I love the toon Revival for season but

Why only 3? What if I want to roll all classes next season until the toon dies (I’m also and HC player), or until I get tired of playing the toon. I hope you make it to 5 as we only have 11 character slots. Thanks

1 Like

If you have D3+ROS, you have 12 hero slots available (one for each class / gender combination) not 11. Add the Necro DLC and you get 2 more. Add the Digital Deluxe Edition of ROS and you get 3 more. So, it’s possible to have 17 hero slots.

I suspect part of the reason why they restrict how many rebirths you can have per season has nothing to do with how many hero slots you have available, and more to do with storage.

When your existing non-seasonal hero is rebirthed all of their equipped gear, their followers’ gear and their inventory contents are sent back to the non-seasonal email system, where they remain to be collected for up to 30 days.

Now imagine that you fully equip your hero, all three followers, and you put 60 rings / amulets in the inventory, all of which have a gem in them. Potentially, that’s 13 items on the hero, with 9 gems. That’s 18 items on the followers. That’s 60 items in the inventory and 60 gems. Total is 91 items and 69 gems sent back to the email system for each rebirthed hero. Five of those is 455 items and 345 gems.

In other words, people would use this as an extension to Stash space. It would also lead to an increase in annoyed players complaining that their gear had disappeared because they didn’t collect the emails within 30 days.

2 Likes

you’re right, it’s 17. my bad.

makes sense. i’m the type of person that deletes almost everything in non-season to make way for the season items. never thought the rule would accommodate people who store a lot of stuff.

i burnt all my gear when i rebirthed my 2 toons LOL

Why not just make a new character? You can even delete the one you would have rebirthed and give the new one the same name. Or am I missing something about rebirth?

Rebirth continues the amount of time played on that particular character. Also, if you have all character slots filled, can rebirth instead of delete and make a new one.

1 Like

I believe there are plenty of character slots. What we need are more stash tabs.

I didn’t think of that, the time spent now makes me think rebirth might be something I want to do in the future.

1 Like

Rebirth is the way to go. I always have 2 open slots because I play some HC in case I want to try something new and don’t want to lose a character. But for regular seasons I always rebirth a character.

1 Like

Well, you can also do the same when season ends with 13 stash tabs and it doesn’t seem to be that big of an issue. It’s only for 30 days anyway, so basically useless.

Which you can only do every 4 months.

Whereas, with unlimited Rebirths, you’d create a new non-seasonal hero, populate it with gear, rebirth it to seasonal (causing the gear to be sent to the mail), delete the now seasonal hero. Repeat until the entire contents of your stash, and 17 heroes worth of inventory is in the email. Now, keep farming on your non-seasonal heroes, refilling the Stash, and repeat. Think how many times you could fill up the Stash in 30 days, and imagine all of that being sent to the email system.

This is why the number of rebirths available is finite and small.

1 Like

Sure, you can’t go infinite but 3 is very small. I wish we had at least 7, that’s one per class.
Look, I play season… reluctantly, but I do. This current season, I rebirthed a monk, as I usually do. It’s a key farmer. I rebirthed a necro, to play znec, a barb to play zbarb. And I had to delete a crusader, because otherwise, no spot to play crusader, which is the class I actually want to play/push.
The state of the game is such that if you want to play somewhat efficiently, you have to play meta classes, but if you want each of the meta classes (which is better if you want to find groups quickly and painlessly) you have to actually delete your previous characters to do so.

You’re also talking about extreme cases. Do you truly believe that people would do that ? As a dev, if I had to think of corner cases like this, I would just add a warning on the rebirth that says “You already have more than 1000 (or whatever is a good number) items in your mail, you cannot rebirth this character”. Maybe 2 players in the world notice it, 99.99% of the population never encounter the issue, and everybody is happier to not have to delete their characters if they don’t want to.

1 Like

Do you remember the excuse Blizzard gave for not giving us the extra Stash tabs they originally promised? Their case was that if players filled every single tab with jewellery items, each with a gem socketed into it, and four such players joined a group together, that would cause issues because stash contents are synch’d with each player in the group.

Would actual players ever do that? No, but that’s what they used as the reasoning for not giving us the tabs. They’d use similar reasoning for not giving lots of rebirths, I’m sure.

1 Like

The thing is, those stash tabs are permanent, and shared between players within a party. Mail items are not permanent, and might not be shared with the group.

They could even give 3 rebirths with a month “cooldown” and it would still be better than what we currently have while not increasing the max number of items in the mail whatsoever (but it could be used to increase storage space, that’s true).

And I’m not gonna lie, I don’t mind crashing more because of memory issue if that means I get more stash space. Easy to prove : I’m still playing S22
(note: this is intended to be a joke poking fun at the current instability of the game)

Yes, this is what I mean. I want to play all class every season but I don’t want to recreate new ones. It’s better to rebirth instead. Like it’s nice to see how many elite kills a toon has my entire playing life and how many hours I have spent playing on that toon <3

Especially in HC. I would want to play the toon over and over until it dies of whatever reason. And if it survives every season of rebirths, it would be awesome to see the toon’s stats by then.

If you delete a toon, the stats such as hours played and elites killed will be gone. I noticed that when you rebirth a toon, those stats roll forward. So for example, if your non-season toon had 110 hours played with 13,000 elite kills rebirths into the next season, when you play your new toon in the new season, hours played and elite kills that you will accumulate will be added to your baseline stats.