Ladder reset char

Out of interest which char do you all create at the start of a ladder to get you going and why?

Im starting with a Fireball/Meteor Soso. Think Firebolt in Norm, Frost Orb (Restat) in Nightmare and at Akara Hell to Fire only.

Purpose of the build is to do Keyruns +Andy. Keyruns work good with fire and Andyruns work insanely good :slight_smile:

Because Nihla will take good gear and some items don´t drop from Andy i think it will be like this:

• Till I get Stormshield and Natures Peace:
    Countess, Horazon and Andy

• With Full Gear or near Full Gear
    Nihla and Mephisto till my Des Keys sum up with the rest.

I think keyrun-Char is a good start, since it´s a safe way to get tradeables. Especcially Countess will enable you to build Hoto, Forty etc. on your own.

Nice are there any areas you struggle to clear when progressing through to hell? I have never built a fire sorc so may give it a shot :slightly_smiling_face:

Blizz sorc to farm hell andy/meph and ancient tunnels day one.

3 Likes

Fire Immunes are quite common. So I´ll stay at Frostorb + Static till im through to hell and around lvl 80. Merc will kill the rest as soon as you build Obedience and Treachery (which both are cheap). I chose this char solely for doing Keyruns and a little MF. If youre main purpose is Mephi, Blizzard is the faster way to kill him like Buds said.

But for example most minions of the countess are Cold immune (and all minions around Nihla) so for Keyruns Cold is not my favourite option. It alle depends on what you want to do.

If I’m on a 7/8 man team I run what the team needs.

We all get plvl’s on 2nd third day with our main.

If I was going solo it would be a sorc usually, that would easily level others later.

Fireball/frozen orb sorc starting out. Respec to blizzard after reaching hell.

1 Like

Pally (Zealot) FTW! Max block

I normally make Blizz/Gspike sorc early for the crowd-control and to moat farm Meph. Makes for easy hell Meph kills that you can stack MF on so you can’t really go wrong. I’ve done that over a dozen times but I think this time I’m going to make a Hammerdin to start this final retro ladder reset. Paladin’s are way tankier then sorcs with easy max block plus higher resistances and hammers don’t really need to worry about immunes. Charge around for the most part and a tele staff on swap for long routes. I’ll save my Blizz for D2R lol.

When is der resette ?
Necro Summoner here As first character

If I play this ladder I’ll publicly level a ww barbarian to the mid 90s with other legit public players then quit when everyone goes to private games. I’ll then spend my time backpacking all summer and fall. Hopefully, they fix the current Checking Version on West. If they don’t I won’t be playing.

1 Like

Necro Full Curser. Everyone needs that super cool sup char at the very start, so it is fun to play.

Most boring char to start with = sorc

Starting on classic this time as a barbarian.

I play hardcore, so this may be different than others. I also just play self-found, I don’t buy gear or take free gear.

Barbarian imo is the best way to start. Boosting BO first, then sticking with concentrate. You build him to run NM Countess without needing to farm anything prior to her. Then I just do several Tower runs, which includes killing monsters, popping chests, etc along the way to her. Not just bee-lining to her. NM Tower + Countess is great for building up a stock of lower runes for those key starter words – Insight, Spirit, Lore, etc. Tower is great because that’s roughly when four-socket items start to drop too, as well as consistent drops of things like flawless gems.

Concentrate/BO barb has great survivability, even if a little dull. You can put one point into each of the one-handed weap styles too, so you don’t have to worry about gear. As well he makes a great character to eventually transition into running Hell Tower + Countess, where you can start accruing some serious quality runes. Berserk backing up concentrate works well. You can also then respec him if you find proper gear for WW or something else.

Once you have that starting stash of Spirit/Insight/etc you can make virtually any of the mainstream builds, esp MF builds.

1 Like

Do you use the Spirit on your Con barb?

Not typically, unless I have several. Generally I’m just running with whatever highest damage weapon I can find.

That makes sense. I’m a fellow hc barbarian player, I though either go Frenzy or ww at the start. I similarly farm Countess but in Normal to get my 2 Stealth armours for my barb. Anyway, I enjoy reading some of your comments, they remind me of myself, but miles above me is modesty.

2 Likes

I love the fireball sorc start.
All characters are a bit weak at first but all scale with damage and hp from start so they are all equal.

Really good thread do any of you use a discord or anything to chat about diablo and strategies? I end up mostly watching YouTube vids but they are builds based on elite gear.

https://discord.gg/fHJfSHB

they all mostly just play hardcore, but can give really solid advice and how to make a build work without elite gear and what to farm to get the gear.