Impove the Arachyr set with more creature powers

Currently, the Arachyr set is way underpowered compared to Darts/Carnevil builds and Jade Harvest. A real quick look at the top 1000 on the WD non-season ladder seems to indicate that none of them are Arachyr builds.

There are maybe one or two Helltooth builds on the ladder. Although underpowered next to Darts and Jade, the Helltooth Gargs build is great at regular Rifts and many bounties. But the Arachyr builds are weak to the point of being unusable in any situation.

These are suggestions for elevating the Arachyr set:

[1] The Spider Queen that comes with the 2-piece bonus is just about useless. Its attack AI is not good, and it’s really only of any use against Rift Guardians, when there are no other targets to distract it. The damage it does Is inconsequential and unnoticeable even in mid-level Torments.

Here’s an idea. For the 2 piece set bonus, give the Arachyr SQ the effect of the following Corpse Spiders runes: Leaping Spiders {release jumping spiders that leap up to 25 yards to reach their enemy and attack for a total of 645% weapon damage as Poison}; Spider Queen {the jumping spiders deal 2625% weapon damage as Poison over 15 seconds}; and Blazing Spiders {jumping spiders return 3 Mana to per hit}. Damage is all poison.

That will give the Arachyr SQ some incremental AOE damage that will affect enemies all over the screen. Meanwhile, the Mana return will be a nice bonus, especially for channeling Firebats.

[2] Change Bakuli Jungle Wraps to have the following effects: “Firebats deals 257% increased damage to enemies affected by Locust Swarm or Piranhas; and 350% damage to enemies affected by a Spider Queen and either Locust Swarm or Piranhas.”

Recollect that under this proposal, the Arachyr SQ releases jumping spiders that deal 2625% weapon damage over 15 seconds. Thus, the Arachyr SQ would now buff the damage of the Firebats attack.

[3] Adjust the 4 piece set bonus as follows:

“Hex gains the effect of the Toad of Hugeness and Unstable Form runes. You gain 50% damage reduction and heal for 10% of your maximum Life per second for as long as the Toad of Hugeness is present.”

The Unstable Form rune effect is as follows: “hexed enemies explode when killed, dealing 500% weapon damage as Fire to all enemies within 8 yards.”

[4] These changes could really add to the DPS thanks to the damage multiplier for creature skills from the 6 piece bonus for the Arachyr set. Tweaks would be needed to get the damage right compared to the other builds.

These changes would do the following:

• add a little more graphical flair to the build

• provide buffs that highlight creature powers, which is the idea of the Arachyr set

• makes improvements based on code that already exists

• does not really alter the gameplay employed by people who use the set

• does not simply increase damage or damage reduction numbers, for example, but uses various rune mechanics to buff the character. This adds more depth to the build, and perhaps makes it more interesting for the players. Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.

I don’t know if all of the above presents too heavy a load on the graphics cards, but look at how the Necro can handle Skeletons, Mages, and the like all at once. It does not appear to me that the graphics for Leaping Spiders or Unstable Form are all that bad, and those are the only additions to the graphics load that I am proposing.

Blizz staff, thanks in advance for giving this any amount of attention. Regardless of the above, I hope that the Arachyr set can be upgraded to make it viable in the current high-powered state of the game.

1 Like

I 100% agree with your thoughts on the 2piece bonus, because that Spider Queen is less than useless. However the issue with the Arachyr set is 2 fold. The skills it buffs overlap with other sets that do more for the same skills AND the core skills buffed by Arachyr are, with the pure exception of Fire Bats, total trash in the damage department. Not just because the skills do minor damage, but because of HOW they deal their damage.

Think about Corpse Spiders. Think about Toads. Notice something? That jar takes 18 years to reach your target, does no damage on hit and then you have to wait for the spiders to finish up. Toads fight Demons like its a traffic jam, meaning they take forever to reach their target considering the miserable damage the skill does.

They might as well re-tool the idea behind the set. Make the Spider Queen cast Corpse Spiders herself every second, rotating between the runes in sequence. Have the Toad of Hugeness also summon Plagues of Toads every second in sequence. Have the WD’s skills direct the carnage that ensues and have the skills deal a ton more damage to targets effected by Locust Swarm. Ya know . . . because spiders, toads and bats all love to eat insects right? Just something better than where this set current is at would be marvelous. Such a potentially perfectly thematic set, ruined by weak skills and quirky bonuses.

1 Like

AgelessRed,

I like your idea of having locust infected enemies take more damage from the creature spells, it really fits the theme/fantasy. It should be the 6-piece bonus!

On the old forum in the topic where Nevalistis asked what we wanted to see buffed I also posted something about the creature spells and will copy paste it here, hopefully the devs will notice it now :smile: :

As a WD main I really miss having a build that incorporates the primary critter spells like Corpse Spiders and Plague of Toads. Both skills have an item that gives an effect to the skills but they are underwhelming or is even a duplicate with the skill rune Medusa Spiders.

Furthermore, Piranhas has two of the most beautiful looking runes in the game which are never used because we only use Piranhado.

How about considering the following :

• Depth Diggers : Primary skills and skills that generate resource deal X - X% damage
    This change will open up more rune choices for the primary WD skills but it is also a step in the right direction to make Kridershot/Elemental Arrow (I really love shooting those flaming skulls :slight_smile: more viable for instance.
    And maybe add a little more damage to the pants, 175 - 200%?

• Rhen’Ho Flayer : Plague of Toads deals X% increased damage and now seek out enemies and will explode twice.
    This change will make it certain the toads explode twice and remove the chance. Maybe also look into pathing AI?

• The Spider Queen’s Grasp : Corpse Spiders deals X% increased damage and increases the number of spiders per jar by X (Jay Wilson it!!! :slight_smile:
    Quick and easy fix I think.

• 2-piece Arachyr set : You become the embodiment of Arachyr (Cydaea/Binder model, upper body WD model, lower body spider) and leave behind webs every X second(s) that deal 4000% weapon damage every second for 5 seconds and Slows enemies.
    Way cooler looking and we get the current effect of the Spiders Queen Grasp.

• Wave of Mutilation and Bogadile : Remove the general cooldown for these runes and up the damage. Bogadile should feel like a nuke!
    I don’t think this will be overpowered as the resource cost and casting animation of these skills prohibit us from spamming it.
    Maybe in the future you can add a new mojo with Scrimshaw effect: Increased damage % and resource cost reduction to Piranhas. Art-wise it should be a flapping rotting fish or even funnier a fishbowl with Piranhas jumping out of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would use what is currently buffed by the developers than ask for new updated powers for older sets, it wont happen, it will never happen.

All I can do is make suggestions, I admit it is a wish list. If Blizz says they want feedback, I will give it to them, with no illusions that something will happen.

The easiest thing for the devs to do is, for example, simply boost the damage from the Bakuli Wraps and increase Arachyr’s incoming damage-reduction bonus. If something happens, it would probably be something like that.

But the Arachyr set really does have a useless 2-piece bonus. And I would like to see the set do more to damage trash, which is one point of the suggestions I offer. If the devs only get that message, that’s probably the most I can hope for.

2 Likes