In game captcha for botters

I game captchas could mostly solve issue of botting.
I am not suggesting every gr should have captcha . Every 5 or 10 game we could enter captchas that would be way better.

This could also be in corporated with the game by some sort of demonic curse story. You have to write the word to lift the curse

8 Likes

When will people learn captchas solve absolutely nothing? Bots already know how solve those.

5 Likes

I am an engineer and it does solve if you use right ways. You will say AI can learn anything. Let me tell you this friend it cant learn what hasnot been discovered. If you update your captchas properly. Problems will be solved.

4 Likes

Not only would it not solve botting, it would annoy legitimate players.

It was already possible for software to solve Captchas three years ago…
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/robotics/artificial-intelligence/artificial-intelligence-beats-captcha

So, introducing Captcha tests would accomplish two things…

1. No detriment to bots, which could solve them just as reliably as humans
  2. Annoying and delaying actual human players
7 Likes

Shouldn’t have captcha all the time, but maybe it could sometimes be required, and if you don’t answer or fail it, the account gets flagged for personal review by an employee.
The only way to stop bots is to ban the heck out if everyone who use them.

Only way to solve botting is to design game play & reward mechanics around quality rather than quantity. Which means getting rid of mechanics like rng.

3 Likes

That would be pretty horrible for an ARPG imo. Don’t let cheaters influence your game design. Try to stop the cheaters instead.

2 Likes

The best vs botters is all weeks a new patch like in other games so they need rebuild her bot programs

what if i don’t care about leaderboards and cheaters and botters… will i have to solve captchas too?

i don’t like this idea…

5 Likes

Just to re-iterate, captchas are machine solvable, i.e. bots can solve them. Implementing captchas therefore would have zero effect on botting but would negatively impact actual human players. So, why would you introduce something that annoys legitimate players and doesn’t stop cheaters?

2 Likes

It sounds like it can help. Just because it is not 100% efficient, doesn’t make 0% efficient.
Maybe alternatives could be to sometimes ask for a Blizzard authenticator code - and require people to have one.
Or send a code to your phone (we all have phones apparently) that you need to enter.

But you are right. It has to be relatively efficient at stopping botters before it is worth doing.
An option could also be to only use it against accounts that have a pattern that increases the likelihood that it might be botting. Like playing a lot of hours, playing at night etc. So average users are less affected.

No. It has to have zero negative impact on legitimate human players otherwise it isn’t worth doing at all, regardless of how effective it would be against bots. You don’t annoy 100% of the non-cheaters on the proviso that it might catch some of the cheaters.

7 Likes

That sounds like a bad idea, I am dyslexic so I must review anything I write 10 times before getting it right. I would be flagged very fast.

1 Like

Name one RPG that has this… :\

what’s the principal activity of the botters ingame ?

LOL, Old wrong answer that would only upset the 90% playerbase that plays legal and truly loves this great game.

Not that I think it would be good for a Diablo game since RNG loot is kind of its thing, but most pure RPGs don’t rely on RNG loot when it comes to the better items in those games.

Captcha won’t stop them. The only real way to even partially stop the botting epidemic is to block China from connecting to other server groups and give them their own segregated space.

As someone who has played online games for many years and has noticed the overwhelming trend and uptick in incidents across many different games, in basically all cases a Chinese player is far more likely to be a cheater (whether that’s third party program use like maphacks, or buying levelling services/engaging in other RMT, both buying and selling) than basically any other nationality in online games.
It’s not a matter of me disliking the Chinese or being racist against them, it’s just a plainly observable and unfortunate fact of life to anyone who has been paying attention to the online gaming scene in the past few years. They certainly aren’t the only ones doing it, but they make up a disproportionately large amount of the incidents.
Hearing it from a Chinese player, the cheating is a deeply ingrained cultural problem, there is no fixing it, especially not from foreigners, not even their government’s social credit penalizing them for the act will stop them, their cheating is near pathological and widespread, and it doesn’t even stop at gaming.

Removing Chinese players from the equation won’t stop all the botting, but it will without a doubt cause a markedly large decrease in it. It’s very telling when a disproportionately large amount of these high position leaderboard spots have Chinese names most of the time. Again, this isn’t meant to be a racist attack against the Chinese playerbase, but simply a reiteration of what many including myself have observed and continue to observe across many online games including this one.

1 Like

When rules become too strict and illogical people won’t follow them for moral reasons, but instead they act out of fear for the government. That is when morals take a backseat while every chance to cheat and screwing your fellow citizens over becomes a mentality to gain advantage in a dog-eat-dog society.

It’s sad that this is the market Blizzard are catering to, and it will eventually change gaming and art to a level where exploitation of customers and mind controlling is more important than the game/artwork itself.

Real art and ideas requires real freedom of mind and speech.

Arent CAPTCHAs generally picture based these days.

“Click on pictures with something in them”

1 Like