Ideas to improve Tempest Rush

Tempest Rush is one of my favorite monk skills of all time and this thread is to discuss ideas of how to improve the build to make it a “competitive” build. There are several problems with Tempest Rush as it is currently implemented in 2.6.5. The build has less dps than WoL builds and less support items. The build has less survivability than WoL since it is a melee build not a ranged build. The build is also heavily reliant on CC procs to have maximum damage and large HP mobs like champions and RG can build up CC resistance and then you’re doing way less damage than usual.

So how do we fix it? I have a few ideas.

1. The build needs a bit more damage overall. Since the Balance daibo already has a significant 7x multiplier, I don’t think that is a good spot to add more. Cesar’s Memento has a 9x multiplier so that is also not a good place to add more. That leaves Mantle of Channeling and Hexing Pants of Mr. Yan and I think that Hexing Pants is the best spot to add some dps. They should change Hexing Pants to about 75% boost and change it to a multiplicative instead of an additive buff. The only other builds that would benefit from Hexing Pants being changed are WW Barb and Strafe DH. Changing Mantle of Channeling would change the meteor channeling wizards and the Spirit Barrage WD and those builds don’t need as much attention as TR, WW and Strafe.

2. The build needs more survivability. The best way in my opinion is to add a new power to an existing Fist weapon (Logan’s Claw comes to mind) or one handed weapon that would grant you the Ascendance rune to Epiphany for free, that way you can have the toughness of Desert Shroud while also having the CC immunity and extra spirit generation from Epiphany. Having the free stuns from Ascendance would help the build survive but it probably needs the damage reduction portion on Hexing Pants raised to give the build some added toughness.

3. The build is highly reliant on CC effects to reach maximum dps. The only thing I can see is to have Cesar’s proc when you use a CC effect, regardless of if the mob is immune to it but such a change may not be necessary. If they change Hexing Pants like I proposed, that may be enough for the build to compete.

The goal is not to replace WoL builds with TR builds. The goal is to have TR, LTK and WoL be somewhat competetive with each other so that players can play the style that they enjoy. I hope other monks can add ideas to what can be done to make Tempest Rush better.

2 Likes

Tempest Rush buffs would be nice. There is certainly room and opportunity to rework a fist weapon to buff the skill (e.g., Logan’s Claw, Sledgefist, Won Khim Lau). Perhaps update a spirit stone as well (both WoL and LTK already have spirit stones), and make it effective when cubed.

If they don’t change the CC proc damage requirements, perhaps something like a stone that grants: “Epiphany gains the effect of the Ascendance rune and increases the damage of Tempest Rush by [150-200%] and movement speed by 30%.”

Since TR is generally used with Sunwuko set or Inna’s set, a Spirit Stone is not the best location for a new buff unless it would be replacing Mantle of Channeling or Hexing Pants. MoC is a toughness and damage buff already and Hexing Pants is resource and damage, but as my original post pointed out, Hexing Pants is one of the few remaining additive buffs and it is lacking in power even if they made it multiplicative.

Perhaps adding some TR power to Sledge Fist may help?

It has a decent stun chance as is, so seems a logical choice. Might be nice to change the stun affix to an orange affix (extractable) as well while we’re at it.

Then say Logan’s Claw… might need something there too, so we can use 3 weapon affixes like all our other builds.

I agree about the Hexing Pants too. This item is great for moving channel builds. It certainly needs to be updated. Not sure about the numbers though. Their effect is pretty powerful considering the resource reduction. It’s like Cindercoat, but for channel builds, so perhaps making it multiplicative and upping it to 30% will be enough.

BTW: I’m not a TR expert at all. So if there are already better weapons for it I’m not thinking of, then… I’ll try again I guess? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Are there any viable tempest rush builds with LON, ore the new GEM on PTR?

Or is it still too low survivarbility?

I hope to use lightning, or actualy anny other element then cold, since i hate that skill.

Trapped and Taeguk are pretty essential so going with Legacy of Dreams limits it from high GR since you won’t have room for Stricken. There was a discussion on the old forum about an Inna’s TR variant using Istvan’s Paired Blades and also LoN TR build. It was never conclusive as to the viability of LoN TR but I think it had some potential. Istvan’s Tr was just too spirit intensive to maintain. In it’s current versions, TR builds have too little damage to compete with WoL in any form and have less survivability than most other monk builds to compete with other builds.

Yea, i have tested a few times with items that provide alot og attack speed, it is just impossible to maintain TR. If blizzard removed the insane spirit usage with attack speed it could do alot for TR builds. Besides its not like ANY other skill in the game as that kind of spirit consumption.

How about if it behaved like Chantodo’s Archon wave? The extra attack speed translates to bigger hits, rather than more hits.

Seems like a fitting mechanic for TR too, and in the realm of possibilities it seems.

Really, it just comes down to adding more multiplying bonuses for TR. They are simply lacking those buffs compared to the other builds which really hamstrings the build. To top it all off, as you mentioned, it is incredibly squishy which also stinks since you are in the thick of it.

The suggestions you mentioned are good ones. Adding a Hexing Pants buff would be welcome since movement-based channeling builds are sub-optimal atm.

Really though, the thing that bothers me the most about TR, is the fact that it requires CC to do damage. That really is what hampers my enjoyment of the playstyle. It adds an additional layer to the gear-building process that other builds do not need to go through. Even Manald Heal builds have their damage occur naturally due to the passive instead of building stun chance through gear and talents.

If the devs DO buff TR but want to keep the whole stun-archetype for the build, then at the very least give Ascendance rune to a piece of gear (you mentioned it above but it’s worth reiterating). I also think that, with the current power-creep in the game, adding that alone won’t be enough. Possibly on whatever item they add that to they would also need to add a multiplier of deal X amount of damage to stunned targets.

Whatever it is, I hope they give some love to TR. I have wanted to make this build work for so many seasons and I have tried desperately to make it so. Alas, it has only been viable for speedfarming and, even then, is outclassed by WoL. Shame that.

2 Likes

If, they some day do give TR more damage i hope the change the cold skill.

A fun way to change the cold skill could be:
Remove the stacks, and change it to.

Running 20 yards makes the monk explode with x% cold dmg.(area dmg)

That way increesed running speed also gives you more dmg. And offcorse give back the base 25% run speed to Tr.

I think that could be a simple but elegant way to make cold tr fun again

1 Like