Lag the last 2-3 day?

Anyone else getting really bad lag spikes the last few days? I normally play with about 60ms and the last few days I’ve had random intermittent spikes from 300-1200ms. They don’t last long but long enough to get me killed and regular enough to make me quit for the day when they don’t go away.

Just wondering if its just me or if anyone else is experiencing this

3 Likes

Not seeing a group of reports about this so not likely widespread. Your internet connection is like a massive network of roads. Different paths to each destination and any can have construction, accidents, etc.

This thread in Tech Support is a great place to start. Common Connection and Latency Issues

The most helpful diagnostic is usually a WinMTR once you have done the basics Blizzard Support - Running WinMTR

And here is my personal list of connection checking stuff!

There are quite a few things you can do to troubleshoot. Try them one at a time and note the results:

-Power cycle your home network and PC. Yes, this is simple but a reboot fixes many things! Blizzard Support - Power Cycling Your Network Devices

-Double check that all your cables are securely plugged in. They can come loose when you least expect it. (Kids, pets, random tripping over wires)

-If you are on wireless try connecting directly to the router via Ethernet cable. If that works then you know it is your wireless connection or interference with it.

-Try connecting directly to the modem instead of the router if yours is separate. If that works you know you have a router issue.

-Try running the game in selective startup mode so that all other software is disabled (note antivirus will be off). Blizzard Support - Closing Background Applications If that works then you know some other software on your machine is causing the issue. The most common software issue is security software and overlays. MS updates can play havoc sometimes as well.

-Consider updating your network card drivers and router firmware. I had to update both to fix my own DC issue.

-Do you share a connection where others are streaming or downloading things? That can sometimes cause issues.

-Look for issues with the ISP and connection route. A WinMTR test will give a much better view of a gaming session than the snapshot pathping/tracert Blizzard Support - Running WinMTR Run this for around 10 mins when you are having issues.

NOTE – When the test reaches Blizzard’s servers it will show as 100% packet loss or full timeout. This is due to security masking preventing the servers from responding. This is normal.

-Some people find that a DNS flush helps for some reason Blizzard Support - IP Release, Renew, and Flush DNS

2 Likes