Light Radius as a Stat going into Diablo 4

I think you forget “the forges are hot”, “So we DOUBLED it.” “We are listening.”

I really like this response because it boils down what D3 became.

It lost many of the RPG aspects that were present in the previous Diablo games.

There can be a balance for both types of the game to exist. Hopefully we see a return of elements present in Diablo 1 and 2 in Diablo 4.

2 Likes

Nothing beats sending a firebolt or the like down a dark hallway to take a peek at lurking dangers…

These are symptoms of the “race car” that D3 became. No thanks. Really feels like hamster wheel, where I did NOT get that sensation from D2…even on the 3rd time through the campaign in Hell mode.

It is possible to have rewarding play and XP without the break-neck speeds and slavish “efficiency” mental shackles.

Dare you to ‘rediscover’ devs…double dare ya.

3 Likes

Absolutely, I agree. If the devs went back and played Diablo 1 they would gain a great insight to how the game felt when it was being played.

There is a feeling attached to going into a pitch black dungeon filled with dangerous mobs.

2 Likes

This is overall a bad idea.

You do feel excited when it feels dark but some players (like me) don’t, and I prefer the brighter D3 to D2. It’s also accessibility related: some people don’t have a good environment to play such a dark game, or even have partial-disability in their eyes.

A wise way is to set it dark by default and you have a switch to turn it bright. You can enjoy the darkness and the feel of unknown but others can play the game without problem.

That’s why there are things like called gamma and brightness scale in old horror games I think.

Oddly enough, I love the Silent Hill series but in 2, 3, and Origins I always turn the in game brightness up. The darkness doesn’t make it any scarier for me. It just makes it annoying because I can’t see anything :joy:

On the topic at hand, I usually lean towards clarity in the environment, and I’m not specifically even talking about darkness. There are a few rift pallets that I hate to see because for me its difficult to distinguish whats going on (for instance a really white back ground with a lot of white/translucent type enemies).

I wouldn’t mind a situational type darkness similar to the effect in D2 Act 2 when going after the amulet, but I’d prefer it not to be persistently dark.

CC reduction is a stat?

Movement speed on gear isn’t that engaging entirely due to the 25% “gear” cap, which Paragon automatically fills. If that cap was removed, then you’d want to max movement speed whereever possible, because additional movement speed is great (Which is why speed runs is as much movement speed as you can get)

2 Likes

Situational darkness makes the most sense.

When you are in a bright desert, you shouldn’t have a light radius and should be able to see far.

When you are in a cave with no light source, no torches, you should have a light radius not being able to see after x distance.

1 Like

lol no offense dude but like in real life if it is dark u will not see anything you are not going to turn the brightness up if u dont have something that gives you light. and yea its annoying to dont know what comes ahead that gives more difficult to the game cuz u dont know what comes ahead instead of be running like flash just spamming one skill.

Like the quest of the hunters of legion. when u are in the Dark woods felt like other game :smiley: all dark and couldnt see whats ahead. this should be in caves and places with few light at least. i hope it returns in a better way more realistic.

Dark places are fine, but it’s light radius as a stat that causes the issues.

Also, you can accomplish the foreboding feeling with sounds, doors, traps.

That’s a categorical NO. It’s not 1996 anymore.

1 Like

I can’t agree more with light radius as an atmospheric element for the game. As the OP, I enjoy the darkness of the dungeons in Diablo 1 and 2, sure it will slow down your ‘run times’ but, again, Diablo was born as an RPG, not as a racing game.

As and RPG, EVERYRHING related with rol, lore and atmosphere should be a MUST, at least that’s my opinion. They said they were back to the darkness, and they want to embreace darkness too, so what’s the point on having all those light points in dungeons?

Have anyone of you ever played a tabletop RPG, entered and dungeon, and magically you can see verything inside the dungeon without any torch or light source?

To me, this doesn’t make sense, and as the OP said, sure if you are outside, in a bright dessert, you wouldn’t need/see any light radius, but, inside dungeons??.. To me this should be a granted.

Embrace the darkness, make a game for those who enjoy the RPG, and make something else to those who only want to make runs over and over again, faster and faster, forgetting this was once and RPG game, and not a speedrun game.

It will be rated M just like D3.

To be fair a torch would illuminate a very large area if not the entire room enough to see everything. The notion that you can’t see more than a few feet in front of you even with a non focused light source never made any sense.

You can have a dark atmosphere without limiting visibility. But this plays right into the immersion discussions. Light radius should be an immersion breaking element. You player never holds a torch or lantern. If the player is the light source, even faint, would allow one to see much more than you could in the previous games.

That’s true, the part where the player being the light source doesn’t make any sense role wise, but it does makes sense in the atmospheric part for a dark game. For me, a dark game is not just blood and gore, is literally darkness too.

What I meant before is, for me it doesn’t make any sense role wise, to go in a dungeon and find that, there is a torch/light source in every corner, and there is no dark places. Demons/monsters wouldn’t have their own dungeon full of torchs, but again, that’s my opinion, it’s good that people are giving their opinion at least.

Sentient beings that rely on sight that have mastery if fire most certainly would. Minsters/animals not so much. Now, how many adventurers have traveled into thise caves/dungeons and have set up holders for torches so they could see? That makes perfect sense and adds to world building given all the dead adventurers laying around.

With that, I would rather see an interaction system where a player clicks on lighting sources to illuminate areas. Can go one step further, players would need torches to place or flint to light them. This would make way more sense than a light source stat.

Honestly, that sounds good. We could have dark dungeons for those who preffer that, and not so dark dungeons for those who preffer to see everything all the time.

In fact, I can take this even one step further, making a ‘system setting switch’, to enable/disable darkest dungeons, and that switch could turn on/off light sources in dungeons, like torchs and so.

The point is, I myself, and I think more people would be with me in this, preffer to have the option to play the game at other pace, not rushing, and trying to bring back that nostalgic feeling that D1 and D2 gave us when entering dark zones, those moments of tension without knowing what is in front of or on the other side of the door.

I’d rather there not be a toggle. Just click torch if you want light.