Is Oculus a playble etheral?

During D2 times I loved my frost-fire-sorc.
For style I like the Oculus look in my inventory-screen and want to ask, if there is some kind of frost build playable with it and or Discintegrate chaos nexus. Or at least any build. (Since maxroll always shows the dagger).

I found an Oculus with Echoing Fury and Power Hungry passive with my DH and asked myself, if I could do something with it with a wiz, that essentially is naked right now. xD

So do you have ideas for build I could go or should I just savage it?

Sure. You can play Firebird’s with Oculus and Disintegrate Chaos Nexus.

Take a look at this guide: https://maxroll.gg/guides/firebird-mirror-image-wizard-guide

They discuss the different weapon options. Wizardspike is probably optimal for solo pushing, but all three ethereals are pretty close to equal on wizard. They each have slightly different benefits for different things.

Wizardspike has the fastest boss and elite kills. The Oculus gives you higher toughness and has Arcane Power on Crit, which is very useful for certain builds. Mang Song’s Lesson has the biggest skill multiplier but can only be used for builds that don’t need an off-hand (so basically, just Firebird’s. And maybe a Meteor build if you really wanted to mess around with something off-meta).

Oculus is perfectly viable for Firebird’s w/ Disintegrate. Ideally you’ll want one with either the Deathwish or Orb of Infinite Depth power though. But it’s more than playable for solo speeds with Firebird’s. I still use an Oculus for solo Firebird’s speeds.

Since yours doesn’t have Deathwish or Orb of Infinite Depth, you’ll have to tweak the build a bit. Drop Aughild’s so you can wear Orb of Infinite Depth and cube Deathwish. Something like this: Diablo 3 Build Guides, Tierlists, D3Planner - maxroll.gg

Any other wizard build is a good 10 GRs behind Firebird’s. That doesn’t mean there aren’t viable cold builds, but you probably won’t be making the overall wizard leaderboard with them. Set your expectations accordingly. You can be competitive with cold builds on a number of the set-specific leaderboards though.

Typhon’s Frost Hydra and any of the Frozen Orb builds (I’d recommend LoD FO to someone new to Frozen Orb builds, but DMO FO, Tal’s FO, and Vyr’s FO are also all options) are our strongest cold builds. Typhon’s Hydra really should use a Wizardspike, but Frozen Orb is fine with either Wizardspike or Oculus. Unfortunately for Frozen Orb the Echoing Fury power is not really good though, you’ll want either the Wizardspike power (in this case the legendary power, not the ethereal) or the Unstable Scepter power. Any other power severely limits the potential of Frozen Orb, as both those weapons are worth 10-15 GRs each.

1 Like

Thx for the help. =D
I am not so familiar with wiz and maxrollcould not help me with my question.
Now maxroll will be a good rescource.