Invoker 4pc buff/rework idea

(4) Set: Bombardment gains the effect of the Barrel of Spikes rune. Manually casting Bombardment increases the bonus damage from 200% to 20,000% of your Thorns on each impact, but expends all your Wrath. You take 50% less damage for 20 seconds after damaging an enemy with Bombardment.

It’s possible that this kind of change would be too much since invoker is pretty good as is. But the idea is making bombardment have some better synergy with the build and deal real damage. If the 6 pc needs to be toned down a little bit for this kind of change then im ok with that too. But i want bombardment to be a big damage moment for invoker.

With this you could also pick another rune like Targeted in order to burst down elites/rift guardians.

1 Like

i approve of this

i posted previously about better utilising bombs in this build but mainly to deal massive aoe. so this would work

I don’t get it. Now if you manual cast bombs you lose aquila and risk dying. And if you want to deal damage with bomb, I’m not sure a ×100 dmg bonus is going to cut it, considering how weak LoN bombard is (compared to the rest), and LoN bomb is 100% focused on buffing bombardment, so most likely you won’t deal significant damage with it.
On the other hand, if it does do significant damage, then there is no reason to even play the 6p invoker, and you just slap 3p of invoker and buff bombardment as much as possible otherwise.

id like it to take over the aoe part of the set, can maybe add a multi to hack/voltiris spiker etc that multiplies by %xxx if it hits 3 or more enemies. as an example.

i mean having it on the bar with barrell of spikes in the invoker build should be enough to keep aquilas and do enough aoe to deal with trash and maintain the single target from the 6pc.

The issue is that Aquilla’s is THE chest piece of choice for Invoker’s set. Sure, you’ll regen wrath quickly enough with the high attack speed innate to Invokers, but losing that damage protection is an instant death sentence in high GRs. What’s more, it only affects on-cast Bombardment, not Belt of the Trove bombardment.

You also would NOT take any other rune except Barrel of Spikes. As Invoker’s is a pure-Physical build, this means we take +%physical damage wherever possible, and the only other non-physical rune for Bombardment is Impactful, which is just terrible. Minefield is also terrible. As Invoker’s does not stack neither Critical Strike nor Critical Damage, Annihilate is terrible. Finally, Targeted is superfluous, since the spread for Bombardment still 100% ensures that it will always hit a target, and generally will hit the nearest target to you, providing the target itself doesn’t move (And if it’s a fast moving target, Targeted is even more likely to miss since it aims at where the target WAS). Swapping to any other rune means you lose out on 40-60% damage, and Bombardment no longer benefits from the Physical burst window

In terms of RG/Elites, Invokers is one of the best builds in the game at killing elites, but only in solo play, and only when you gather enough mobs to keep your invoker stacks at 25 (look up density gathering in D3).

Finally, LoN-Bombardment would STILL be the better build for a player looking to have their damage based heavily around Bombardment. This change would only help to infinitely boost Invoker’s AoE capability, which would probably boost us straight to GR 150, since we have near-0 AoE capability atm, and are 100% a dedicated elite/GR slayer build (Even Impale build has AoE capability with Area Damage, we lack even that)

Keep in mind that the D3 devs tend to significantly overbuff, and then overnerf builds, they have shown themselves to be 100% incapable of balance in this game.

If you want Bombardment playstyle, seriously, give LoN Bombardment a try via the Legacy of Dreams gem. It’s very solid.

Just remove bombardment. I hate it. To me it makes no sense why it’s used with thorns. I know it has a thorns rune. But the skill itself doesn’t fit.

1 Like

My suggestion would be ;

(4) Set : You take 50% less damage for (12-20) seconds after casting Provoke. Duration and Radius of Provoke are doubled.

This would both fit the theme of the set better, prevent the death spiral that may happen from the Belt of the Trove effect not passively triggering in time, and help alleviate grouping issues that exist for the set.

I’d also like to add to it and say I’d appreciate the set a lot more if most of the damage were shifted to thorns percentage modifier rather than the massive portion of the damage coming from Punish hits, this would give the set more aoe potential, and make the enemies that are attacking you actually take damage.

Higher base thorns would also open the build up to using other thorn related pieces that are currently in game as well, rather than those pieces being 2nd/3rd class pieces.

But vs slow monsters that attacks once / 3 seconds, this will take a long time to kill em.

To resolve AOE, give Invoker a proper weapon that applies thorns on every enemy hit instead of that steak knife. I suggest giving Neanderthal or Nailbiter some powers to this effect.

Don’t forget sanguinary vambraces exist in the game, if the majority of the sets damage was shifted from thorns to passive thorns multiplier, being hit in a highly dense area would most likely clear the screen in a couple of seconds.

“IF HIT” is the problem with slow single target that rarely attacks.
That is what troubles me.

Then again, please further explain your idea on the “Passive Thorns Multiplier”; perhaps I am not understanding it the way you do.

ps. how do you get to wear Sanguinity Bracer? With RoRG? Cube?

I think the problem with Invoker is the lack of AoE. It should synergise with AoE like Consecration or the set bonus should apply better AoE damage. The lack of progress while killing an elite often leads to failing GRs without lots of yellow elite packs. The number of times I ended up at the GR end pylon without spawning RG with Invokers, I just can’t bring myself to play it anymore. Definatley my least favourite crusader set as is currently.

Are you using Nemesis Bracers? You have your profile hidden so can’t tell.