup idea that I mentioned above that would help combat ninja looters, and ranged players would have a better chance to pick up items. There are so many ways/variables that they can change loot pickup. I personally like the original D2 shared loot(FFA) like it’s always been! Consequence, and reward! Friendships, and foes! Life lessons learned along the way! Communities, and Clans built to gain trust, and share knowledge, and “items”! :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry guy but i just can’t get onboard with these ideas, the whole ranged thing:

Typically your first character isn’t going to be one that can’t compete with loot.
And if it is you would most likely find yourself in a party with known players, So they can spoonfeed you.

I understand that people have a sour taste left in their mouth by a moocher beating them to a drop…but if a leecher is able to pull that off more power to him, that’s how the cookie crumbles.

1 Like

I don’t even want these ideas to be implemented. I want D2R to always stay shared loot(FFA) like D2 has always been. But, if they were to change the loot pickup then I definitely do not want personal loot in D2R. There are other ways to change the loot pickup to still keep it shared loot(FFA) overall. Also, experienced players that play ranged characters know that just before the boss/monster is killed you run up to the boss/monster so that way you get a chance at picking up the loot. A lot of people especially new players may just stand back firing away, and once boss/monster is killed then they run up. They need to run up before the kill so that way they get a chance to pick up loot. I personally do not ninja loot, especially if a higher character is rushing me, or making all the kills then I let them have the loot, or if they don’t want it then I’ll pick it up. Majority of leechers stand back from monsters especially if they’re only level 1 getting rushed, so they don’t have a chance to pick up loot. Like I said, though, D2 is all about consequence, and reward! Friendships, and foes! Life lessons learned along the way! Communities, and Clans built to gain trust, and share knowledge, and “items”! :smiley: