July 13 - D2:R News: Technical Alpha Learnings

I’m pretty sure it was during the Deep Dive with Mr llama that they stated about being able to search previous difficulty, and talked about players having to switch to a lower difficulty character to search before.

I think your right but you can also change your difficulty on d3 have they said there is going to be d2 lobby system? I cant find anything stating it directly

1 Like

30:53 multiplayer talk: Browsing server games, difficulty, chats, etc.

3 Likes

another question. In Multiplayer all your minions, merc and party members generally go along the top of the screen. Screen shots at announcement of D2R showed it going down left side. Is this customizable? Can I have Party going across top, and Merc in left corner and Minions going down the side? That would be awesome for me to visually keep track of my minions separate to my party.

3 Likes

Please release another blog post in the future that talks about things such as the Cow King death penalty, Diablo clone, the Switch version capabilities, and the D2R classic shared stash as well as the other popular thread topics. I like what I see so far though, but we need those meaty details.

6 Likes

Pretty happy about what I see! I love the extra shared stash tabs. I also love the change where the character does not appear until the map has loaded. You have no idea how many times a loading screen has killed me…

The thing that is missing is commentary on D2 Classic (non-expansion mode, to be clear). One of the major issues is lack of support for QoL features for D2R Classic players. This has been repeatedly posted on the forums.

PLEASE read through some of these threads and implement QoL for Classic gameplay in D2R. The “keep it the same for Classic” mentality is based on a huge misconception about the Classic player base. Please don’t exclude us!

[Classic] What is D2 Classic?

[Classic] The Shared Stash

9 Likes

Yep. This game looks almost complete. It will not be complete until Classic (non expansion) gets the QoL options as well.

Please do not release an incomplete game.

7 Likes

Thank god your right i just truly hate d3 match making the multiplayer is garbage i always end up in an empty game and d2 you could always find games and people to play with that had the same goals as you it just made it fun to always find people to play with it was great childhood memories im just being idk loved d2 and d3 is fun but it doesnt feel like diablo but ill quit thanks for making me feel better about it though lol

Regarding the blog, some clarity on how many characters will be available to online players would be helpful.

For future points, the SP community would love to know if ladder runewords will be accessible offline without modding. It would be nice to be able to try DClone & Ubers, but you take what you can get.

4 Likes

Stacking please for potions, gems, runes, etc. Thank you.

9 Likes

I just realized I never left feedback myself. I guess better late than never.

Arts and Visuals
Lightning - Looks whiter, thicker and more real. Thank you for that change. I was getting the literal ‘blues’ before this change.

Blizzard Skill animation - Thank you for the angled and better looking raindown effect. Much better!

Holy Freeze visual change - Basically a cold nova that comes out when the freeze happens? I flipped through the three pictures and it almost looks the same size, but is slightly different sized in each picture. I like the visual idea, but I can maybe see possibly an issue with this cluttering the screen, especially if there are multiple players with holy freeze mercs…

Monster targets - Changing it to the blue color is welcomed and true to the original, thank you.

Animation Updates
Mana & Health globes - Thank you for changing it so the globes are truer to the actual health levels. Goodbye laggy health/mana globes!

Item Colors:
Potions - Look at the metallic rings on the health potions from the original game versus the updated ones. I think these rings need to be more reflective and brighter, like the original ones.

Gems - A bit lacking on the shiny sparkly highlight bling bling compared to the original, but still OK.

Skulls - Post alpha change is better, now easier to differentiate between flawless and normal skulls.

Shown items - All of them look good to me, even the upscaled originals.

User Interface Settings
Item names toggle - Personally I’ll stick with showing items on ground with a keypress, I’m sure plenty will like this feature. Having the option is always a plus.

Shared Stash - Hey, I was anticipating 1 tab, POSSIBLY a game gold buy option to get up to two additional tabs. But hey, I’ll take 3 tabs from the get-go. Thank you!

Compare tooltip toggle - Again, having the option is always a plus, bravo!

Map Settings options - Options, options, options! I love it! I feel like I’m playing Gradius with all of these options!!.. Wait, nevermind.

Misc Updates
Clock added - Well, I’ve had a 2nd monitor for a while now, I can always look at it for the time. But hey, not everyone has a 2nd monitor, so yeah, it’s about time! Thank you!

Loading screen vulnerability - Very important, well done! No one wants to click Duriels entrance, see the loading screen and then a screen telling them their deeds will be remembered.

Audio change - Good move. I felt that the new grunts that were added weren’t in line with the originals

Now… About that Cow level… The Cow King… You know what I’m talking about… Can we get that change please? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I really enjoyed this small update. I loved to read and watch lots of welcome changes. Cool mindset by the Diablo teams. Here are my rather specific comments :

Loading time

Great news that it will be improved. I wonder though how the loading time will work when:
  • Both areas are crowded, which is the case in the forgotten towers, at Duriel, occasionally or a3 Temples, (or “staged” Tristam and Summoner reds tps).
  • Whether or not the player loading the content will still interact in multiplayer games

Furthermore, just like watching a movie with a loading logo between scenes would not look right in my opinion. I think the loading image could be avoided as an option. In isometric view, the Gates opening animation is out of context. Simply fade-in/fade-out or a transition for example would be nice to have too. It can simply be an option to keep the immersion authentic, especially for people new to the game.

Gothic loading gates make little sense in the far Oasis :wink:

Gems

I am glad the teams seek feedback on that one. For me there are 2 problems with the gems :

https://i.ibb.co/Zx8TP81/D2-R-gemsupdate.jpg

• The new gems lack contrast. A black background would give a higher range of tones from the darkest reds to white. It’s how jewelers increase the radiance. ( You could place a black background invisible to the camera but still casting diffuse and reflection to the gem) ; to allows the light a surface that would give contrast and depth to the gem just like in the original.
  • The second reason are refractions (like in prisms or water reflections in the pool). Because refraction separates white light into its rainbow colors, the old gems are rendered with refractions called “caustics” in physical rendering softwares. This is what make the original gems more natural looking.
    If you look closely, there are very subtle sparkles of green, yellow and blue in the original rubies. There can be small amounts of other minerals in expensive gems, giving them a natural and specific signature.

Caustics have many parameters that allow to accentuate the effects, radius and color hues to the desired liking. They require heavy processing and are usually avoided for games, but this would be harmless since they are baked jpgs : )
Only after, perhaps the gems could benefit from lights positioned on the sides or behind to get more sparkle.

Non mentioned topic : Desktop Graphic identity

Back in the days, playing games used to start at the purchase of the cd boxes and while installing it. With the dematerialization of games, it would then be cool at least to keep handcrafted graphic identity :

https://i.ibb.co/MDB2FQY/D2-R-launchers-installers-update.jpg

• In the 90’s and 00’s, many games used to have graphically customized and immersive .exe Launchers. I understand a launcher is meant to share news about other games, but It would be cool at least to have a Diablo graphic identity, layer and buttons in its own tab. The current tabs look too corporate.
  • Updates were seen though the prism of Sanctuary. Even updates tried to be immersive :wink:
  • Originally, and very specifically, this installation image starts with the cymbals of the track “Hell” https://youtu.be/YgdkkG2Jl5w?t=68 - And stops after 6 seconds. It sets the mood. So some audio could be nice to have as well.

It’s always a pleasure to share general thoughts as well as some specific details. I hope it helps. I like the coherence of the choices. Thank you for the sharing.

3 Likes

I’d rather have 3 shared and 1 normal than 3 normal and 1 shared myself. More items I can access at any given time without having to have a muling session.

3 Likes

I agree with this. Any other space issue is better served with more character slots. I would absolutely hate 3 slots on each char and 1 shared.

2 Likes

When I was playing Plugy, I did just that, put everything under personal on my MF character. 1 week later, reorganized to put everything under shared since it was so much more convenient to access at any given time rather than constantly moving from shared to a specific character inventory and I was keeping more stuff for collector’s sake in plugy than I ever did on bnet.

I really believe people are seriously underestimate the amount of space they are giving us. Peanuts compared to SP Plugy, but a goldmine for bnet play. It is unlikely to have a legitimate grail on bnet. Now, I will give people wanting to ensure we have enough character space for those that plan to play hardcore and softcore ladder on both LoD and Classic, as well as softcore non ladder duelers. Average person is probably not going to be playing that many modes, nor non ladder unless they ungate the ladder only.

1 Like

Now something that is also interesting, is that the clock and loot toggle were not necessarily Alpha related, but two things that Blizzard specifically surveyed on. Shared Stash was also surveyed iirc, but that is a general anyways considering the Alpha had the 1 when we did see up to 3 during Blizzcon.

Can’t wait to see the rest, though I’m not expecting too much extraordinary at this point. I figure by end of month for that more detailed blog, with an exact Beta date which I would think to be early August, as they will want as much time as possible to smooth out anything that comes up before Sept 23rd for launch.

1 Like

The new potion art is much better!

As others have said, the suitability of the stash tab additions are still a question mark until we know how many characters we can have.

I would really like to get some kind of Holy Grail tracker in-game. This could be a list of every item, and each would be marked as complete once achieved (ie has this character ever picked up this item, even if it has since been sold?). Ideally it could let you show all, show only achieved, and show not achieved. Maybe an overall %. There are some good checklists out there that let you manually mark an item as picked up and have that reflected in an overall percentage, but doing this in-game would mean they could be tracked automatically.

Also, some of us do occasionally use a Mac when eg on the road so a mac version would be great at some point. Just like d3.

Overall these QoL changes are brilliant and I can’t wait to try the beta.

7 Likes

I love almost all of the changes.
In the case of the skulls, it looks like the team has prioritized looking like the original graphics over improving the quality. I think the technical alpha skulls look much more polished, although maybe a bit too tan and not enough gray.
I’m split on the rubies. I think the TA chipped and normal have too much white, so I prefer the revised chipped and normal. On the other hand, the revised flawed, flawless, and perfect rubies look like blurrier versions of the TA rubies, so I prefer the TA versions.

Okay, probably in the minority but didn’t the original D2R Blizzard look al lot better & represent the original better too?
Also the animation falling from higher, doesnt that mean the delay is longer?

I alsways though that the orginal effectys were thicker because pixel size, and the new ones in the original D2R were fine. I worry that bny making all the spells “fatter” just going to look more like a cartoon animation.

1 Like

No, the first attempt of the blizzard did not at all look like the original. It did not look as massive and destructive as the original one. I really like the new version of that spell

1 Like