Journal not dropped

Hey everyone,

I don’t know if I can this a bug or not but Hunter’s Journal Part 6 is not dropped by the Ancient Guardian in the Forgotten Ruins after getting Kulle’s Head. I’ve tried to beat him several times and it has not dropped it.

I am assuming you’re playing in Campaign Mode since you mention “getting Kulle’s Head”.

Are you just trying to “Leave Game”, then restarting and returning to that area to kill the Ancient Guardian again? Or are you actually resetting your Quest before restarting?

If the Ancient Guardian is not dropping the Hunter’s Journal Part 6, it’s because you already have it. If you’re trying to earn the Eavesdropper Achievement and don’t have credit for it, you may be missing one or more of the other Parts. (Double-check your Achievements).

Eavesdropper Achievement, Hunter’s Journal

Ancient Guardian (Elite)

1 Like

Thanks for your answer ! Yeah I’m trying to get all of the achievements

You can only beat the Ancient Guardian once during the quest. So what I tried to do is restart the quest when I have to get Kulle’s Head, then kill the Ancient Guardian, but nothing.

When I check my achievements, the only missing book is the Hunter’s Journal Part 6 (it’s not checked). And I tried to get part 1, then 2, etc…
I’m certain it’s the one I don’t have, that’s why I’m posting my issue on this forum.

Would it be possible to post a screenshot of your in-game Journal and the Achievements Window with the Eavesdropper Achievement expanded? See the image below to see where to find them if you need it.

If all else fails, try creating a new Character. They will find all the same Books and Journals in the game, even if you already have the Achievements. You would only have to play through that Quest in Act II. And when you finally get it, you can delete the newly created Character if you don’t want to keep it.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

To post a link to your screenshot:

1. Upload your image to a free image-hosting website, like Imgur.
  2. Paste the “Direct Link” to your image in your post.
  3. Select the link you just pasted and click the </> button on the Reply Editor toolbar.
  4. Click Reply.

Your link will look similar to this: https://i.imgur.com/6PIA4Ul.jpg

Yeah sure, here is the screen.
I think I’ll have to go with the new character and do the quests all over again ^^ !

https://imgur.com/a/Q7S7Cpk

Hmm… I don’t know why you’re not getting it.

Sorry to hear that. But, it shouldn’t take too long. Let’s us know if a new Character is able to get it.

I don’t know if you make game-play videos. But, when you get to the point where you’re just about to get Kulle’s Head, you might want to video capture that. If your new Character gets the Journal, no problem. If not, then you’ll at least have video documentation of it. Upload it to YouTube and post a link to it here. (just like you did with the screenshot).

This will let Blizzard’s QA Team see what’s going on so they can reproduce it. If they can reproduce it, they can fix it.

Whatever you decide to do: Best of luck!

So I created a new character and did all the quests until the important one ! Unfortunately, I haven’t dropped the Hunter’s Journal, Part 6 again…

Here is a YT video showing the issue (https://youtu.be/Z5M8vkL1Jsg)

So I came to the conclusion that this is either a real bug but this doesn’t sound right because I’ve seen people getting the Journal, or all the wikis are wrong and something has changed in the way of getting it and I’m not aware of it.

I’m going to embed that for you:

Watching this video, I see Hunter’s Journal Part 2 drop when you clicked on the Head of Zoltun Kulle, not when you killed the Ancient Guardian. And when you picked it up, it began the narration, but you skipped through it.

I’m beginning to wonder, as you stated, if the Wikis are outdated. If you notice in the image I posted above, I completed the Eavesdropper Achievement back in 2012. That was before Seasons and Adventure Mode.

I play mostly Seasons these days. Which means, I play in Adventure Mode. I often find these Hunter’s Journals when doing Act II Bounties. I’m just not sure about Part 6.

What I do know about these Journals, is they drop in numerical order. That is, Part 6 won’t drop until you have Parts 1 through 5. I bet you could switch your new Character to Adventure Mode, farm all three of the areas of Zoltun Kulle’s Archives: The Unknown Depths, The Realm of Shadow, The Storm Halls and find your missing Hunter’s Journals.

If your new Character finds Parts 3 through 5 and Part 6 still doesn’t drop, go back to The Forgotten Ruins in Campaign Mode and kill the Ancient Guardian again. If you need to, reset the Quest, retrieve Kulle’s Head and kill the Ancient Guardian.

If that doesn’t work, I don’t know what else to tell you.  

1 Like

Hey ! I have some great news ! I finally unlocked the Eavesdropper Achievement !

The first thing I have to say is that all of the different websites about Hunter’s Journal Part 6 are outdated… because I got it after getting Kulle’s last body part during the Black Soulstone quest (in the Realm of Shadow), not by beating the Ancient Guardian during the Betrayer of the Horadrim quest, as it was written everywhere. It quite surprised me to be honest, I didn’t expect the journal to drop there at that moment.
Here are the screens about it : https://imgur.com/a/UCafE7q

Which makes me think… why didn’t I get it the first time during the campaign ? Probably because as you said, you have to get the journals in numerical order (except Part 4 and 5 that can be switched).

I’m so relieved, I can do the achievements of Act III and so on. Thanks for the help and the answers !

Last question : how do you show the screens and not just the links of the screens ? Same thing with the video I posted, how did you embed it ?

1 Like

People with Trust Level 3 can provide clickable hyperlinks to any URL.
People with Trust Level 2 can only provide plain text, non-clickable links.
People with Trust Level 2 can embed YouTube videos.

More info about Trust Levels, how to obtain/maintain them, and what each level of trust enables you to do, can be found in the stickied guide in General Discussion…

1 Like

Congratulations, Thooler!  

Thank you both of you !