Levelling people up

don’t you just hate it when they go back to town and close the rift while you’ve got a wide open map with lots of elites still left?

3 Likes

Not at all. There’s a new rift full of more elites a click away.

9 Likes

It’s not a click away, it’s 30 seconds away. We could have just finished.
Plus it could have been a rubbish map.

For me Rifts are for getting keys. There is almost no progression gained and very little rewards. The faster we can finish the better.

Edit: This applies to leveling or just rifting. If I’m leveling someone, after I kill the RG I collect the key and close. Might as well collect a few keys for my trouble.

5 Likes

Ah. 30 seconds is nothing to me.

Besides the next map might be more linear increasing the chances of hitting more trash and elites between the start and end, unlike an open map where I’d have to go hunting for them.

Sure, open maps are good for pushing, but for power leveling the linear maps are much better since everything is condensed, at least that’s the case for my speed running.

Plus, even if you clear the level, and it’s not enough to reach 70, you’ll have to wait for the 30 seconds for the next run anyway.

And its more keys.

2 Likes

I tell anyone I am power leveling not to close my rifts, as I like to clear the floor I am on, usually, but it depends on how close to 70 the person is. Sometimes it is easier to do another rift, and you get extra keys doing it, so its a win-win. But I do agree, if someone is getting Power Leveled, they need to follow direction.

If you are going to level people why don’t you set an expectation of how you would like the run to go? If you do not set the standard you can not expect people to read minds.

4 Likes

Well, you have 30 seconds to kill them.

No, they just want to get on with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can jump back in the rift while it is closing.

Often that’s what I do, go to town to start the closing and if I don’t need to sell/repair/etc then I just go back into my portal and kill a few more things while I wait for the timer.

Oh noes! A whole 30 seconds. My god the kids today and their lack of patience.

1 Like

did you know u can still stay in the rift for those 30 seconds?

Also, this has been discussed MANY MANY times before. Closing the rift always has better returns than clearing the map with tons of elites. Use the search function.

2 Likes

This season, surprisingly I have gotten some of my best drops from Neph runs where I stuck around after getting the keystones and finished the floor (open maps only) and in some cases continued onto the next floor(again if it was an open map).

Last night I had a perfect Primal Tal’s Ammy drop in a Neph, (Int, Socket, CH, CD, - Int to be rolled into %Cold)

Had I not stayed to finish the floor I was on, never would have dropped… mind you it came out of a barrel…

1 Like

I’m a firm believer that all leechers should be passive and never close or start anything.
Asking questions is fine of course.

Also the leecher telling the heavy lifter what to do is the height of a control freak unleashed in the game.

Did you guys miss the part where the OP is power-levelling someone? There’s literally no point what-so-ever of the person providing the power level staying in the rift if the person they’re supposed to be boosting is sat in town, having initiated the closing of the rift, as they won’t get any XP / levels from the remaining 30 seconds of kills. Just give a short “speech” before you start like…

When we zone in, stay at the start. Do not run around the map as you get no XP whilst you’re dead and none of the pre-70 loot matters. I’ll tell you when to teleport to me (map level change / boss dies). If I say “Don’t close” it means I’ll clear that map level, even after the boss dies.

If they don’t follow the instructions, teleport back to town, wish them well with their 1-70 journey and leave them to it.

4 Likes

No, I have no issues with someone deciding they are done with being leveled. If I am doing that, I am not running Rifts for loot or myself. I’ll get a key or two, probably, but wow… not the end goal for a level session.

1 Like

As far as i know the drops in the game, being it from items or monsters or anywhere, are not present beforehand. It’s only after your interaction in the game that the algorithm decides what is going to drop - if anything is going to drop. So the amulet wasn’t lying there waiting for you.

1 Like

That is true, however my main point being, had I left the game when the guardian died… would not have gotten the amulet.

Back a few years I convinced a friend to finish Nephalem Rifts till the end. I opened first and we found a goblin squad at the end, then he opened the NR and another goblin squad by the middle of it. I donno about him but I get an upgrade from those two runs I believe. If you’re going for the loot, finishing Neph Rifts 'till the end is great but when your purpose is leveling you should excuse people if they want to grab keys and get out.

I power level players often enough to understand that not everyone will have a complete understanding of the game. Therefore, I assume responsibility to lay out simple instructions to whoever I’m helping. The level of instructions needed become fairly evident if you take a quick peek at their profile to determine whether they’re an old-hand or a noob.

And there’s a really simple solution as well. If you’re established and have a good stash of shards, make a level 1 Crusader and gamble for cowsticks (Bovine Bardiches). If you’re someone who levels up people often, it’s good to have a few on-hand.

Two cow levels and a small part of a Neph rift later, you’re done. Tight clusters and plentiful mobs, 2 experience pools, highly efficient. And far superior than crawling through a sparse T6 spaghetti maze!

Just remember to tell the person you help not to move off the entrance to the cow level until you’re done and that you’ll have to remake the game to cast the 2nd cow portal.

1 Like