Is it worth buying D2R yet?

If you enjoy having gear stolen or glitched out of existence after hours of farming the same exact maps hundreds of times then maybe D2R is for you.

Maybe if you wanna experience the awful game breaking nerfs and changes made since Diablo 2 launched twenty years ago then D2R could be for you.

If you love micro transactions and paying for the best gear in the game you could beat naked with the right cookie cutter build, well maybe you’ll enjoy D2R.

If you are a fan of safe quiet spaces and purposefully busted chat rooms filled with bots directing you to buy loot, then maybe D2R is your cup of tea.

If you don’t mind waiting in line to log in and join a game every time you feel like playing then D2R is worth the money.

1 Like

I run solo also, never group up. Is solo play also prone to server problems? I can’t see waiting a half hour for a server to let me play solo.

1 Like

With the exception of the first day I have not had any of the issues that others are having. Nor do I leave and start the game over and over which seems to be part of the problem for some. I think my longest Q time was 2 minuets. The only problem I have is the loading screens take a long time, once I am in and playing all is good.

If you like the updated graphics its nice. I’ve only played the game off-line solo. There is plenty of good and bad. For example, you are forced to log into battle.net just to play off-line solo. This means I’m taking up a spot online unnecessarily. Here is another example… There was a small area on the map in Lower Kurast or Kurast Bazaar that could cause my gear to flicker in the inventory screen. All of my equipment would flicker between white and purple, like a strobe light. I have been unable to replicate the behavior. I even ran mem check for 14 hours just to rule out a potential bad RAM issue.

Of course there are the server issues and the queue issue, but I suspect they will resolve those at some point. There are other issues but I won’t bother to list them.

As long as you are ok with dealing with the online issues and are OK with the attitudes and behaviors of the D2 online community then you would most likely enjoy the game. I do believe it is over priced.

Good luck.

@Kilometer,
@Argos,
@Steve,
@Meteorblade,
@Avalon:
I made a thread 25 days ago asking the same question as the OP. I got a lot of negativity. However, no such negative energy is targeted at another player asking the same question. I don’t see any posts telling the OP he can just go post in the D2R console forum or go post on reddit. Let’s be clear, I’m NOT asking for you channel to heat and negativity in @PowerCosmic’s direction, but why the beam all that anger and heat in my direction when asking an honest question?

I’m replying to you guys because you replied in both threads.

Just to be clear, in the thread you’re referring to, I made three replies. One to MissCheetah, one to AXeLpro and one to Jammur, i.e. at no time did I reply to you in that thread. So, if you got heat, it wasn’t beamed at you by me so don’t try and drag me into whatever you’re trying to do here.

My first response was to this which was just another of the “I cannot post on the D2 forum so I will use the D3 forum instead.” “Oh thank you sir for pointing out the stupidity of locking the D2R forums to pre-order folks only so that any non-pre-order folks have no voice.” PowerCosmic is a D2 fanboy who asked D3 players a question. He was not complaining in this one. By the time I replied in yours you were already complaining on the D3 forum about not having access to the D2R forum.

No you didn’t reply to me directly but you made sure spread that heat at me indirectly. Here is what I’m referring to:

I do not see how you are not indirectly referring to me and the thread I made (and indirectly the other D2R threads as well). While “they don’t actually have to post them in the wrong place” was pushed to the thread I started, you are mild mannered in this thread. You wish you didn’t have to read anything about it, yet your reply to this thread, 11 days ago, reads like a pretty benign straight answer to the OP’s question which is the same as mine. @PowerCosmic is posting in D3 general because he cannot post to D2R general, which was the same scenario I was in. I am not trying to do anything. I’m calling it straight as you posted. My apologies if my thread offended you personally.

In my thread I was doing the exact same thing as @PowerCosmic is doing in this thread regardless of him being a D2 fan boy or not. I posted in my thread that I could not speak in the D2R gen forum, the same as @PowerCosmic can’t do unless he buys the game. There was no complaint on my part, but a justification for why I was asking the D3 community. @PowerCosmic didn’t have to justify his post. He got straight answers. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe anyone is posting in this thread that the thread topic is a violation of D3 general rules and that thread could be flagged as such.

Again, I don’t own any consoles and have no desire to deal with them so asking console players about D2R PC would seem like a bad idea to me. There are differences in the PC and console versions of D2R. Those who only have experience with the console version would have a skewed view of D2R and most likely miss the nuances of the PC version.

I’m sure you are quite aware of the above. I’m neither a D2 or D3 fan boy. I like both games. The difference I’m bringing up is that in this thread you give a straight answer. In my thread you chose to follow Argos.

Here is @Argos:

Of those who did reply to my thread I would figure @Avalon and @Meteorblade would have just gave straight answers (just like in this thread) and possibly a friendly heads-up in regard to the rule change with respect to D2R threads.

Then go to Reddit. :bulb:

Are you referring to @PowerCosmic or just me. Pick one.

Yes it’s a lot of fun. Reminds me how much better D2 was as a game and what a miss D3 was. Can’t believe how bad they f 'd up with D3.

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion. I’m sure it’s unbiased. Personally D3 is leaps and bounds better than a twenty year old tired game. And judging from all you D2 fanboys constantly visiting the D3 forum instead of playing your great game, tells me a lot.

2 Likes

Its a lot harder than d3. And is extreamly addictive.

Next week there’s going to be a PTR on D2R server fixes, internal testing ongoing this week, we shal see how well they managed to overcome the issues.

So two things.

1. It should be easy to tell I have played D3 and a decent amount i’m not some rando who walked in. I know I know… that goes against your “unbiased” opinion.
  2. Its just facts man. D3 is such a shallow nothingness game.

Explain to me why Diablo 3 is so great. And before you answer also explain why Diablo 2 is so bad. Makes me very curious.

I think only OG D2 players will appreciate D2R, its really good as a remaster but it didn’t age well. I had fun for a couple weeks but if nothing change for seasons there’s a good chance I uninstall it and never play it again.

2 Likes

yea this looks like the case
the way 2r looks is not good vv def did not do a good job.

look how the chards look movement wise its like its in beta or well like d3 instead of d2 its totally slow and wierd, like they’re running touchdown drills pivoting around all leaning its so bad.

i mean vv did some things great but some things are deal breaking for sure its not this “vv did a great job” situation they messed up pretty bad and any long time d2 person (so anyone over 30) would know that easy w/o having to think.

like llama (well usually the chat everything a streamer says is almost always a group thought or passed on from someone in chat) is showing,

2r has like infi attack speed its totally a beta pitched as done to get a deadline done its awful, i wouldn’t touch that game its like this half way done situation and the insulting part is they just did a money grab on 2. if it wasn’t a mon grab they’d be all over fixing it up and talking about that, like insta speed talking. they aren’t , its just out there grabbing money and not done well lol.

i mean lets not forget 2r didnt even add endgame so allllllllll this item hunting is for what just pvp? you dont even need to hunt for any items but spirit its the only item you need to beat the game and you can get it in like 20 minutes its so embarrassing vv’s take on 2. vv probably makes spirit swords all the time and like thinks that’s what d2 is about. there was a time when 2 didnt have enigma and so forth.

If you don’t mind micro transactions in a twenty year old title. I mean nothing besides the graphics and drop rates seem to have changed. You can buy a rune for like $100 but the forums got a boatload of posts about people not being able to find them… Yeah it’s against the terms of service but not like it matters, especially if you enjoy the game and buy it again after getting a ban for buying gear.

I could link my BTC wallet, I could probably put the money towards something better then something that has been sitting in my trash can.

1 Like

I’ll buy D2R when AJS Alex tells me it’s all good.

The boys at the Angry Joe Show don’t have a dog in this race like the streamers, haters and D2 for life fanboys do.

1 Like

If you don’t know D2, it’s definitely interesting. It also depends on your attitude. D2 should not be considered an item grind game. D2 is fortunately a little more game with different priorities.

That starts with the classes. Unlike D3 where basically all classes feel identical because they are bent to fit the end-game competition, D2 always offers a playful and perceived partly strongly changed gameplay, depending on the skill within the class and depending on the class.

And then you are also less driven in the game to want to get through at all costs. Getting through is not the point of D2. Playing the world has a much better and greater impact here, and that’s how you should approach it.
It’s very liberating and at the same time D2 offers a better arc of tension, although it also has its hangs.
For example, the long way through the monastery and then through the prison and then in the catacombs to Andariel is a bit monotonous. From a story and suspense point of view, much more could have been taken out of the whole thing around the cathedral/monastery and it could have been more profound and underpinned with side branches that have more significance.

But overall, the acts feel very different and are entertaining.
In D3, everything was rather dry and monotonous. There were fewer situations here where I felt tension at times. For example, in the archives of the mage from Act 2 in the desert was quite nice. Even better for me was the way to Asmodan in act 3 as soon as you finally got past the wall. I would say that this area with the snow zone and then in the mountain and there in the tower, was for me the best section of D3. Here I had finally felt a little Diablo Feeling and the way had been fun. Asmodan was for me also the best of the whole bosses, apart from his whiny nature. But he had so the blow Diablo boss like from part 2.

But if you already know D2 inside and out like I do and can name practically every item from green and gold on without identifying it, $40 is just too much money. If it ever costs $15-20, I might consider it, but just maybe.

I would like more a D1 including Hellfire Add On as a remake. Because one should miss here the classes like Monk, Warrior and Bogi a few abilities and best still the barbarian and the bard integrate, which were already hidden as a template with in it^^ Of course with own skins and a few talents.

That would be quite a nice thing. Also the Add On Hellfire has been well done at that time. If I remember the crypt with Nakruul at the end, it had a good atmosphere. Nakruul was just a bit too unspectacular in his combat and too simple^^