Is the freeze/lag problems every player has on PC fixed yet?

At this point I wish I could replicate the problem so I could actually come up with a fix. Not that I want my game to freeze every little bit either. lol

I need to setup some sort of online database where I can point everyone both having problems and not having problems to fill out questions on it. Try to find a common thing between people that have the issue and those that don’t. Any suggestions as to where I could set that up? Google docs or something? Basically a questionnaire that can gather specific data for both sides of the issue.

Never mind, working on one in survey monkey right now.

Most likely you are not using a Realtek sound chip set. Everyone that is having the problem is using that chip set.

I recently started a HC Wizard specifically to try the firebird changes. I am still working on the build, but I am wondering if I am just setting myself up for a freeze death?

I’m curious if anyone is having these issues with some of the later Sound Blaster cards… Looking at maybe getting a Sound Blaster Z if no one is having troubles with that card.

i just started having the issue a few days ago. i turned off my sound and so far it hasnt frozen yet.

I have same issues for some days, and it really a headache when you playing, keep freezing for every few minutes. It was find at the beginning of season 23. About 10-15 days after the new season, it started. I had checked everything I can but nothing help. I am running W10 20h2, i5-4570, 24g ram, Sumsang 970 1t onboard ssd. I even replace my other old hhd to ssd. updated 1660 super driver, Mute sound when playing. But nothing help to solve the problem. whatever you use monk, wizard or others, it keep freezing, daily… Can Diablo team solve the problem forever?

And after the game freezing for several times, the game may freeze forever. When this happen, I can not control the whole windows too, only thing I can do is press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart the computer. The task manager windows also froze at the same time. Sometimes the freezing happen as soon as you just enter the game. It happen less when I play solo but happen more often when doing multiplayer game.

Ok, going to post up a thread for this survey. I may have to restart this survey a few times due to its “free” limits. There are two to fill out.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V9GRWTK

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VDYYL7B

See the main thread once its posted in General.

Thanks,

1 Like

The freeze problem does exist. I have even had it happen while in town on act 1 and act 3. It has been manageable so far, but as a solo player, that is due to the hireling changes. This would not be the first time that the upgrades or changes in this program have caused problems with older video cards. (Why I have this 5 year old 6 core, the game would no longer load certain areas due to graphics upgrades). The way this problem is acting, I tend to believe that it is a memory management problem. A memory management problem for video cards that is. I do believe that my AMD R7 250 video card is too outdated now with the upgrades and patches. Not just with Diablo 3 but with Chrome also. The freezes are happening there too.

I don’t think anyone is saying the issue doesn’t exist, just that some were saying it effected everyone, so those of us fortunate to not have the issue were pointing out that it in fact did not effect everyone, although many are effected.

Your issues really sounds like you have other issues going on that may or may not be related to the freezing issue being discussed here, since other programs are effected.

For the record I ran D3 on an i7 920 4 core 12GB RAM and HD6950 2GB (from 2011 so older than your R7 250) from beta/release until about a year ago, and never had issues.

My current 3800X 32GB RAM and RX 5600 XT fortunately also does not have the issue either. For information purposes it does have Realtek Audio ( Realtek® ALC892 Codec 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio) with Driver Version 6.0.8945.1. MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard. So the problem certainly isn’t all Realtek audio it would seem.

Well, a huge majority of players are using some form of Realtek Audio as it is one of the most popular types. And I think it may have something to do with it, but I think its a partial option.

In my survey, it was going to be difficult to questionnaire sound cards in general and they want you to pay for an optional comment box to list a specific card model/version/revision so I left it off for now.

I’m getting some good data and can link both sets of the surveys together per respondent which is nice.

Once I have enough data to start creating a profile of the problem I will be posting it up. So the more of you that respond and do both surveys the better. Thank you to those that have so far and I hope to get more of them in soon.

Game on.

1 Like

Isn’t the problem related to sound and some windows 10 update?

As noted in the other thread, yes.

Well I spoke too soon about managing it. Was running D3 only, nothing in the background and is froze for a bit over 10 second. More like 15 seconds and I lost one. To bad really was doing GR101 on hardcore. I didn’t really have any problems until about a year ago. I even upgraded to 1GB cable internet too. The freezes are random enough, I will give it that much.
Edit: Yes, I have Realtek High Def Audio. The randomness points to infrastructure problems. I may have 1GB cable but I’m in Oklahoma, (the grid pulse is strong here) and the problems haven’t changed really. I don’t dare play hardcore during the day. No way! Been through all the driver updates (have software that tells me when it’s needed). The AMD reports just started to pop back up again so we shall see what happens. But I need a new computer for D4 since the current CPU & motherboard won’t handle it, nor will the graphics card. That is just to think about playing D4 let alone the new D2 upgrade. So I guess I’ll be in the market to upgrade my computer when D4 makes it’s debut. Until then, it really doesn’t take that long to relevel when you always use a back up toon. Strange how Diablo has caused all my computer upgrades. Must be a fan.
Edit: One last edit. Realtek started having problems with the older audio about a year and a half ago. A windows update came down and it took a while to fix the problems. But it does seem like they have resurfaced.

Done. Made a public post about it for discussion to raise awareness. Your turn.

Link?

As for the survey, I will be compiling the results this weekend. Life has been busy, but I have nearly 30 respondents. Anyone that hasn’t yet, please hit those links and fill out both if you can. They are short and won’t take long.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/V9GRWTK

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VDYYL7B

Game on.

Well, I’m running Win 10 20H2, with Core i7 9700K running at 4.2GHz, with a 1TB SSD, 32GB of RAM, and an old but good NVIDIA GTX960 video card.

After never having this problem before, I now get random game freezes that do last from 5 to 7 seconds, and most of the time, everything will just stop. One time, the game came back with my character injured and my lifesaver procced.

Also of note, I’m getting extreme video lag and choppiness in the Core of Arreat, where I only used to get it in the Rakkis Crossing. Maybe a little bit in the Thieves’ Guild sewers.

Now one of my theories is that this is the way Blizzard is handling network disconnects at places other than the direct interface to the computer, for example, when a jump point in the network changes from one system to another. This might be their method of preventing hard disconnects, because I haven’t had any.

So if this freezing is an alternative to hard disconnects, then I’m all for it. I’ve lost too many hard-core characters in a GR100+ to DCs. And when you’re a solo player, looking at ranking up three new gems to rank 100 is a disheartening task.

P. S. Did both of your surveys Ace. Nicely done, by the way.

The link is this thread.

Any updates to this? Been a long time.

The problem almost certainly lies with the FMOD.DLL file. I’m not sure why the FMOD devs haven’t found a fix for this after nearly a year given how much impact it can have on games. Blizzard likely has to wait for a fix for FMOD so they can make the necessary changes to D3’s audio code to work in concert with the new FMOD version.

We’re just going to have to wait until we hear from Blizzard proper regarding this situation. I wouldn’t hold your breath though. It could be quite a while still.

Absolutely has been a while.

Going to aggregate the responses tonight, actually got 2 more in the past couple days. Which is good.

Thanks for being patient, been a bit hectic in the real world for me lately, been gone most days.