I'm really glad that the current team is listening to the community, but are they listening to the right community?

But they are still reading our crap <3 :slight_smile:

Diablo 3 sold 39 million copies until 2019. It is super successful. The one who thinks otherwise is super drunk. Also, people knew that D3 was not D2 after one year due to massive internet reviews yet D3 is still selling until 2019.

1 Like

To realize THAT - perhaps. You have to be a little bit smarter than your level to realize that over 30 million copies sold doesn’t just happen to bad games, no matter what the marketing.

Sure you wouldn’t. Because you can’t. The only fact that you are basing your opinion on - is your personal distaste for D3. If you didn’t like it - then it is obviously a bad game. And if you repeat it loud enough and often enough - then the devs would listen and make a different game out of d4.
That is the extent of your logic.

Indeed, many times. And then they received counter-arguments that they are as a rule unable to retort to without ad-hominem attacks and loud declarations that it is useless to keep talking to stupid people.
Pretty much what you did in this very post.

A few people will play it.
Kinda like a few people are still playing D2. And you seem to consider those few a solid proof that d2 is better than d3. Which is kind of dumb. I’d D2 was actually better - more people would have played it and they don’t.

Excuses.
There will not be a different distribution on d4 dedicated forums.
Because both d3 players and d2 players currently come here to discuss d4. It isn’t like all d3 players will suddenly lose interest in d4 if it is moved to a different forum. No, they are waiting for D4 just the same as you. They are fans of the series.
And they will move to d4 forums just the same as you.

I’m fact, you explicitly making that remark shows that you yourself feel a huge discrepancy between how few d2 fans there are in the discussion vs d3 fans.
This will not change.

They do. You know what it is?
Scarcity. Diablo 1 and 2 came out when actually good games were few and far between. If you had at least 1-2 good games coming out in a year it was awesome.
Today we have 5-10 heavy-hitters each year, many of them outright beat the greatest hits of the past in quality.
Diablo 1 and 2 came out in a time where every good game was that much more precious. Not only that - they had ZERO competition. They were sole examples of their own genres. Today, many games compete with diablo on many levels - not only isometric Arpg, but looter-shooters like destiny and borderlands.
Furthermore, many other games compete for user attention and time. When I played d2 - there weren’t many games to distract me from that. Today - I don’t even have the time to play everything that I want, and not because I have a job, but because there’s just so much stuff.

It is not a better gameplay and systems than in d3 - they were objectively worse and more limited. If you are going to drool with nostalgia - at least understand WHY those games were loved by you so much, instead of directly equating your enjoyment as a kid with their quality as a game.

3 Likes

Since mr Llama agreed with most of the things they are changing I doubt it is D3 things they listen too. I kinda think he hates D3 but loves D2.

1 Like

He’s a game designer. It doesn’t matter what he loves or hates. If you work on that role you learn putting stuff like this behind and thinking of what your user base wants.

And if millions want a sequel to d3, while thousands want to go back to the roots and to D2 - even if you yourself belong to the latter crowd, it doesn’t matter.

At best, you try to please both. But if you can’t and you have to make a choice - you will choose the bigger crowd and sac the wants of yourself and the smaller crowd.

And you know why such words trigger you so? Because no matter how loudly you yell that everyone hates d3 and that it is dead and how no one plays it - you, yourself, KNOW who is the smaller crowd.

2 Likes

It was 2000… so many people had PCs it spawned a panic called Y2K. Also, Everquest, Ultima Online, Counter Strike… do those games ring a bell?

You’re lost, go back to retail.

#nochanges

So, let me get this straight:
Because I still play D3, that means that Blizzard is wrong to listen to my concerns? God, and people wonder why the community is garbage.

For the record, I’ve played and loved every Diablo game. Just because I didn’t jump on the PoE trollwagon doesn’t mean I’m any less of a Diablo fan.

2 Likes

Blizzard destroyed a franchise and betrayed a player base. D4 is their attempt to reconcile that. Every d2 player in the world is bitter after D3. It’s a pretty logical perspective.

I am not, I like D1, I like D2, I like D3, I now want D4.

4 Likes

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree.

1 Like

I certainly want D4, since they’re clearly catering to D2 players, but i can’t help but marvel at hiring Jay Wilson. And yes, I’m bitter about it.

1 Like

I’ve been following the forums more closely than usual for me since the D4 announcement. I’m very much reminded right now of what happened in the WOW forums when they were flooded with that small segment of WOW Classic players that insisted on creating a Classic vs. Retail ‘war’.

I suspect that the D3 forums are being currently used for D4 feedback because it is the most current version of the franchise. D4 forums will be created when the devs are closer to having an alpha version of the game to test.

My point is that the devs are looking at MANY sources of feedback, not just the forums. What I’m hearing from them is that they are looking at ALL versions of the games in the franchise, and taking feedback from the fans of ALL the games. When that ‘feedback’ is presented in a judgemental and toxic way, it is more likely to be disregarded as biased, if not downright infantile.

Constructive ideas, specific topics, finite vs. infinite, itemization, pve vs. pvp, leveling strategies…if you want to be listened to, this is what you need to give them to work with.

2 Likes

Right? lol.

But what do you expect? There’s a pocket of D2 zealots that will take credit for D3’s success while simultaneously calling it a failure. These people say everyone left after launch, just because they personally left, and ignore the millions of copies sold in the seven years after launch and the success it’s had on consoles.

We live in a world now where facts and reality don’t matter.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

If you are in a position of authority and you ask people for help, that is what you would like to receive. If the response is, you are stupid, you do not know what your are doing, or I can do it better. How in the world does that help anyone. We all know that regardless of what the developers do, the forum will be inundated with the Know-it-all’s, who think they are all that and a bag of chips.

For the Know-it-all’s who want to make D4 in your images, apply for one of the openings.

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/all/diablo/all/all/1

I call it the wow is dying complex. The moment that specific player ceases to enjoy the game in its current state, the game is either dead or dying. Their opinion on it is passed reproach and they will not be argued with. Game it dead. They have spoken.

it’s a view based on ego. How could anyone possibly see things differently than myself? Obviously my opinion is above all else!

Same. I played d1 and d2 more than d3, and know what? I like all three for various reasons. Know what else? I do NOT want a carbon copy of any of the three. I want a new game, with new systems, and new stuff. Inspired by all three, but unique in its own ways.

I do not want a graphically superior D2, nor do I want a graphically superior D3; I want D4.

2 Likes

That’s a spectacular observation. Better than I tried to say lol Good point.

2 Likes

It’s also, most of the time based on personal experience, pointless to even bother. Their minds are made up. Their extremely narrow tunnel vision of bias is impenetrable. Not even the most sound logic ever sways someone who has decided that they are absolutely right, and you are absolutely wrong.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that too.

I’ve had my fair share of squabbles with WoW, even unsubbed at times when I just was not enjoying their direction, but I’ve never gone so far as to say the game is dying. If it were really dying, Blizzard wouldn’t be investing the resources into it they do.

1 Like

I have a fair share of friends in that boat right now. They are waiting out the current content cycle. While they don’t enjoy or agree with the direction it has gone, to say it is dead or dying is a stretch.

It’s about the same as the reach that D3 is a dead game that no one plays. Plenty of people I know do; as much as before? No, absolutely not. I don’t know a single person who touches D2 anymore though. Not one. Which is about as useful as their anecdotes that it’s thriving. Only Blizz knows the exact numbers of participation.

2 Likes

Stop assuming you speak fro everyone. I played Diablo since Diablo 1, I also probably have 10k hours in Diablo 2. I agree that I found Diablo 3 disappointing when it came out but, no, I am not bitter anymore.

Diablo 3 is just a different game, just as Diablo 2 is completely different than Diablo 1. Diablo 3 is not better or worse than Diablo 2, they’re apples and oranges. I can like both for different reasons and I think the devs can learn good things from both games.

Also, hate to break it to you, but Diablo 4 playstyle looks a lot more like Diablo 3. The engine, 6 active skills- you’re basically playing a better version of Diablo 3. As to the other stuff they’re adding, it’s a welcome addition and I don’t know any D3 players opposed to having more complexity. That said, added complexity is not unique to D2 and anything they do end up adding will likely be unique from anything D2 had.

2 Likes