Invoker 6p bosted from DepthDiggers?

Is DD double the 15000 thorns damage from 6p bonus of Invoker?
I think it should, but not tested yet.

As i remember since two years ago 6p Invoker won’t benefit from DD. But maybe something changes was maded in this way?

Sadly no.
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/depth-diggers-Unique_Pants_006_p1
It boosts skill damage not “damage” in general.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/class/crusader/active/punish
Punish is just a means to apply Thorns damage quickly, damage can even be rolled of the weapon.

Not only do the Depth Diggers not bring any useful benefit, in order to wear them and maintain your six-piece Invoker set bonus you’d need to equip or cube the Ring of Royal Grandeur, thereby losing either Convention of Elements (good damage) or Justice Lantern (good mitigation, causes you to get stacks from the 2-piece quicker).

Invoker is pure Thorns damage, so no. DD does not benefit Invoker at all since it buffs the Slash/Punish damage, not your Thorns damage.

So i think AD in Invoker isn’t much needed? And i want to remove it from pieces of my gear like rings, pigsticker?

P.S. why i can’t add the link to my char?

Whether you can post clickable hyperlinks on the forums or not depends on your forum Trust Level. A method that works for everyone at Trust Level 1 or higher is this…

1. Copy the URL from your browser to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post and click the </> button in the editor, to turn the URL into pre-formatted text
  4. This will result in something like…

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Gardemarin-2333/hero/124348062

But, because I have higher Trust Level, I can do this for you…

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Gardemarin-2333/hero/124348062

By the way, I notice you have Squirt’s Necklace in your Cube’s jewellery slot. That’s a terrible choice for an Invoker whose very purpose is to be getting hit in the face non-stop. CoE or Justice Lantern would be better choices.

Oh, and your shield. I wouldn’t have re-rolled it to get the CDR primary affix when you could have re-rolled the secondary to get up to 9500 thorns.

1 Like

Why not have AD on rings? Thorns cant crit so the only other things u would have are CDR and a socket.

Cause the aoe part of the set is too low to make ad worth it. The 6-piece damage bonus doesn’t proc the 2-piece aoe component, so the majority of the damage is only single target and doesn’t benefit from ad.

Ad has some usage in a akkhan + invoker combo where the majority of your damage is from standard thorns doing aoe.

Doesn’t bombardment benefit from AD?

Thx for advice!

I swap JL for rorg, because of CC.

With SN and MWG in 100-105 (for just gem UP-ing runs) i’ve got x2 damage half-of the time on yellows, enen on some blues too. On the RG SN works even better, is like 90% of the time i have x2 from ammy. And i’m not use potion at all.

Today i clear 108 in 11:38 with BotT and it feels wery squishy. Every time i’m forsed to use potion, all the time near-death situations in density.

I’ll continue to test high (for me) clears but i must to say - i like comfort playstyle. SN + MWG combo gives it. And also busted even more by laws of hope shield.

p.s. AA with good stats is like impossible. But this game is about grinding. Maybe luck smile to me too )

It does, but it’s too low to compete with the st damage, thus the set has moved away from aoe, and become a elite hunter build.

Punish damage is physical. The damage of punish with the six piece set is calculated based on thorns (after applying the 2 & 4 piece bonus). The fact that the punish damage is calculated based on thorns does not make punish damage thorns. Likewise weapon damage attributes (damage and damage %, CHD, etc) do not affect punish damage of the Invoker Set because those factors do not count in calculating punish dame with the set. Consequently, DD should give you a 100 % damage increase.

I’m playing a hardcore Invoker right now above GR80 with a weapon damage total of about 33,500 showing in inventory. I rolled the weapon damage to CDR or vitality I think. I’ve also rolled strength or CH to something else on every item.

You can cube DD in place of Heart of Iron or Sanguinary Vambraces. Heart of Iron increases your thorns slightly. SV increases the two or four piece bonus but not the six piece bonus. DD only affects Punish damage (the six piece bonus).

The six piece bonus of 15000% of thorns damage is not thorns damage. Punish damage is physical. The six piece bonus changes how punish damage is calculated when wearing the six piece set. That’s why strength has minimal effect and weapon damage, WD% and CH have no effect on Punish Damage while wearing the six piece set.

DD does affect Punish Damage.

Depth Diggers increase your Punish damage. However, your primary attack damage is based on your weapon damage not your thorns value. As Punish accounts for a tiny percentage of an Invoker’s damage output doubling it is utterly pointless, especially as including them means you’d need to use a Ring of Royal Grandeur to make up for dropping the set pants, so you’ll lose the benefit of an equipped / cubed ring (CoE or Justice Lantern) to do so.

Look at the damage figures for Punish…

Damage applied by Punish = 2,505,294
Damage applied by Thorns = 130,890,464,133
This is why you don’t use Depth Diggers because who cares about doubling the Punish damage to 5 million when your thorns is doing 130 billion? It’s under 0.01% of your damage.

Do you also see the damage calculation formula? Strength is a damage multiplier and has a massive affect on your thorns damage (and, of course, your armour / mitigation / recovery). In another thread I’ve seen you suggest augmenting gear with vitality instead of strength. That’s not just bad advice, it’s completely, unequivocally wrong.

2 Likes

We need downvotes for deliberate misinforming posters such as this.

Yes, your thorns increase slowly as your strength increases but strength does not massively increase thorns. However, the strength damage multiplier does not affect the 6 piece bonus to punish damage just like CHC and CHD do not affect the amount of punish damage resulting from the six piece bonus.

You are still stuck on the 6 piece bonus being thorns. Punish damage is not thorns.

The Invoker 6 piece bonus deals 15000% of your thorns to the first enemy hit with either Slash or Punish. And yes, it’s specifically thorns damage. As such it’s a completely separate damage modifier which is not affected by anything that modifies Slash or Punish damage directly. That is why skill damage modifiers, including the one from Depth Diggers, don’t affect Invoker 6 piece bonus.

If a skill directly uses thorns as a damage source (for example Bombardment - Barrel of Spikes), the skill damage modifying affixes will then increase the total damage output. However neither Slash nor Punish have this option, as such skill damage modifiers are irrelevant with Invoker.

Ok, we are having an argument about what “Punish deals” means. I am arguing that the 6 piece bonus calculates punish damage according to the formula in the six piece bonus. You are arguing that the six piece bonus adds thorns damage.

Let me do a little experimenting.

The Invoker 6 piece damage is applied to the first enemy hit and only the first enemy. Since Punish and Slash can hit multiple enemies, in order to make the 6 piece damage bonus to work properly the game has to treat is as a separate modifier. Because of this the skill damage modifying affixes on gear have no effect on that.

I experimented on Zoltan and Depth Digger made no difference. You are correct.

I also experimented on Zoltan with several variations and it appeared that the Captain Crimson Variation will give the best overall performance because of CDR and double pylon duration. I’m sticking with Blood Brother (weapon cubed) since it gives a damage boost plus increasing block % which increases both the 2 piece and 6 piece bonus. With Captain Crimson, I’m using Coven’s Criterion as shield and Justice Lantern and Unity as rings with Ring of Royal Grandeur cubed. Justice Lantern and Coven’s Criterion also increase 2 piece and consequently 6 piece bonus. Now if I could only figure out the number of blocks per second in the 2 piece bonus, I think I finally might have a decent understanding of the Invoker build.