Is trading dead for Diablo 4?

Not always.

Casual players that are not aware what they do with trading (in 90% that’s the case) are happier from trading.

Regular players are 50/50 on the issue.

Dedicated players always lose since trading makes their time put in the game irrelevant, but they don’t always understand this, so it’s 50/50 for them too.

Whales of course always benefit from trading.

Competitive players hate it since it destroys the fair competition. If you follow PoE they are now giving real money for in-game competitions, but these are SSF only.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2684989
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2688727

The weapon part is just an example. P2W or not doesn’t matter.

It kinda does in what they are writing about.

I guess you can match people who have bought a bunch of cosmetics, with people who have not, so those people can be like “wauw, I too must pay $30 to make my character look like a Christmas tree!!1”
Still not what the article is saying though.

There is no doubt in my mind, that Blizzard is ONLY adding an MMO overworld to D4, so they can encourage people to buy MTX cosmetics. Those who buy cosmetics mostly do it so they can show off to others. If there are nobody to show off to, that surely creates less of a desire for MTX.

Still, it has very little to do with trading. Trading could be completely off the table, while still having all the MTX Activision can imagine.
Heck, by having no trading at all, you kinda encourage people more to buy MTX, since it gets harder to get cool looking in-game items

1 Like

OW is not p2w in any sense, stop reaching.

The premise was that it leads to a happier playerbase that spends more on MTX. Otherwise your point is just moot.

2 Likes

Yes, the majority of the player base gets happier, just not the WHOLE player base. The player base that spends more real money gets happier from trading.

The article example applied to a non-P2W game like OW means that if player A buys MTX M from store and M is for weapon W, when he plays a session he has a higher chance to be matched in battlegrounds where W is more effective.

This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results.

The more MTX you buy the stronger you would become due to high-rolling the matchmaking system aka LUCK.

It’s not irrelevant, stop burying your head into the sand.

True.

We don’t know how hard that would be - you may not have the D3 case with farming cosmetics.

It’s irrelevant because there is no trade. Your whole terrible arguement is based on the fact that trading is what enables mtx to succeed which is why Blizzard implements it. This is not true.

If your issue is with MTX then that’s another topic. The success of MTX has nothing to do with trading and it has all to do with the game having an active large playerbase. Trading might lead to a more active and happier playerbase and indirectly boost MTX sales but so do many other things. You have correlation at best, but not even close to actual causality.

2 Likes

It has everything to do with trading.

MTX dictates the model of trading in the aRPG.

If you develop X number of trading models, the one boosting the most the MTX model will be chosen.

And there is no need of trading when there aren’t any MTX just as in D3.

It’s not irrelevant because it’s the same principle.

MTX dictates the model of matchmaking in OW.

It is an exact and direct causality.

The marketing model of any online game dictates its design aspects and systems.

There has to be an SSF alternative for these players that don’t enjoy trading.

Just as there are restaurants with both smoking and non-smoking sections.

I won’t comment your other points since you are not reading what is replied to you or you troll.

Sure sure, time to save face and head out.

1 Like

Yes, I don’t have time for trolls.

That’s why I want to have an option to play D4 without trolls aka SSF option.

I haven’t been trolling, you’re the one claiming there is no need for MTX without trade. This is false.

This is the only sensible thing you’ve written in this entire thread.

1 Like

You can have MTX with or without trading. Trading (or any other activity making the whales happier) serves for more MTX income.

Is it really THAT hard to understand this?

I don’t think so. I think you enjoy trolling my friend.

And this is not a problem. I have already covered this. Whales impact is very low, I explained earlier why.

Anything else?

To be clear, there are many things that boost MTX sales. What you’re suggesting with your poor choice of words is that trading is the biggest culprit. This is false. Playerbase and player activity are the actual key points to take. That is why GGG makes the absolute most out of their MTX at the very start of a season when their playerbase is high and active and takes a nosedive later on in the season.

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t. OW sells cosmetic loot boxes. No weapons, no augments, nothing other than cosmetics. Has been that way since the beginning. You can choose to buy loot boxes or not choose. You can earn them in the game for free. But there is nothing in OW that will make you a better player other than playing the game and getting skills, or trying to use cheats, which some do.

That’s it.

That patent was by Activision, and for Activision games. Can you guess which ones???

And today Skelos, you smell like you have been dipped in Troll paste. You should wash that off, it doesn’t become you.

Game on.

1 Like

Yes, I saw this. I tend to read what you (or anyone else not on my ban list) replies to me.

You have no idea here. Whales might be 1% of the player base, but they are the richest 1% that makes the biggest purchases.

In terms of purchases whales form around 15% of the income. And that is a portion you want to enhance.

No. It’s the advantage over other players. Open trading is simply a way to receive such advantage.

If you open a D3 shop now with purchasable paragon and cat pets, guess what will make more money?

These are not in-game systems. We are discussing how in-game systems like trading influence the desire of the player base to spend money.

Is OW an Activision game?

Assuming I’d take your word it, 15% is still low. Do you have any source for that? Besides, they will still buy MTX with or without trading, there are other ingame systems that can make them happy enough to feel compelled to spend on MTX. Your point is a very weak one.

Yes and this is also a weak point for a few reasons. First of all we don’t know if D4 will actually aim to be a competitive game, in any way. Secondly a gear advantage can only take you so far and if you are a dedicated player you will get the gear you need eventually. That is why 3rd party sales never bothered me in D2 because I would get the stuff I wanted anyway.

The only real problem for “competitive” players will be if they implement an endless expgrind. You can never compete against bots simply because there is no end and they can keep increasing their advantage forever. From what I’ve seen so far the loothunt fill be longer than D3 but shorter than D2. but they are unsure of what to do with lvls. This is what you need to focus your energy on if you care about the competitive aspect as much as you claim.

True, but any ingame system that leads to a bigger and more active playerbase will result in more MTX sales. This is not limited to trading.

2 Likes

Not true. Whales would stay in the game only if they don’t have to spend much time to reach the endgame. Trading allows them this.

Yes, of course, but this thread is about trading and the only reason for it to exist (and not be replaced by an advanced AI crafting system) is that the whales would get an advantage through it and spend more on MTX.

I think the community made it pretty clear that it does NOT want endless power increase through grinding. So, I assume if they want to make the community happy they’ll cap it at some point.

I am just advocating for an SSF mode. I don’t care whether the majority of players enjoy scamming and trolling others. I want pure competition through an SSF mode. The idiots can trade between them how much they want.

But if there is some player that does not want to participate in idiotic stuff he has to have the freedom to not trade.

I can go to a real life pub and find idiots there, but I am free to not do it too.

That should be the main principle with trading and/or any other interaction/mechanic serving for artificial drop chances manipulation.

There are whales in Overwatch.

We’ve been over this. Casuals, whales and everything inbetween. They all enjoy trading for various reasons. Most that trade do not engage in 3rd party sales. Your way of wording it is again very weird.

Hopefully.

Relax, there will probably be a SSF.

I don’t follow OW, but I suppose the endgame there is reachable a lot faster than this in aRPGs.

No, they said no SSF in Diablo 4.

They really want to force us into grouping and world map.

At the same time they speak about integrity and stuff…

Every Voice Matters

Great ideas can come from anywhere. Blizzard Entertainment is what it is today because of the voices of our players and of each member of the company. Every employee is encouraged to speak up, listen, be respectful of other opinions, and embrace criticism as just another avenue for great ideas.

https://www.blizzard.com/static/_images/company/about/mission/globally-5.jpg
/This troll is from the same page btw/

No. But you posted that as to say this particular point:

Were applied to OW. It is in fact NOT applied to OW. Just saying.

How do you know this? Are you a Blizzard employee?