Keep getting 1016 error

I’m running into this as well, and when I do a traceroute, i have one hop in the list that’s very strange. I’m in Austin, TX, and I connect to the Americas region.

But, hop 11 in my traceroute is to 137.221.65.122, which is a Blizzard server that, from what I can tell, seems to be in the Netherlands:

Hop 11 - 137.221.65.122 [ AVG: 673.8 MIN: 61.5 MAX: 1715.6 JITT: 669.0 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 664 ]

Why on earth is traffic for the US region, from a US address, being routed through Europe? Notice how high the round trip times are for that hop? I suspect that jump is the root of the issue (at least in my case).

Here’s the full route to 24.105.30.129:

Hop 1 - 192.168.7.1 [ AVG: 10.1 MIN: 1.3 MAX: 186.4 JITT: 7.9 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 771 ]
Hop 2 - 24.28.0.1 [ AVG: 42.4 MIN: 12.0 MAX: 370.3 JITT: 36.4 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 770 ]
Hop 3 - 66.68.1.177 [ AVG: 107.5 MIN: 19.3 MAX: 867.6 JITT: 122.2 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 770 ]
Hop 4 - 24.175.42.114 [ AVG: 40.3 MIN: 9.8 MAX: 265.5 JITT: 35.2 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 770 ]
Hop 5 - 24.175.41.46 [ AVG: 50.0 MIN: 19.3 MAX: 297.5 JITT: 36.3 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 770 ]
Hop 6 - 66.109.6.88 [ AVG: 48.9 MIN: 16.0 MAX: 313.8 JITT: 37.1 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 770 ]
Hop 7 - 66.109.5.121 [ AVG: 50.2 MIN: 17.5 MAX: 309.0 JITT: 40.2 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
Hop 8 - 66.109.9.151 [ AVG: 51.9 MIN: 17.3 MAX: 329.8 JITT: 41.7 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
Hop 9 - 137.221.74.35 [ AVG: 86.3 MIN: 47.6 MAX: 437.6 JITT: 43.3 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
Hop 10 - 137.221.65.67 [ AVG: 87.9 MIN: 47.2 MAX: 412.5 JITT: 44.8 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
Hop 11 - 137.221.65.122 [ AVG: 678.0 MIN: 61.5 MAX: 1715.6 JITT: 670.0 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
Hop 12 - * [ AVG: 0.0 MIN: 0.0 MAX: 0.0 JITT: 0.0 LOSS: 100.0% COUNT: 0 ]
Hop 13 - 137.221.68.81 [ AVG: 85.8 MIN: 49.1 MAX: 353.1 JITT: 39.9 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
Hop 14 - 137.221.66.7 [ AVG: 83.7 MIN: 48.6 MAX: 433.5 JITT: 38.4 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
Hop 15 - 24.105.30.129 [ AVG: 83.5 MIN: 46.5 MAX: 391.0 JITT: 38.0 LOSS: 0.0% COUNT: 769 ]
1 Like

I’ve been consistently having this problem since the release of the Patch Update for Season 22. I’ve done every troubleshooting step possible, including winMTR testing and a variety of other things (disable ipv6, dump dns, refreshing ip, disabling / re-enabling firewall bypass for BNet and D3) and much more. I even changed my password and released / renewed my authenticator…I don’t know what else to do and so far, the only blue posts I’ve seen were just to tell people to run winMTR test and post their results and not once have I seen a blue response to anyone’s test results that were posted. After doing some research, I’ve calculated from all of the threads dating back to 10/06/2020 (just shy of 2 months ago) there’s been a total of 378 individual players in the US struggling with this problem, and 293 that I was able to find on the EU forums, that have had this same issue. Just since the drop of S22 Patch, there’s been around 290 US cases of Error 45 and Error 1016 (both generic disconnect errors) from what I’ve gathered.

I have no clue what else to do, and I am fed up with the toxic community in WoW (not to mention Shadowlands sucks) so…Diablo 3 with the addition of the 4th cube slot has truly been my biggest interest during this quarantine fiasco. I am hoping that Blizzard pulls through and starts taking this issue seriously, because I’m quite certain that a lack of resolution for this matter and further sweeping it under the rug as it seems they’ve been doing, will lead to a huge loss of player-base. A few times that I have managed to get into the game and linger around in menus or do some rifts, I’ve hit up general chat and asked about Error 1016 and Error 45 and at least 30 people flooded me with private messages and in Gen chat, responding to this problem asking if I’ve found a solution or gotten any type of information from Blizzard in regards to a troubleshoot or an investigation pending with the matter at hand. Again as I said, NO RESPONSE from Blizzard whatsoever…I’m going to open a ticket immediately after typing this :slight_smile: Please feel free to add me to your friends list @ Conjuring#11624 I would love to keep in touch with you, in hopes that one of the two of us finds a permanent solution outside of uninstalling the game and never looking back! ROFL!!!

#WishingYouLuckMyFriend

2 Likes

I’m playing HC and I’m on the same internet connection with my computer and Laptop. On the laptop I got the error 3 times. In one rift that I was doing. Where on the computer it keeps playing.

I’m playing both at the same time. Because I have 2 accounts and I’m leveling characters.

So this happening all over the place. I have had this error maybe you could count on one hand in 8 years. Plus this all started after the new patch and season 22.

So you want US to contact our internet provider. Tell them hey I’m having a problem with a disconnect to game server. But I’m playing the game on my Laptop & Computer at the same time. But my Laptop is the only one having the problem??? More likely they would start laughing and hangup on me!!!

1 Like

It seems a bit absurd that everyone around the world connecting to the server is having the same issue. I doubt that everyone’s ISP around the world are having that problem. Blizzard. How about you check with your server’s ISP?

3 Likes

re: ISP.
Been there… and they’ve bent me over and DONE ME.
It’s NOT them, it’s ME! I’m the 1 screwed.
HOW bout. Blizzard / Lack-0-Vision give U.S., some real tips… how about THEY post a video on YouTube on how to: “Spend your free-time diagnosing your connection” and all this stuff they recommend, before WE GET TICKED OFF and ‘stop’ chasing rainbow gobbies!
I’m gonna kick off my red wings now. I’ve earned 'em!

(NOTE: While writing this post, my wife got kicked off HER laptop/ game, as she got her 2nd PRIMAL drip (intentional), she’s NOT happy! Instead of attempting to play w/ her, I was busy, complaining about the same old issue(s) :wink: ) NICE!

I cannot stress enough how absolutely frustrating this crap is. Blizzard is showing their true colors, like a male peacock trying to pose for a mate. WE SEE YOU BLIZZARD…As I stated in a comment on another post regarding this exact same matter, HUNDREDS of people around the world, possibly even thousands…are affected by this. I was able to calculate yesterday on 9 threads, there was a total of 369 individual players from the US dealing with this. Some of the posts have since been removed by blizzard…and that in itself is a red flag / sign of a cover-up.

WE DESERVE, AT THE VERY LEAST, COMPENSATION IN SOME MANNER OF SPEAKING. Everyone affected by this deserves to have their time compensated, especially when the only thing anyone of us have been given in terms of “A SOLUTION” is reassurance that they’re “investigating the matter” and we should contact our ISP / Troubleshoot our connection / pc.

Met my wife, playing Blizzards World of Warcraft. We have NOW, 4 fully paid upgraded accounts, 2 w/ Shadowlands. 2 with 6 month subscriptions. My 3 oldest son and I are ‘still’ on a ‘linked’ account, as we have been since he was 10. He’s now 22. Blizzard, try compensating my wife and I for lost ‘us’ time as we have looked to YOU for entertainment and enjoyment if NOT fulfilment. It’s NOT about being able to play your games. It’s about what HAS BEEN ‘our life’. WE are being deprived of OUR LIFE’s enjoyment. Time with our kids. Time w/ our spouse… OR… glass half full/ half empty argument. WE are communicating, our experiences w/ your games… while playing them, at NO cost. Just, keep U.S. in YOUR prayers and ‘keep U.S. informed’. I’ll shut up now. Thanks

1 Like

Absolute perfection. This right here, is exactly how I feel about my gaming experience. I truly hope this is resolved!!! I hope that you and your loved ones are able to get back to a semi state of normalcy amidst these crazy times.

1 Like

Guys we are wasting are time here. I have many people in my clan that are having the problem & me too. I have people from Canada, Brazil, & USA that are getting disconnected all the time.

After the patch and season 22 we now have all these disconnects that we didn’t have before. What after the patch we now have a bad internet system all over the world. Just remember like in the past one day it will all go away. Plus Blizzard is never say they are at fault.

I love that as I am readying this thread for new information a pop up box show up and says “we see you are enjoying this thread”… I’m not enjoying it, I’m looking for information on how to solve the damn problem. This is a Blizzard issue. I spent an hour on the phone with my isp and we can find no issues. My family is a family of nerds. We have 3 towers, 3 laptops, 2 ps4’s, 2 tablets, and multiple phones online at any given time here. THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS AN ISSUE IS DIABLO 3!!! Nothing else we do from gaming to netflix to browsing social media has any issues. It started when Battlenet downloaded the update for Season 22. With this being such a big issue could we not just roll back the launcher to pre Season 22 when none of the people in these threads had issues??? Would that be so hard??? I can tell you exactly when my game is going to crash. Any time between 6pm MDT - 12am MDT. Other than that I can play ok. But I have a full time job to support my family so my main play time is during that above time. Come Blizzard… we all paid to play this game.

1 Like

I am having what seems to be the same problem. I have found that if I disconnect from all chats and communities I am able to play. It’s very strange that it shows us the “what’s new” page.

Fix your game blizzard … I’m going to stop playing hardcore until this issue is fix , and once this is fix please boost drop rate on ancient and primal in hardcore for a month this would help people who have gotten their character killed happy

Gamers, have ALMOST always, “Isolated, alone, if together”… lol WE got THIS!

fyi… UPDATE: “STILL” having the issue… BUT… GET THIS… Blizzard support, w/o a ticket… ‘CALLED ME’! We discussed the issue and I opined it "was nice to know, somebody is there and listening to U.S… I told the nice person, I’d leave a “GOOD comment” here, as I was atleast pleased they were attempting to ‘investigate’ and make such calls. It was TOTALLY un-expected, and pleasant. HOWEVER, doesn’t seem to have accomplished much as of yet. Wife and I have both, been disconnect… NEVER at the same time, on the same wifi. I even reported to Blizzard that day before yesterday. I reformatted my Dell G5 15 5590 BOTH drives and ‘re-installed’ my system using the Dell OS Recovery. Previously, I had done a “FRESH aka Clean install” of windows (to remove bloatware) when I 1st purchased the laptop after I upgraded it. So, for those interested to know. IT did NOT fix the issues. Spectrum and I spent over an hour, insuring THEY we’re NOT the issue. Wifi has been troubleshot and NEVER moved, although I did try it elsewhere and without my eero. Pulled the cords. Tested the cords. FLUSHED AND WIPED the dns and all the tcp/ip blah blah blah… been there done and tried it ALL… Re-started the system, after deleting Battle.net and D3. Plugged INTO eero and w/o using wifi adapter instead of ethernet. Disable the v6, tried designated address(s). YOU name. I’ve tried it… NOT saying there’s something I may not have… but, I’m ‘still’ looking. 1 thing left to try, is… DIRECT CONNECT TO router. 1 thing left in season journey is 1 hour of “Speed Racer” for wife and I, unless we do the Gear of War conquest. Good luck ALL. SEE you in Sanctuary! (if I don’t dc)

These issues are absurd … i’m so fed up with it. I already cancelled my WoW sub because shadowlands absolutely sucks so im not giving any of my money to blizzard until some Shee-it starts to change…they don’t show any desire to fix problems and definitely don’t seem to care about their customers.

This error all of a sudden popped up for me today. Have been playing swimmingly for weeks, now getting error 1016. Tried the troubleshooting steps listed (the equivalent of turn it off and on again) without success. After the flush, release and renew it stayed connected for one rift. After that, I tried to open inventory and it crashed and spat out error 1016. Shrug.

1 Like

4 what it’s worth. Blizzard called ME! w/o a ticket, to discuss the 1016 errors. I’m wondering IF… Urlmon.dll is an issue w/ D3 @ this time.

Same issues, again. Played last night for several hours. Tonight, 1016 errors constantly. Played to para 1K+ this season without issue…now boom…constant 1016’s

yes i have it two from couple of day and i don’t know what to do

i have the same problem whit this error 1016 and i make all this step and nothing evrething is the same the problem is have it.

Step 1

• Close Diablo 3
  • Search for “Command Prompt” by typing it in the Start menu. Right-click the first entry which will pop up as a search result and select the “Run as administrator”.
  • Type in: ipconfig/flushdns press enter
  • Type in: ipconfig/release press enter
  • Type in: ipconfig/release6 press enter
  • Type in: ipconfig/renew press enter
  • Open Diablo 3

Check if the Diablo 3 error code 1016 issue still occurs.

Step2 Disable IPV6

• Use the Windows + R key combination to bring up the Run dialog box.
  • Type “ncpa.cpl” in the bar and tap OK in order to open the Internet Connection settings item in Control Panel.
  • Double-click on your active Network Adapter.
  • click Properties and locate the Internet Protocol Version 6 entry on the list. Disable the check box next to this entry and click OK.
  • Restart your computer.

Step 3

• Right-click the game’s shortcut on Desktop and choose Properties from the menu.
  • Navigate to the Compatibility tab in the Properties window and check the box next to the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option.
  • Choose Windows 7 from the menu.
  • On the Settings section in the same window, check the box next to the “Run this program as an .
  • Apply the changes then restart the game.

Step 4

Windows Defender

• Click the Windows button and in the search bar type “Windows defender”.
  • Open the application named “Windows Defender Security Center”.
  • Select the option “Virus and threat protection”.
  • Go to Virus and Threat Protection Settings. Windows may prompt you to allow an administrator access to use this feature. If so, press Yes.
  • Search the window which says “Add or remove exclusions”. Click it and you will be navigated to a menu where you can add exclusions. You will need to exclude the whole Steam folder which is located in the directory you downloaded it.
  • Click on the option which says “Exclude a folder” and navigate to your Diablo 3 directory. Once you reach the location select the folder and save changes.

Step 5
Uninstall then reinstall Diablo 3

If the above steps fails to fix the problem then you should try to uninstall then reinstall the game. To uninstall the game go to the Blizzard Battle.net desktop app, select the icon for the game you want to uninstall then select Uninstall Game. Restart your computer then install the game again by selecting Install from the appropriate game tab of the Blizzard Battle.net desktop app.

and nothing. I dont know what to do enymore so pls help to fixed this