Loading Screens

Let’s try it out first. Beta is in 3 days. Then we can come back and give feedback based on experience not on what we think it might feel like.

Chances that it will impact flow are high.

They already said that they reduced the load-times, but i did not see whether their load-time improvement was already part of the beta or whether it was part of the development branch that also contains the load-screen-of-death fix.

Tell that too the ppl complaining about a 40$ game and wanting options for low quality visuals to support there PC, that they only need a Ultra wide screen to have a level playing field with others. there’s more then a small minority that don’t have this kinda equipment.

You have. They are just masking them better these days.

alright what % of people need to be using something before it isn’t or is supported?

Unfortunately that doesn’t work, because the progress, that the dev team made with the loading screen has enz. made it into the beta.

We will only see, if it is ok, after the release.

That is not really clear. Maybe you read something, i did not see, in which case please link it. Otherwise my comment still stands:

Get Nvme, it will revolutionize your world.

1 Like

I literally can’t get to the english version of this website, but it’s under blizzard.com > Games > D2R > News > the beta article. There in the FAQ, they write explicitly, that the loading screen changes will not make it into the beta.

It will be a sad day for the Diablo franchise if they ruin D2:R just to appease the small number of players who own an ultrawide monitor.

Teleporting twice as fast, killing monsters that never even had the chance to reach you and wrecking people in PvP with a pure hardware advantage is plain and simply horrible for the game.

How is this so hard to understand?

2 Likes

I know.

They wrote:

A: As mentioned in the Technical Alpha Learnings blog, characters will no longer spawn in a hostile place until the game is fully loaded, preventing characters from getting attacked or harmed during a loading screen. This fix is not in the build for the Early Access and Open Beta, but it will be in the game for launch. We didn’t want to delay the timing of the upcoming tests for this issue.

Play Diablo® II: Resurrected™ During the Early Access & Open Beta — Diablo II: Resurrected — Blizzard News

Which says nothing about the load time improvements that they talked about in the alpha feedback:

Loading Screen: Character Vulnerability & Time

Characters will no longer spawn in a hostile place until the game is fully loaded, preventing characters from getting attacked or harmed during a loading screen. Additionally, the overall load times will be faster.

Technical Alpha Learnings — Diablo II: Resurrected — Blizzard News

You could argue that they might be part of the same change. But improving load times seems to be a universal engine topic, while the load screens are a concentrated change on one aspect of the game.
So it could be combined in the same branch or split into two releases.

That is why i said that we may see the fast load times already, but still be vulnerable on the screen.

You are right, strictly speaking, this is not the same at all. I assumed they were talking about both. Idk for sure, what’s correct here.

you make a valid point d2r should be capped at 1024 x 768 4:3 as that is still a resolution used by people on the steam hardware survey and you would be giving anyone using anything other than that an unfair hardware advantage to not keep 4:3

NSwitch players beg to differ!
1280 × 720! Everything else is unfair advantage!

I mean, I used to play this game back in the day on AOL dialup… :joy:

that’s actually technically a higher resolution and a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9

with that said you do make a fair point with 720 being the maximum theoretical vertical pixel count but we need to cap the 4:3 aspect ratio still so. 960 x 720 is max resolution for d3r

fair point we need to find the highest MS latency response of a d2r player and also slowest network speed so we can cap everyone to those as well to prevent unfair hardware advantages.

1 Like

I think you are missing the point by several miles.

It is about finding a solution that works with D2 gameplay and is beneficial for the experience of the majority of the player base.

The difference between 4:3 and 16:9 is still moderate and I am sure that they can implement 16:9 support without breaking the game at it’s core.

In addition the overwhelming majority of people is using 16:9 screens, so it will not affect them in a negative way.

Going beyond that mark makes it harder and harder to reconcile it with the way D2 gameplay is working (especially in regards of combat and AI) and makes the gameplay experience considerably worse for a lot of players.

The negative sides of unrestricted ultrawide support clearly outweigh the positive ones.

1 Like

roughly the same difference between 4:3 and 16:9 as their is between 16:9 and 21:9

But it isn’t about the difference between 16:9 and 21:9

It is about the difference between 4:3 and 21:9

you are specifically talking about the advantage 21:9 gives over 16:9