Is the Deathwish MIA pre-nerf?

Ok, so I have been fun playing my own version of a LoD Meteor wiz. I was getting some decent equipment, but he was feeling a bit underpowered, so I go looking at some builds, and notice that I am not using one of the main pieces: a Deathwish! I’ve been rocking an ancient In-Geom instead. And I was excited! With that little bump, I thought I might finally be close to having a wizard build that could hang with my WotW Rend Barb or my PoJ TR Monk, or even just my Multishot DH.

And then I also read that the next patch is going to nerf all these pieces because a few morons have sucked all the fun out of the game with “macros” and “bots” for a so-called “bazooka” wizard. DAMMIT! Not all of us are cheaters!

I figured that I could at least have some fun in the next few weeks, so I went hunting for a DeathWish. Now, I haven’t gambled thousands, but I’ve upgraded 50+ swords so far, dozens of rifts and GRs (although I can only handle <90 GR with my current build), plenty of bounties, and not a single DW. Have they maybe removed it from the random drops while they get ready to nerf it???

No. The item pool for swords is just pretty big. And you’ve been unlucky on top of that.

It’s harder to get a specific 1-hand sword than a wand or 1-hand axe, simply because there’s more swords, so you’re less likely to get each one. E.g. you have a 1 in 15 chance to get a Deathwish upgrading swords, compared to a 1 in 9.76 chance to get a Chantodo’s Will upgrading wands or a 1 in 4 chance to get a Messerschmidt’s Reaver upgrading 2-hand axes.

Check here for drop rates for different items (switch it to wizard): https://www.d3planner.com/kadala

You have a 1 in 15 chance of getting a Deathwish when upgrading swords. The chances of going 50+ 1-hand sword upgrades without seeing a Deathwish is about (1 - 1/15)^50 = 3.2%.

So low, but not impossible. You’ve been a unlucky on top of Deathwish being a bit harder to get since it’s a sword.

That was my guess, but the timing just seemed a bit too coincidental…

And yeah, I use d3planner all the time. That’s how I knew that, at the very least, I was beyond normal randomness, and experiencing the pure evil of the f-ing RNG!!! I guess I was just wondering if there could be another reason.

back to the grind, I s’pose… :\