Letter to Activision/Blizzard Inc

Dated and mailed: 25 June 2021

Activision/Blizzard Inc.
Attn: J. Allen Brack, President, Blizzard Entertainment
3100 Ocean Park Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90405

Re: Blizzard failure to fix log in problem with Diablo 2 and D2/LOD on USWest

Dear Mr. Brack:

I am writing to you via US postal mail because the tech support at Blizzard has failed to fix a log in problem on the USWest servers for Diablo 2 and Diablo 2/ Lord of Destruction.

I have been playing this game since Summer 2001, which is when the Lord of Destruction add-on to Diablo 2 was released.

There is currently a major problem on the USWest servers. Tech support does nothing. Neither do Game Masters. This issue has been happening since at least mid-April 2021. Many people are not able to log in to Battle.net due to what appears to be a hardware problem, but could be a software problem. Because this has been reported by many users, this should have been investigated and fixed ASAP. Thus far, nothing effective has been done to fix the problem. Therefore, I believe this needs to be escalated to the level where it gets fixed.

There is no way to identify the problem by users, but this appears to be similar to a log in problem I experienced with another large web site in the mid-2000s. The intermittent problem I ran into was frustrating until the problem was identified and fixed. I would try to log in—and it would sometimes hang at that point. Try again, and it might go through. Other people also experienced this same problem, so I reported it to the appropriate group at the business. We got lucky, because the person working on the problem also experienced the identical problem when she tried to log in. They traced the problem to a failed port on one of their servers. They fixed it and the problem went away. The USWest login server appears to be having a similar issue, as people hang at either “Connecting to the fastest server” or “Checking Versions”.

This needs to be resolved because the same issue could happen with any server run by your organization. People can understand a few days to identify and fix a problem, but taking two to three-plus months is asking for the kind of trouble no business wants to experience.

People will get very unhappy with the company—and will spend their money on games made by other companies.

Hopefully, this gets resolved soon and online play can once again be a fun experience.