Is this the Most Effective Solution to Botting/Cheating?

PF drummer, Nick Mason’s $8 million Ferrari Enzo

And money isn’t the root of all evil, the love of it is.

As Jim Carrey in Bruce Almighty said while sitting in his Saleen S7, “Yeah, it gets me from A to B.” :rofl:

Mason shows up to the track where his car is being test driven in his personal helicopter.

Speaking of dense. You can’t ban what you can’t detect.

Yet they have detected and temporarily banned 100s of thousands of accounts for botting over the years.

Most first time botters are noobular morons who are using free bot programs. The pros, who are much less in numbers, use paid for bot programs and paid VPN services that Blizzard cannot detect.

That can also lead to people destroy perfectly workable hardware just because someone said it’s not usable.

Feels a bit wrong to me.

Also, the advent of GPU manufacturers allowing the change of internal address. Those not doing it are just less valuable, desirable.
Just like you can (could) change your MAC from software.

Yes.

Blockchain is the answer here.

No, I wouldn’t be amazed…
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/12/adderall-new-york-capitalism

The guardian? Really the is a laughing stock of a news outlet lmao. Thank you for the morning laugh. Please tell me you don’t anything there seriously.

I’m meally a news paper from a country that is smaller then a single state in the country your talking about is funny.

It just happened to be the first link I found. There were plenty of others. Would you prefer one from the New York Times…
https://nypost.com/2016/06/15/american-workers-are-a-bunch-of-drug-users/

Wow, the argument about sleep deprivation is still going on? Seriously, a change of subject is in order. Oh hey, how about getting back on track with the original topic?

It’s simple.

We defeat the bots by depriving them of sleep!

LMAO are you even reading these links you are posting. OMG. Do people do drugs? Sure. But it is far from the majority. Also that article pretty much states if you take any doctor ordered drug then you are a drug addict.

The world runs on people that dont sleep alot.

It should be noted that Overwatch, another Blizzard game, already uses hardware UUID bans. Blizzard employed that and it works very well. They ban the entire system. It’s far more effective than a Windows s/n ban because Windows is relatively cheap vs. a brand new machine and outside of the most affluent streamers, few people can afford to buy new machines just to try and cheat again.

The issue here is that Diablo 3’s engine was likely not built for this. It is unclear if such a system can be patched into the game easily, if at all. World of Warcraft is in the same boat. I’d love to see the hardware ban system in place for Shadowlands. It would really help out the economy as WoW has a persistent world and as such is far more susceptible to damage from botters than other games might be.

I’m sure this has come up internally at Blizzard fairly often. It’s a matter of “can it be done” combined with “will we see any return on investment from it?”. Given D3’s ROI is front loaded (players must buy the game before they can play) and there is no subscription model, the fact that D3 reached peak sales years ago means the bean counters are putting everything under a microscope these days.

2 Likes

Ya, that’s pretty unfortunate. The perfect time to implement this would have been the launch of RoS. Although I don’t think this type of ban was in practice back then. Just got to hope, especially with pvp, that D4 will have a robust anti-cheat/bot system.

It would be nice to hear what their plans are for this in one of quarterly updates but then again they might not want to “show their cards”.

I dont agree with this method. If someones wants to buy game 20 times and 20 times get ban and start over I don’t have a problem with that. But I am playing non season btw.

Most important thing is bans need to start happening.

Well if early reports are true there is going to be less of a botting/cheating problem. China is banning online gaming with any foreigners, single player online games will be monitored, and creating guilds within games will be banned.

Blizzard chose to “own the game” instead of other methods.

Meaning this:
Blizzard owns your copy of the game which is your accounts diablo 3.

If caught cheating or for any reason Blizzard can take it away.

You have the option of buying another one.

And Blizzard now makes twice the money.