Is D2R worth $20?

Thx everyone for the feedback. I guess I’ll save those $20 for D4 and hope it ends up being worth it.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

1 Like

Yeah, better save the $20 for the D4 special deluxe edition version (if there is one)…

Look what they did with d2r release. I’d say there’s a significant chance that d2r and diablo 3 will be bundled into diablo 4 pre order for free. A lot of people are saying diablo 4 most likely will be available for pre order on December 8, I’d probably just wait… But then again I’ve no interest in dbuying d4r

I had the same experience. I enjoyed two playthroughs, but I didn’t find a long term appeal.

1 Like

No. As a test I re-installed original D2/LOD and played for a while…then uninstalled. No reason to spend any amount for more of that.

It all boils down to if you liked playing D2 in the past. If you were a fan, you’ll like D2R. I bought it at full pop the second I was able to make the purchase, and I would do it again.

If you’re bored enough to want to buy D2R why not make a seasonal guy instead. We still got AT LEAST another month. I can help you get started later.

1 Like

Yes, I love it. As much as D3. But it does not have drops like rain. It has some difficult moments for a new player. The game design is dated but for it’s age it is great.

2 Likes

It’s only $20. If you only play a few days it’s still worth it.

As a long time Diablo 2 fan who bought it full price, I’d say it’s worth it picking up on sale. Definitely not the full price. The game has noticeable performance and optimization issues and bugs even on some high end systems, it has most of the same online problems as classic D2 had (rampant botting, RMT, wouldn’t be surprised if there’s duping going on although I haven’t checked too much into the whole situation), and some of the game dev’s decisions are divisive to say the least (especially sunder charms).

It has some QoL but it still plays like a 2001 game. It’s D2 LoD with (un)balance changes.

If you really like LoD and want to play it on widescreen and with a nice framerate (assuming you don’t get mad stuttering issues and performance degradation on a RTX 30 series like I’ve seen many people get), it’s worth the discounted price.

That’s kind of a thing depending on how you define viable. But the really objectively strong builds have all been documented already. This is definitely not like Guild Wars 1 where there are thousands of known viable builds.

That’s only a good idea if it’s optional like in single player. I’ve played some mods like PD2 that have permanent players 8 loot, and that has the annoying side effect of making rune farming considerably worse, so sometimes you don’t want that.

Oh, definitely. Didn’t even knew there were mods enforcing it. That sounds terrible.

I got sucked in and picked it up for $20. I don’t think I got my guy past lvl 15 and decided the game was just to slow.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. There might be a 24hr grace period for returns.

50% off I’m going to get it for the switch.

Worths it, and not worth it at the same time. If you played D2 in an out about two decades ago, you’ll most likely find all those fancy changes abit underwhelming and feel like you play the very same game that released years ago. If you have no feeling or itch of nostalgia, keep your $20. To my surprise, none of my friends that fancy D2 cared about D2R and I think this tells much.

That’s an interesting take, I always thought modern LoD leveling is a bit too quick. Although it also depends on the class you pick, certain classes are definitely more of a pain than others to level.

If you’re looking for instant gratification, it’s definitely not the game you want.

1 Like

Modern LoD definitely is lmao

You get cool rune words as early as level 15

Play the Assassin and use the Wake of Fire Trap and use max point Shadow Master. You will get to Hell difficulty without dying once. Well, in online you will because of lag and d/c a lot. In offline mode you won’t. No cheats. No mods. Just legit play from start to Hell.

That’s what I did. I am level 68 and I have 12 mule characters with cool loots. Uniques, rares, gems, runes, socketed items, etc. D2:R doesn’t rain like D3, but good loot drops regularly.

My next one will be a Hammer Paladin. I found a few mid level items, rares and uniques, that will make playing it a little easier and more fun too.

Indeed.
Runewords did way more harm than good for D2.

1 Like