Invoker Skill Question/Opinion

For the invoker build which primary sill should I go with and why?
Punish Celerity
or
Slash Zeal

imgur dot com/a/jaQgtbf

(says I cannot post links for some reason)

Here’s the image:
https://imgur.com/a/jaQgtbf

To post links below TL3 make preformatted text by first highlighting the link and clicking the </> icon in the text editor.

I’d go for Punish - Celerity. It’ll grant block chance (more toughness) and more overall attack speed. In the Invoker build you’ll want lots of attack speed.

Punish is the best option overall - It provides +15% block, which is more toughness AND damage (Keep in mind that being hit does NOT proc Thorns stacks, ONLY hitting a target with Punish/Slash does. Also, only 1 target counts per use of Punish Slash), and since you should be near 100% block, you basically have constant 15% attack speed (Compared to 10% speed MAYBE in density.)

Being hit does proc the stacks. The two-piece bonus of the Invoker set is…

Your Thorns damage now hits all enemies in a 15 yard radius around you. Each time you hit an enemy with Punish, Slash, or block an attack your Thorns is increased by 350% for 2 seconds.

…so, blocking incoming hits absolutely increases your thorns stacks. You can test this very easily by setting the game to an easy difficulty, going to a mob-dense map, and just standing in the middle of a doughnut of mobs. You’ll rapidly get stacks without the need to attack anything.

The reason for taking Punish / Celerity is entirely due to the Attack Speed bonus. This build relies entirely on how rapidly you can hit your targets, as that’s how you apply the six-piece bonus damage to your primary target.

1 Like

Hrmm. I more meant that taking an unblocked hit doesn’t give stacks so you want to maximize your block chance, but I didn’t convey that in the least. Oops.

Awesome thanks everyone, much appreciated. Question though how do you get close to 100% block chance I followed the build at ICy and Im only at ~30%?

My Invoker…
https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Meteorblade-2266/hero/114404119
Easy to spot differences would be my shield has 31% block chance, yours has 20%. I have a Justice Lantern ring with 14% block chance (my Invoker’s from before the Captain Crimson changes so I’m not needing a RoRG). So, there’s an immediate 25% difference in block chance.

Also, don’t forget to take into consideration that whilst in combat (as opposed to looking at your character sheet details in town) you’ll regularly be casting Provoke / Hit Me for a 50% increase in your block rating.

Long term, you might want to check out how I re-rolled on my Pig Sticker. Remember, this build is in no way based on weapon damage, it’s entirely about how fast you can apply your thorns, so it’s perfectly viable to roll the elemental damage portion of your weapon off for a more useful affix.

Oh, and you should change the rune you have on Laws of Valor. Using Unstoppable Force is a waste, as the build has zero Wrath spenders. You’re much better off with Invincible for the extra recovery it provides.

What are your thoughts on the CC change?
Should I revert back to the full invoker build?